How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-17-2004, 06:29 PM
One teal and One yellow

Question 2002+ up

"All manufactures from 2002 made vehicles with small secret. Quality for 7 years max. After 7 years the car must competly diy!!!"

I'm exactly quoting the above statements from a MB forum. What do you guys think in your opinions? Is this true? Never heard about this?! Is this for German cars, japanese cars...or both or...??

P.S. Yeah, my 500th post...owned my SVX for 3 yrs 3 mths as of tonite. Still love driving her as much......can't wait for the big snow coming.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 11-17-2004, 06:36 PM
Superbeast

I think Dodge misunderstood it to mean 7 months.

92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 11-17-2004, 07:58 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I wouldn't doubt that statement at all... It is probably one big conspiracy... And Dodge and CHevy are at the root of it all!!! My little Rabbit is 23 years old and still gets 48mpgon the Highway Diesel is the way to go baby ... Just wish that Subaru made a "Flat Diesel"

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 11-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: 2002+ up

Quote:
Originally posted by SSSVX
"All manufactures from 2002 made vehicles with small secret. Quality for 7 years max. After 7 years the car must competly diy!!!"
Honestly,

The problem I have with that statement is that it can't be proven or disproven. 7 years hasn't passed since '02+ models were introduced.

Also, quality controls from the plethora of different car manufacturers are completely different from each other. Consider this, more manufacturers are offering longer warranties now than back in '02. Back then it was just Hyundai and Kia offering 10yrs - now Mitsubishi and Suzuki offer that as well. Dodge has also upped their warranty to 7 years...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 11-17-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
This is even a question? Did I miss something here? The person who originally wrote it can't even use proper grammar.

However, seeing as it is from an MB forum, and knowing the abysmal quality of MB's these days, maybe he's just talking about MB.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: 2002+ up

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

Honestly,

The problem I have with that statement is that it can't be proven or disproven. 7 years hasn't passed since '02+ models were introduced.

Also, quality controls from the plethora of different car manufacturers are completely different from each other. Consider this, more manufacturers are offering longer warranties now than back in '02. Back then it was just Hyundai and Kia offering 10yrs - now Mitsubishi and Suzuki offer that as well. Dodge has also upped their warranty to 7 years...

-Chike
Improved warranties - whether they're from Hyundai or Dodge - don't indicate an improvement in quality or reliability. They suggest it, but that's it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-17-2004, 08:43 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: Re: Re: 2002+ up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Improved warranties - whether they're from Hyundai or Dodge - don't indicate an improvement in quality or reliability. They suggest it, but that's it.
True. But manufacturers will be out more money in the long run if the powertrain & drivetrain on their cars fail during the warranty period...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Warranties are simply a statiscally-based gamble. Car companies determine the average cost of repairs for a line, over say a 10-year period, then determine the cost of the warranty based on that average, and factor it into the price. So basically they're betting that their own build quality won't get worse. Pretty safe bet these days.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:33 PM
One teal and One yellow

I wasn't sure where did he get from or if he's just talking about the MB products. But, for certain Models, the MB's quality has been dropped quite alot.

Have to think twice about it if I am to get a 02+ MB product...

Old 11-19-2004, 07:32 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
This could possibly be what they meant:

Manufacturers by law only need to keep parts on the shelf 7 years (or is it 10?) after the end of production for a model. After that, it is only what was left on the shelf. For the case of the SVX: end of production in 1997 + 7/10 years = 2004/2007. This doesn't mean that they won't make anymore parts, but they certainly don't have to (which means they probably won't).

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 11-19-2004, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
Warranties are simply a statiscally-based gamble. Car companies determine the average cost of repairs for a line, over say a 10-year period, then determine the cost of the warranty based on that average, and factor it into the price. So basically they're betting that their own build quality won't get worse. Pretty safe bet these days.
Yes, and the same principle applies to "life of the car..." replacement brake pad, mufflers, and the like. They know -- statistically speaking -- most folks will likely sell the car before that new muffler rots off.

Regarding the "law" requiring automakers to stock parts for a model for a given number of years: I've read that before, but find it hard to believe that any such law exists. Can anyone cite the statute?

As to the "quality for seven years..." bit: Planned obsolescence predates tail fins. Automakers have to make their products just robust enough to keep customers motoring happily along for five, six or seven years, while changing styles and features frequently to hopefully bring 'em back into the showrooms every two or three.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 11-19-2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:19 AM
red95svx

My two cents:

Longer warranties help insure busy technicians at dealerships. After all, with a ten year 100,000 mile warranty where is the first place you'll head to every time you hear a weird noise or your check engine light goes on? Granted, techs don't make as much on warranty repairs, but business is business and this is one way to take business away from local garages.

As for the availability of parts after production, I am 99% sure that is is ten years. After that manufacturers may continue to supply them, but don't count on it for the SVX.

P.S. The Justy has now been out of production for ten years and we have already seen a big drop in availability of Justy parts.

Dave
Old 11-19-2004, 09:26 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

As to the "quality for seven years..." bit: Planned obsolescence predates tail fins.

This is exactly what John DeLorean wanted to avoid with his car. He felt automakers built "planned obsolenscence" into their vehicles which forced people to upgrade every few years. With a stainless steel rust proof exterior and a host of standard options, DeLoreans were supposed to keep their owners happy for years. It's too bad that poor build quality and drugs got in the way.

Dave
Old 11-21-2004, 12:02 AM
One teal and One yellow

Smile

thanks for the analysis and knowledge.

ohhh...another 3 yrs will be harder to get new parts for SVX?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: