SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 08:32 PM
92AWDSVX

Unhappy Please Please Please Help Me!!!

Ok heres the story

Car was running fine on sunday no problems at all. Then i go to go to school on monday and click is all i get when i go to start it. So first thing is i think ok the starter is shot, so i replaced the starter today, and tried to jump start it and STILL NOTHING! just click everytime i turn the ignition! WHAT COULD IT BE PLEASE HELP ME!!! I NEED TO BE ABLE TO GET TO WORK IM LOSING MONEY w/o a CAR! Help!!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 10:12 PM
92AWDSVX

Please Please Please Help Me!!!

Ok heres the story

Car was running fine on sunday no problems at all. Then i go to go to school on monday and click is all i get when i go to start it. So first thing is i think ok the starter is shot, so i replaced the starter today, and tried to jump start it and STILL NOTHING! just click everytime i turn the ignition! WHAT COULD IT BE PLEASE HELP ME!!! I NEED TO BE ABLE TO GET TO WORK IM LOSING MONEY w/o a CAR! Help!!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
When you say click, what kind of click? One, or more? When does it click? More information please.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 05-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92AWDSVX
Ok heres the story

have you tried crossing the terminals on the starter and seeing if it cranks? not sure about this on svx but works on others i've worked on. try taking the starter off and cranking it and make sure the motor ain't froze could even be a locked up pulley possibly. check it out by trying to turn the motor over with a breaker bar. should be a nut to do this with on the crank but like i said not an svxpert yet. check it out and let me know what you find.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:56 PM
fl_svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92AWDSVX
Ok heres the story

Well, here are my two cents worth. If you replaced the starter and have the same symptom, logic would suggest that it is not the starter, but you probably already figured that out. You said you 'jumped' the car and same result. Now, I have never been a big fan of not being able to jump a car as a problem not related to a battery. Now, if you are comfortable with the battery being okay and since you get a click, presumably at the starter, the next thing I would be looking for is a grounding problem. Years and years ago I owned a Chevy Monza, the only Chevy I owned. One day, I tried to start the car and there was a slow start from the starter and it would not start. Eventually, the starter would not even turn over and the car would not go into gear (automatic). Well, Chevy used a cable syatem for this tranny. I replaced the shift cable and the car started! A couple of days later the same thing happened. Had to replace the cable again. Then I figured it out. The block (aluminum) was grounded to the frame by way of a web type grounding strap. The contact surface of the strap was corroded and the next ground in line was the shifter cable, which could not carry the load and burned in half. I would suggest fabbing a strap of sufficient gauge and bolt it somewhere to the engine and somewhere on the body/frame. Just a thought, that's all.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Wink

if you have any suspisions it maybe a electrical problem, then just do the alt. wiring upgrade and that should fix that. a quick way to try try ground theory is to run a 4 ga. wire from the compressor bracket on the ac to the negative terminal of the battery and try one from the battery to the frame too. one ground wire is hooked up under your battery towards the front of the car and mine was pretty corroded so look at it and make sure it's clean.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:15 AM
92AWDSVX

One Click... I turn ignition and CLICK that it
Old 05-25-2005, 06:32 AM
92AWDSVX

when i try and start i get ONE click and thats it... and then it stops
Old 05-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I'm still asleep so sorry if I missed anything from my reading

1. Did you try another battery or jumping it. A weakened battery that is still reading 12 plus volts can lead to the same sympotoms.]

2. Its hard on the SVX but you can try crossing the wires on the starter. Take a GOOD INSULATED SCREWDRIVER and bridge the wire coming from the battery to the "clip" wire termial on the back of the starter (you'll have to take it off. You also want the keys in the on position when you do this. DO NOT ground anything when you do it and expect it to spark like crazy.

If this works it could be one of a few things:
Bad cable or terminals running from the battery to the starter so clean them up and check for corrosion.

A bad ignition switch

A bad starter relay

99% of the time it would be battery related or cable related as most people negelct the cables, ground and termals.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:34 AM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
I'm still asleep so sorry if I missed anything from my reading

1. Did you try another battery or jumping it. A weakened battery that is still reading 12 plus volts can lead to the same sympotoms.]

2. Its hard on the SVX but you can try crossing the wires on the starter. Take a GOOD INSULATED SCREWDRIVER and bridge the wire coming from the battery to the "clip" wire termial on the back of the starter (you'll have to take it off. You also want the keys in the on position when you do this. DO NOT ground anything when you do it and expect it to spark like crazy.

If this works it could be one of a few things:
Bad cable or terminals running from the battery to the starter so clean them up and check for corrosion.

A bad ignition switch

A bad starter relay

99% of the time it would be battery related or cable related as most people negelct the cables, ground and termals.
yes i did try to jump it.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:34 AM
92AWDSVX

thanks for the help
Old 05-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If the headlamps dim significantly while trying to start (but not turning over) and jumping the battery didn't help it's either a bad cable or starter. If the lights don't dim much try jumping the battery cable terminal of the starter to the small terminal on the solenoid. If it still doesn't start you probably need a new starter/solenoid. Jumping the two large terminals on the starter isn't a very safe procedure but as a last resort, after trying the above procedures, you probably have a bad starter.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If you keep clicking it repeatedly will it eventually start. Perhaps you also need to install a starter relay. Use the search function to search for "starter relay" and you will find similar symptoms and how to wire it up.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Team ROUND 1

Send a message via Yahoo to 1320boy
This may sound stupid but, hows your battery? And have you checked ALL your conections? Sometimes the littist things can cause the wierdist problems.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:53 PM
92AWDSVX

it click once, thats it, then just nothing happens so by me holding the ignition on start it dont do anything but drain the batter, and yes i am going to check the battery....