Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 06-06-2005, 11:28 AM

Turbocharger in the trunk?

I was surprised to see in the current edition of Air & Space-Smithsonian that the old Republic P-47 Thunderbolt fighter from World War II had a turbocharger and intercooler located aft of the pilot; a long, long way from the 18-cylinder, air-cooled radial engine up front. The routing of the cold air intake from the lower engine cowling backward beneath the cockpit gave the plane it's characteristic "jug" profile.

I'm not into modding but figured this might generate some interesting discussion.

dcb
Old 06-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
http://www.ststurbo.com/home

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-06-2005, 01:45 PM
SVX Appeal

I don't know about airplane engines in particular, but air-cooled engines frequently have problems with running too hot. Metallurgy 'back in the day' wasn't what it is now. Perhaps those old turbos couldn't handle the heat.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Wreckless

It was actually a fitment & space issue in the Thunderbolt, they wanted as much stuff inline as possible for the best possible aerodynamics with having that ginormous Pratt & Whitney Wasp engine.
There's a lot of rear mount turbo setups around these days but I'm leery of them because of the potential problems with depending on a dedicated sump and oil recirculation pump to keep the oil getting back into the engine.
There's also the efficiency considerations from having the exhaust traveling so far to reach the turbo, and the intercooler piping reaching so far to get back to the engine. With an aircraft or vehicle with a big engine (like a LS1 Camaro and the like) this is less critical but on smaller engined cars like Supras, SVXs, and particularly anything with a 4 cyl will suffer considerable lag because of it.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:54 PM

I'll be in PA the weekend of july 4th... where I will be having a turbo made for my SVX by Blouche Turbo in Lebanon, PA just for the purpose of trying the remote mount.... im a domestic f-body owner too. So I have spent tons of time reading on the remote mounts and have seen a few in real life. They work very well w/ no drawbacks. Even if you dont use a intercooler... the charge pipe running up acts as a roughly 50% effecient heat exchanger... It will take a few months to get everything together...but I figured while up there... i might as well buy a nice made to order turbo for later use.
-ECU Stage 1 Chip *
-Alluminum Drive Pulley *
-Stage 1 Shift Kit
-Small Car Clear Lenses and Corners
-1997 SVX Grill
-17" X 7" Enkei Shoguns
*Thanks Dayle! (SVX Motorsports)

1987 Pontiac Formula 350
-Enough (Once I put it back together again)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: