Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
I think all of religion will end when we discover life on another planet in the year 2147
oh n0s!!1!!1111! what if they want to eat our brains????

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-10-2004, 10:36 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

oh n0s!!1!!1111! what if they want to eat our brains????
It doesn't matter because by then I will have become nothingness

Actually: We will develop counter alien forces to kill them all before they can eat our brains. There will be a giant war, resulting in total contamination of the Earth's atmosphere, forcing us to live on Mars. We will then rename Mars to Earth 2 and start a new civilization. All the women will have perfect bodies, and only one man will be allowed to reproduce with them to prevent overpopulation. That one man will be my reincarnation. He will drive an SVX as well.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-10-2004, 10:37 AM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
Quote:
i'll solve this for you - I am your god.

here's a puzzle: read the Bible and try to explain the dinosaurs.
lol. I have an Uncle who doesn't believe dinosaurs existed...

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker
Old 11-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast

It doesn't matter because by then I will have become nothingness

Actually: We will develop counter alien forces to kill them all before they can eat our brains. There will be a giant war, resulting in total contamination of the Earth's atmosphere, forcing us to live on Mars. We will then rename Mars to Earth 2 and start a new civilization. All the women will have perfect bodies, and only one man will be allowed to reproduce with them to prevent overpopulation. That one man will be my reincarnation. He will drive an SVX as well.
maybe we'll get lucky and the aliens will be tall Amazon wimmenz that have 4 breasteses and need to repopulate their civilization by having sex with Earth dudes.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-10-2004, 11:07 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by BordeauxComet
lol. I have an Uncle who doesn't believe dinosaurs existed...
There are still dinosaurs alive, here and now.

And some of us drive svxi.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-10-2004, 11:38 AM
BoondockSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
Boondock's posts always include quotes from ultra-smart-science-based humans. If I were to post quotes from holy men (the ultra-smart-religion based humans), i'd get laughed at.
Know why? Holy men might be intelligent, but what they deem true is affected by things other than science, logic, and reasoning. They have 'faith'. The very definition of 'faith' is to believe in something when the facts aren't there to support it. This is why debating with you is pointless. I could take hte time to destroy every single arguement you give me, but ultimately it would change nothing. You have 'faith', and you believe in a religion that's hypocritical, violent, intolerant, and has set us back hundreds of years in relation to scientific discovery. You believe in it, regardless of facts, logic, or reasoning, and if something doesn't make sense, your brain will either ignore it or twist something around so the logic somehow makes sense (nevermind if it goes against something else, the bible is chock full of hypocrisy).

Quote:
I don't care what a bunch of science and political geeks had to say about religion. That tells us nothing but their opinion on it.
Yeah, those scientists and political morons don't know anything. In fact, next time one of your family members gets hurt or sick, please just take them to your local church and pray for them. Avoid the hospitals and doctor's offices.

Quote:
That whole comment goes through all kinds of trouble to try to disprove the "creator" argument. Then it belittles it's own purpose by saying essentially "I can explain this, but I can't explain that". Great job.
How so?

- Jim
Old 11-10-2004, 11:39 AM
BoondockSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark here's a puzzle: read the Bible and try to explain the dinosaurs.
Dinosaurs fossils were created the same time as the rest of the earth. They were put there just to 'tempt' people who believe in reason, logic, and science. Only the pure (ly ignorant) will be the true believers!

- Jim
Old 11-10-2004, 12:06 PM
BoondockSVX

Quote:
This is the third time you have failed to understand what I am saying when I say we cannot fully understand God. I'll try it again, yet another way. Humans are limited to fully understanding only what we know.
And what can we know? Can we know something that leaves no evidence whatsoever? You base all your 'assumptions' and 'generalizations' about 'god' from a few books written by MEN, and most of their original stories were destroyed by Constantine, who wanted to control the masses. Jesus originally spoke of things such as reincarnation, but Constantine would have none of this. So in essence, when you refer to what you 'know' about 'god', you're basing your knowledge on a few books written by men (who are deemed horribly imcompetent and basically evil at core, since anything good we do is because of god, and anything bad we do is because of mankind), with less than 50% of the original text. Even with that, the text has been translated from language to language, and on top of THAT, there were countless small changes to things made during every revision, up untilt he introduction of the printing press. So how can you say you know god?!?

