Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 06:25 PM
jerm781

oil on top of motor

I get a little pool of oil on top of the motor. It leaks down the back of the motor and on to the exhaust pipes. I can't figure out were the oil is coming from. It looks like its coming from the bottom of the intake manifold but I don't think oil is supposed to be in there. Any suggestions. I was going to ignore it because it never reaches the ground but the smoking is embarrassing.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It's possible it's leaking from around the IRIS valve which is attached to the bottom of the intake manifold.

The oil is likely coming through the PCV valve which is located right behind the IRIS valve.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:14 PM
jerm781

I replaced the PCV valve,maybe I need to replace it again. It was leaking before and after I replaced it.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:21 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Maybe the infamous O-Ring Power Steering leak......50 cent fix, if thats what it is....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 11-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
what color is the smoke thats coming out? is it kinda white-bluish like oil is, or just grey like ATF fluid is?

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 11-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
what color is the smoke thats coming out? is it kinda white-bluish like oil is, or just grey like ATF fluid is?
I had to re-read your post...my brain kept thinking that our oils are not that color...ATF is red.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:03 PM
RobSVX

If its Red...

It's probably P/S fluid. I thought my 'O-ring' was bad in the pump, so I replaced it and cleaned up...still happened.

Found out its the High Pressure P/S hose. The connector where it goes metal to rubber. Had to order one and the 3 lower hoses (to be sure).
Old 11-16-2004, 03:19 PM
The Molinator

HIGH PRESSURE PS HOSE!?

I just had my HP Power Steering hose leak and be replaced ....after I thot it ("oil" on top of engine) was oil from leaking valve cover on that (rt) side!

Check your P/S fluid level!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!