How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 10:25 AM
justiceSVX

yeah. LCD with DVI is much much much better than ANY crt, with the exception of being in some art related field where color accuracy is extremely important.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:18 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I say, Check out some of SONY's new LCD's... Or just go to any Best Buy... That LCD that I saw there was just AMAZING!!! Beautiful picture!!! Made me want to trade in my 19"er for that 17"

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 12-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Well after a day of shopping LCDs i've found that it's going to be a matter of luck when it comes to getting good one. For instance...circuit city had Liquidvideo, NEC and Sony...comparing the 17" models, side-by-side, the Liquidvideo model absolutely embarrassed the NEC and Sony...it was crisper, brighter and had absolutely no lag whatsoever. The NEC was not quite as good but not bad, but the Sony was a dissapointment. Weird...the liquidvideo was $279, the NEC was $350 and the Sony was $399. THe sony was also the only one connected through DVI. You don't always get what you pay for apparently.

I saw Dell's offerings and decided that for the price, they were the way to go for me. They looked better than the sony (strange, because they ARE sony), and were still cheaper.

I ordered an E193fp (19") off of ebay for $275. This model sells at Dell for $499 and the sony version is $549, so I think it's a middle-of-the-line model.

Thanks for the input. If this thing sucks, i'll sell it to some other poor sap on ebay and get what was my second choice, a Viewsonic P220fb CRT.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:06 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I'm still a CRT person due to price. I run 1600x1200 @ 85hz in almost everything I use. 85hz is a must for me for CRT's...anything less and I see the flicker.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:23 PM

I'm surprised you don't see flicker at that setting. For me, at 1280X1024, 85hz is great...but when you get up to 1600x1200...it drives me insane.

I am concerned about the limited resolutions that flat panels offer. This is why i got a big one. Hopefully i can find a resolution that doesn't make everything microscopic, yet doesn't make text look like bad handwriting.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
I'm surprised you don't see flicker at that setting. For me, at 1280X1024, 85hz is great...but when you get up to 1600x1200...it drives me insane.
Are you sure the monitor was in fact at 85hz @ 1600x1200? The amount of flicker should be independant of the resolution.

As long as you're at 85hz the flicker should be the same if you're running 640x480 or 2048x1536.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:16 AM

I had to bring this thread back in case anybody else faces the same question I did.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I ordered the Dell E193fp (19") monitor. Just got it today and i'm writing this on it now. I must say i'm very very impressed with the new generation panel. Really it's only weaknesses are text (outside of it's native resolution) and motion. Under real high speed image motion, you can see some shadowing (but that's being REAL picky). But other than that, it's crisp, bright, colorful and has a very good viewing angle. No sync problems thus far. I'm very very happy with it.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:12 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Hey, Shadow, how is it when playing games outside the monitor's native resolution? That is something that is keeping me from getting an LCD monitor to replace the CRT I currently use.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:20 AM
justiceSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Hey, Shadow, how is it when playing games outside the monitor's native resolution? That is something that is keeping me from getting an LCD monitor to replace the CRT I currently use.

Johnny
Mine seems to work fine. I think that was more of a growing pain of LCDs....
Old 01-07-2005, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny

Johnny
I'll have to get back to you on that one. Give me a day or so and i'll have some opinions.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:23 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Shadow... does it have a DVI input too??

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-08-2005, 01:44 AM
SVX Appeal

Few people seem to have noticed that high-end CRTs have virtually disappeared from the market. Has anyone tried to spend at least $500 on a 17" CRT? Sure, the prices have come down, but also nobody offers the really good ones anymore.

I think LCDs are catching up for two reasons. First, they are getting better. Second, quality CRTs are rapidly disappearing. I've sat behind SGI displays (CRT) that were so dazzling that I'm not sure I've seen any real object that was as perfect as the display. The good ones are fantastic - if you can find one. I venture to suggest that most of you have never even seen a super high-end Princeton Graphics or Flexscan CRT. Having seen such things, I'm not sure how you could want anything more. (Less maybe. $2,000 for a CRT is kinda hefty.)

I believe another reason LCDs are becoming so popular is because they're easy to sell, so the margins are bigger. Resellers push products like that, and they lie to do it. I've never seen any LCD outperform a high-end CRT, but salesman preach it as verifiable truth. Perhaps LCDs have come that far, but from what I've seen, even the so-so CRTs still compete very well with the top-end LCDs.

Unless there's a major price shift, my next display will be a very nice CRT and it'll probably cost quite a bit - more than a cheap LCD anyway.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:56 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
Few people seem to have noticed that high-end CRTs have virtually disappeared from the market. Has anyone tried to spend at least $500 on a 17" CRT? Sure, the prices have come down, but also nobody offers the really good ones anymore.

I think LCDs are catching up for two reasons. First, they are getting better. Second, quality CRTs are rapidly disappearing. I've sat behind SGI displays (CRT) that were so dazzling that I'm not sure I've seen any real object that was as perfect as the display. The good ones are fantastic - if you can find one. I venture to suggest that most of you have never even seen a super high-end Princeton Graphics or Flexscan CRT. Having seen such things, I'm not sure how you could want anything more. (Less maybe. $2,000 for a CRT is kinda hefty.)

I believe another reason LCDs are becoming so popular is because they're easy to sell, so the margins are bigger. Resellers push products like that, and they lie to do it. I've never seen any LCD outperform a high-end CRT, but salesman preach it as verifiable truth. Perhaps LCDs have come that far, but from what I've seen, even the so-so CRTs still compete very well with the top-end LCDs.

Unless there's a major price shift, my next display will be a very nice CRT and it'll probably cost quite a bit - more than a cheap LCD anyway.
For that expert-end display quality with a somewhat sane price... I prefer the Iiyamas. Only CRT I'd own for the past 8 years or so...

Nothing under $1k even comes close.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo

I've used several SGI workstations at school and at my brother's lab. I know exactly what you mean about their quality. If you compare my new LCD to one of those, the results wouldn't be pretty. But I really put alot of thought into my purchase, and realized that I don't really have to be that fussy. I play maybe one round of a game per week on my computer, and my use of Alias and Cobalt is limited to more of a hobby than anything. So I really have no need for an insanely accurate CRT. More importantly, I have no room for one.

That being said, I am quite fussy about my toys...and this display has not dissapointed me.

BTW, my new LCD is analog only as far as I know. That's why I made sure to note that I have had no synching problems.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:33 AM
justiceSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Knightwulf

For that expert-end display quality with a somewhat sane price... I prefer the Iiyamas. Only CRT I'd own for the past 8 years or so...

Nothing under $1k even comes close.
I have a 17" widescreen DVI LCD, and it's fantastic. Much better to look at than any CRT I've seen, including the big bad expensive mama-jamas at design firms, etc...

sure, the color might not be as accurate, but as far as 'easy on the eyes' goes, it's fantastic.