Quote:
We have never met an all-powerful all-knowing being...therefore we don't really know what one would be like.
Your bible speaks otherwise. It not only says WHAT god does, but also explains WHY god does things.

Quote:
We can say what he wants for us, because he's given us plenty of references, but we can't really say what he is really like, how he looks, how long he has been around, what things were like before him, or if there even was a "before him"...etc.
How can you tell what he wants for/from us? Some parts of the bible say that we shouldn't kill, other parts have god himself ordering the slaughter of entire cities (men, women, and children). In your book, we have an excuse to do anything we want to, because there's a verse that supports almost any human action. Slavery, genocide, gangbangs, etc are all contained in the 'good book'.

Quote:
See? It is extremely difficult to make generalizations about God.
Indeed. Which is why I'm not going to believe some book written thousands of years ago by men ( who thought the earth was flat), censored by powerful dictators, and translated and revised hundreds of times.

Quote:
Again, your assuming that just because we've written about something, that means we fully understand it. Hundreds of books have been written about black holes....describing what they look like, how they work, and what is on the other side. Yet we largely have no clue what a black hole really is. just because we don't really understand it, doesn't mean we can't talk about it. We can try.
That might be YOUR opinion, but that is in conflict with your religion's stance. Christianity does not 'try' to explain god, it says that the bible is TRUTH. It isn't a hypothesis, it is written as fact, and you (as a follower) are required to believe it. It doesn't leave any room for error. Books written about black holes are books about THEORY, not 'this is the truth, nobody else is correct except me, and if they disagree with this book, don't worry they're going to burn in eternal damnation forever'. There's a huge difference. One markets itself as 'truth', and the books about blackholes are theoretical in nature.

Quote:
So here is the dilemma then. Since, in the legal definition of the word, there is no such thing as a person with no religion,
>sigh< Again you continue to ignore FACTS. FACT: In order to be religious, you need to believe in a higher power or a supernatural being. Some people DO NOT BELIEVE THIS. HENCE, they are not religious. The very fact that you refuse to admit this small point is an example of how completley locked down your opinions/beliefs are, REGARDLESS OF LOGIC. You believe in something (that everyone is religious) despite the facts. You have faith.

Quote:
how do you decide which one takes precedence? Are public buildings just supposed to not even mention christmas when it comes along? Putting out a manger scene is denying atheists their rights, whereas putting out santa claus, reindeer and a tree, is denying a christian their rights.
You have NO right to have your religion represented in anyway, shape or form at government buildings. None. But of course, you will refuse to admit this as well, because you cannot accept things that go against your current opinion. I like how you conveniently ignored all the quotes from our country's forefathers as well. It's quite apparent that they had NO desire to mingle religion into politics in anyway, shape or form.

Quote:
So what, ever knowledgeable sir, are we supposed to do? Do you really want to turn this country into a watered-down super PC land full of trial lawyers? It sounds like that would make you happy.
Nope. It's simple: Run this country as it's designed. It was designed to SEPERATE the church from the government, and this basically means that you have NO RIGHT AT ALL to have your religious icons displayed in government buildings. It's also quite apparent that you feel like your rights are being denied when your religion isn't represented all over the place, which is very VERY disturbing.

Quote:
Well you are certainly at or above the second grade level then, because you're right. Having it IS my right.
I'd like you to ask some lawyers about this. You're 100% wrong. You have no right to have your religion displayed in governmental buildings, nor does anybody else.

