Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 07:34 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
Nice Chike. I likey, I too am getting a new exhaust in 2 weeks. I will be cutting the 2 pre-cats out. I am running a brand new custom header back system. Since I do not have the machinery required to do such a task, i will have a shop do it. I am gonna go 2x2.25" from manifold to cat then 2.5" from cat to y splitter. Then 2x2.5" to twin 40 series 2 chamber flowmasters out to the stock tips. I will be maintaining the stock flanges for the cat and having them cleaned up and welded up to the new ehaust system. Gonna cost me $400 plus but it should be worth it.

Tom

P.S. I am cutting the pre-cats to prep the car for the stage 2 nitrous package which hopefully is in the future this summer!!!
Thanks Tom.

As a word of caution, definitely talk with a few people on these boards about the ideal size for exhaust piping on the svx. From the manifold back to the single cat, 2x2.25" piping may be too big (even if NO2 is in your future). 2x2.0" should be give you all the flow you'll need. 2.5" back to the Y-pipe is good, but 2x2.5" to the twin flowmasters may again be too large (2x2.25" should be more ideal).

Either way, do what you feel is best for your car, and may fast times meet you at the end of the 1/4 strip in '05!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-31-2005, 07:48 PM

Never really got...

..to play around with the car at highway speeds until today during my lunch break. Near my work is an on-ramp to Interstate 64 with a speed limit of 65mph.

As the road was clear, when I turned off onto the ramp, I brought the car to a halt and brake-torqued her up to stall speed. Previously stall was around 2500-2550rpms. Today the tach needle was a right around 2700rpms...

When I floored it, all four wheels broke traction briefly and she raced through the first two gears faster than I've ever experienced in this car before! The sound above 3000 rpms is just totally unreal - damn I love that sound!!!

-Chike

Last edited by Chiketkd; 01-31-2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Chike that looks nice!!
I have a concern about this little adventure of your. If I read it right you went to see Tom, in West Virginia, to get your pipes bent and when he was done you felt extra torque in your butt dyno ?!?!?!

"Lord I apologize"

I just could not hold it back.

That is a nice looking set up. Tom need to make up a few more and sell them.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 01-31-2005, 07:59 PM

Now you're a funny guy Steve!

Thanks for the compliments! Maybe Tom might take your suggestion to heart - it'll definitely make installing a Magnaflow muffler much easier...

-Chike

Old 01-31-2005, 08:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Chike, I know you said you kept the 3 cats, but did you keep the resonator as well? Or did you run a straight pipe or replace it with a glass pack like so many others do?

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Chike, I know you said you kept the 3 cats, but did you keep the resonator as well? Or did you run a straight pipe or replace it with a glass pack like so many others do?

Johnny
Johnny,

I removed my stock 'restrictive' exhaust resonator since last summer. Replaced it with a 2.5" OD straight pipe.

Personally, I like the sound as is...but a glass pack or high flow resonator (that Dayle sells) would definitely make the sound a bit more subtle. I just love the few extra decibels that the exhaust note makes.

-Chike

Old 01-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Chike,
I was thinking the same thing with the 2x2" to cat to 2.5" to 2x2.25" to mufflers and respectively to tips but the exhaust guys was really hanging up on the 2.5 mufflers. I will see what i can do with him. That was my origonal setup I had in mind. Well good luck with your beast. Hope to see u at reading.

Tom
Old 01-31-2005, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Chike,
I was thinking the same thing with the 2x2" to cat to 2.5" to 2x2.25" to mufflers and respectively to tips but the exhaust guys was really hanging up on the 2.5 mufflers. I will see what i can do with him. That was my origonal setup I had in mind. Well good luck with your beast. Hope to see u at reading.

Tom
Sounds like you had originally mapped out a pretty good exhaust. Don't let some of those exhaust guys talk you into a bigger set-up - they're focused on increasing the final price you pay. The system they recommended would probably work well on a 4.6L Mustang/ 5.7L Camaro-bird, but would be way too big for the EG33.

Hope to make it to Reading in April!

-Chike

Old 02-01-2005, 12:53 AM
Turbo Member

Send a message via AIM to SVXtasy
Through my experience the most restrictive part of the exhaust system is from the headers to the cat. When I did my exhaust system (a 3" back from the cat then two 2.5's) it sounded like crap and I feel it did not give me very much extra power. The reason I went with the 3" is because I was going to turbo the car so I thought it was necessary. But as NA a cat-back exhaust system I think did largely nothing for me and it sounded just awful. So I would not do a 3" if you were not planning on some major mods unless noise is all you want.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Maniac modifier

like I mentioned earlier, i will be using LAN's stage 2 nitrous system in the future. So the pre-cats need to be removed. I am not using 3" in any part of my exhaust system because that is way too big. I think what Chike and I have drawn up, independently, is the ideal setup for the SVX if one were to use a dual muffler setup.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:11 PM

Here's a few more pics...

...I took earlier today of my new exhaust, near my work place:

This pic shows the ground clearance is still like 'stock' following the install:

-Chike

Old 02-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Turbo Member

Send a message via AIM to SVXtasy
Quote:
like I mentioned earlier, i will be using LAN's stage 2 nitrous system in the future. So the pre-cats need to be removed. I am not using 3" in any part of my exhaust system because that is way too big. I think what Chike and I have drawn up, independently, is the ideal setup for the SVX if one were to use a dual muffler setup.
I am sorry I was very tired and not clear when I last posted, what I was trying to say (and I know my post does not even come to saying this) was your 2X2.25” is to big in fact is has a lot more volume then a 3”. Then bringing it down to 1X2.5” then going back to 2X2.5” this is a bad design. A better design would be one where the volume of the system would stay the same or somewhat increase as you went back. Taking the total area form ((2.25/2)^2*pi*2) = 7.952 in^2 then going to ((2.5/2)^2*pi*1) = 4.909 in^2 then going to ((2.5/2)^2*pi*2) = 9.817 in^2 is not going to be the optimal design. I think your idea is a good one but you need to work on your pipe diameters. Not trying to flame you just trying to help.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:16 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Re: Here's a few more pics...

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
...I took earlier today of my new exhaust, near my work place:

This pic shows the ground clearance is still like 'stock' following the install:

-Chike
sweet, dont you just love the sound? Bet you cant wait to hit the track when it thaws out there...wait a minute....
phil
Old 02-01-2005, 08:29 PM

Re: Re: Here's a few more pics...

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
sweet, dont you just love the sound? Bet you cant wait to hit the track when it thaws out there...wait a minute....
phil

-Chike

Old 02-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtasy

I am sorry I was very tired and not clear when I last posted, what I was trying to say (and I know my post does not even come to saying this) was your 2X2.25” is to big in fact is has a lot more volume then a 3”. Then bringing it down to 1X2.5” then going back to 2X2.5” this is a bad design. A better design would be one where the volume of the system would stay the same or somewhat increase as you went back. Taking the total area form ((2.25/2)^2*pi*2) = 7.952 in^2 then going to ((2.5/2)^2*pi*1) = 4.909 in^2 then going to ((2.5/2)^2*pi*2) = 9.817 in^2 is not going to be the optimal design. I think your idea is a good one but you need to work on your pipe diameters. Not trying to flame you just trying to help.
so what would be the optimal system design. Are you saying stick with smaller pipes from headers back to cat and the run a 3" pipe to 2x2" to mufflers? and from there to the tips? thats just seems a little big if u asked me.

What are the origonal precat pipe diameters? should i leave them the same size or go bigger?