Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
5mt quirks

I have just reassembled my 5mt and have some more questions.
1. Is the idle supposed to be at 1k-1.3k when cold?
2. Is it normal for the mts to allow the engine to hunt?
3. Speed sensor CEL is on and my speedo doesn't work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
1-Hmmm...Can't say i'm a good judge of that since im in florida but it just started getting into the 50's tonight and when i started her up it idled right around 750-1000....

2-By hunt do you mean vary in idle? Cause I've noticed mine will sit at idle and make audible noises but the variations are so slight they barely even register on the tach.... Or are you talking about while driving down the road and you are taking off and its obviously not full power then the power comes on after a certain rpm? ( my problem)

3-Is the speed sensor from the tranny hooked up? Its the plug on the passenger side I believe 3 wires. (obvious yes but just wanted to make sure)
Old 11-17-2004, 09:29 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: 5mt quirks

Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
I have just reassembled my 5mt and have some more questions.
1. Is the idle supposed to be at 1k-1.3k when cold?
2. Is it normal for the mts to allow the engine to hunt?
3. Speed sensor CEL is on and my speedo doesn't work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
1 - That's where mine sits when the engine is cold.
2 - Don't know what you mean by "hunt".
3 - Sounds like the speed meter is not hooked up to the wiring harness.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:16 AM
Maniac modifier

Re: Re: 5mt quirks

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

1 - That's where mine sits when the engine is cold.
2 - Don't know what you mean by "hunt".
3 - Sounds like the speed meter is not hooked up to the wiring harness.
1. ok so the low cold idle is normal?

2. by hunt i mean the car slightly adjusts the idle while sitting after it's warm. its very small but it is noticable on the tach

3. everything is hooked up but half way home from kentucky it just dropped out. Every once and a while it will seem to connect and the speedo will jump up to speed but shortly after drop out again. do u think i need a new sensor? well thnx for the comments.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:56 PM

have you double checked the connection just to be sure? I know mine was damaged in the transport and we had to fix the piece on the tranny. Sorry can't be of more help
Old 11-17-2004, 01:28 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

mine used to stall out everynow and then when I pushed in the clutch and was downshifting...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 11-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Maniac modifier

i should probobly redo some of the wiring in the car because mostly all of her connections were quicky jobs. they were stripped and twisted together then tapped off. i prefer srinkwrapped terminals to be honest so i may redo all of them. i will see if this helps at all. thnx for the help
Old 11-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Mine will sometimes idle above 2000rpm when cold. Where does yours idle when it's warm?

Mine would also sometimes stall if I push in the clutch when coming to a stop.

It sounds like the connection plug to the speed sensor may not be giving a good connection. Either that or the sensor itself.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Maniac modifier

1. My car cold idles at a little over 1k.
the warm idle is below 750 at normal auto level but it
slightly changes while idling warm

2. it has only stalled on me once comming to a stop (haven't
driven it much)

3. I think its the sensor too but will repair all connections of wire
just to be absolutely sure.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:11 PM
sans SVX

The low cold idle is a result of how people are addressing the electronics portion of the 5MT conversion. Nearly everyone is leaving the "N" and "P" inputs on the ECU ungrounded which means that the ECU thinks the car is in drive (or reverse). As a result, the ECU will not drop into the high cold idle routine. To fix it, its necessary to ground the "N" or "P" input on the ECU. My first attempt here was to permanently ground the "N" input on the ECU. This seems to be working ok, but I'm wondering if having the ECU in "N" mode has any affect on the rev limiter. When I get some time (probably in a month), I'm going to wire the "N" input on the ECU to the clutch switch and the NSS on the tranny so that the ECU will only be in "N" when either the clutch is completely depressed or the tranny is in neutral.

When you are talking about a variable idle, what range of rpm are you seeing?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:44 PM
Maniac modifier

if you could send me a more detailed version of how to wire this i will try it. the car already has a clutch safety switch which does not allow the car to start unless it is depressed. So, if i can wire this thing to work like it had a auto but retain the 5speed i will be loving life. the variation at wamr idle is very slight like 100rpms maybe. well thanks again
Old 11-22-2004, 01:50 AM
sans SVX

Can't really say how to wire it into the clutch pedal and NSS on the tranny as I haven't tried it yet. I plan to try that method in about a month. In the mean time, if you want to just ground the neutral signal wire on the ECU, in my locker, there is a pin-out diagram on the ECU. Find the neutral signal pin on the ECU then get a wire tap and a piece of wire. Tap into the neutral signal wire with the wire tap and run the wire to ground somewhere on the car.

Visit my locker

Old 11-22-2004, 08:53 AM

Heres one for ya....

I've been having lots of problems recently with the poor power delivery up to 4000rpms and also have been having the fuse for the turn signals keep blowing. When the fuse blows for the turn signals the car has a severe loss in power below 4000 when the fuse is in the power loss is not there???Its a night and day difference b/w the two. Also my reverse lights are on all the time now, which doesn't make sense since they've never ever been hooked up? I need to go through the car and totally rewire everything I think b/c there some electrical gremlins in there somewhere...
Old 11-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Yikes, don't get any water on those gremlins!
Old 11-23-2004, 09:32 AM

also when the fuse blows the lights for gear selection all get lit up on the dash.???just wondering if this sounds normal or not...