Quote:
Atheists claim that it is their right to have their symbols of their beliefs in public places (i.e. santa claus) but it is not within a christian's rights to have their symbols in public places. CLEARLY you should be able to see that this truly is "freedom of religion".
You're 100% wrong here too. The free thought foundation in Madison WI tries every year to get the christmas tree removed from the state capital building. They are hardcore athiests, and they don't even want Christmas trees. You're also wrong in your reasoning: Christmas trees, santa claus etc are NOT religious icons..... unless I'm not aware of some religion that actually BELIEVES santa claus is real, but heck, maybe you could prove me wrong on this one. Is there actually a group of people who think that Santa is real, and have an organized religion devoted to him?

Quote:
Wrong. I am speaking ONLY in the legal definition of religion, which does not include the believe in supernatural powers (because of the separation of church and state, the government cannot acknowledge the idea of supernatural powers, therefore a legal definition CANNOT include such concept). See how it works? Some people just don't realize the full ramifications of their actions and beliefs.
Wow. I think I'm actually losing respect for the human race the more you explain your reasoning and beliefs.

- Jim
Old 11-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
I'm sure glad I didn't continue to read this thread
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Good morning!

Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVX

Dinosaurs fossils were created the same time as the rest of the earth. They were put there just to 'tempt' people who believe in reason, logic, and science. Only the purely ignorant will be the true believers!

- Jim
Old 11-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Good morning!

Quote:

maybe we'll get lucky and the aliens will be tall Amazon wimmenz that have 4 breasteses and need to repopulate their civilization by having sex with Earth dudes.

YAY
Old 11-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I merged the religious posts from the "Before You Vote..." thread into here.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 11-10-2004, 01:08 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Christmas trees, santa claus etc are NOT religious icons

- Jim
THANK YOU! Christmas itself is not even celebrated as it should if you want to concider it a religious holiday. Jesus was born in the spring, not on December 25. We celebrate it when we do because at the time it was invented, if you were a Catholic you were killed. To avoid persecution, the Catholics chose to have the holiday on the same day as the feast to celebrate the end of the year.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
And what can we know? Can we know something that leaves no evidence whatsoever?
I don't know why the mods bothered to make a new thread out of this...at this point you are just talking in circles, making comments you've already made and i've already rebutted.

I'm not about to sit here and explain faith to you. You obviously have none of it. Besides, it wouldn't make a difference.

Quote:
You base all your 'assumptions' and 'generalizations' about 'god' from a few books written by MEN, and most of their original stories were destroyed by Constantine, who wanted to control the masses. Jesus originally spoke of things such as reincarnation, but Constantine would have none of this. So in essence, when you refer to what you 'know' about 'god', you're basing your knowledge on a few books written by men (who are deemed horribly imcompetent and basically evil at core, since anything good we do is because of god, and anything bad we do is because of mankind), with less than 50% of the original text. Even with that, the text has been translated from language to language, and on top of THAT, there were countless small changes to things made during every revision, up untilt he introduction of the printing press. So how can you say you know god?!?
The long version of what you said above. See above comment.

Quote:
How can you tell what he wants for/from us? Some parts of the bible say that we shouldn't kill, other parts have god himself ordering the slaughter of entire cities (men, women, and children). In your book, we have an excuse to do anything we want to, because there's a verse that supports almost any human action. Slavery, genocide, gangbangs, etc are all contained in the 'good book'.
Haha. It has become incresingly clear to me that you know very little about the bible. Even it's history. You haven't even mentioned what version you speak of. There are hundreds of different translations of the bible. Yes there are many innacuracies, this is something that occurs with a several-thousand year old text. Again, all the more need for FAITH.

Quote:
Indeed. Which is why I'm not going to believe some book written thousands of years ago by men ( who thought the earth was flat), censored by powerful dictators, and translated and revised hundreds of times.
Good for you!

You do what you want.

Quote:
Your bible speaks otherwise. It not only says WHAT god does, but also explains WHY god does things...

...snip...

..That might be YOUR opinion, but that is in conflict with your religion's stance. Christianity does not 'try' to explain god, it says that the bible is TRUTH. It isn't a hypothesis, it is written as fact, and you (as a follower) are required to believe it. It doesn't leave any room for error. Books written about black holes are books about THEORY, not 'this is the truth, nobody else is correct except me, and if they disagree with this book, don't worry they're going to burn in eternal damnation forever'. There's a huge difference. One markets itself as 'truth', and the books about blackholes are theoretical in nature.
Ok so let's set something straight here. I have avoided using the bible, to this point, as evidence. I assumed from the beginning that you would not view it as "evidence", but only as a work of fiction. Now you are saying that it is true? Or not? Actually I can't even tell if YOU know what you're saying. If I am allowed to submit bible passages as "evidence" then this whole argument changes.

Quote:
>sigh< Again you continue to ignore FACTS. FACT: In order to be religious, you need to believe in a higher power or a supernatural being. Some people DO NOT BELIEVE THIS. HENCE, they are not religious. The very fact that you refuse to admit this small point is an example of how completley locked down your opinions/beliefs are, REGARDLESS OF LOGIC. You believe in something (that everyone is religious) despite the facts. You have faith.
>sigh< again you continue to present opinion as fact. I SAID I AM SPEAKING OF THE LEGAL DEFINTION OF RELIGION!!

LEGAL DEFINITION!!

Did you get that? The legal definition does not include parts about higher powers. NOTHING. So stop with this BS. It doesn't matter here.

I've only said it close to 10 times now, but just to make sure everyone in the audience knows what's going on - the legal definition of religion does not stipulate that the beliefs must include a higher power. It only talks about religion as a set of beliefs as pertaining to moral values and conduct. That's it. So, once again:

IN THE LEGAL DEFINITION OF RELIGION, ATHEISM IS A RELIGION.

Period. End of story. ENOUGH!!!!

Quote:
You have NO right to have your religion represented in anyway, shape or form at government buildings. None.
Correct. And you, as a non-believer have no right to have your religion represented in anyway, shape or form at government buildings. So since your religion includes NO symbols, then that means the absence of symbols is catering to YOUR religion only.

Note: I don't think this is the way it should be, but this is the way it is. The rule currently stands that public displays of religion are allowed, but only if all religions are represented.

http://www.njsbf.com/njsbf/student/r...winter02-4.cfm

Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVXNope. It's simple: Run this country as it's designed. It was designed to SEPERATE the church from the government, and this basically means that you have NO RIGHT AT ALL to have your religious icons displayed in government buildings. It's also quite apparent that you feel like your rights are being denied when your religion isn't represented all over the place, which is very VERY disturbing.[/b]
See above info.

Quote:
I'd like you to ask some lawyers about this. You're 100% wrong. You have no right to have your religion displayed in governmental buildings, nor does anybody else.
Again, see above info.

Quote:
You're 100% wrong here too. The free thought foundation in Madison WI tries every year to get the christmas tree removed from the state capital building. They are hardcore athiests, and they don't even want Christmas trees. You're also wrong in your reasoning: Christmas trees, santa claus etc are NOT religious icons..... unless I'm not aware of some religion that actually BELIEVES santa claus is real, but heck, maybe you could prove me wrong on this one. Is there actually a group of people who think that Santa is real, and have an organized religion devoted to him?
Again, i've covered this:

Quote:
Correct. And you, as a non-believer have no right to have your religion represented in anyway, shape or form at government buildings. So since your religion includes NO symbols, then that means the absence of symbols is catering to YOUR religion only.
Quote:
Wow. I think I'm actually losing respect for the human race the more you explain your reasoning and beliefs.
Thanks to people like you, the human race has no respect.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
I don't know why the mods bothered to make a new thread out of this
I got sick of reading it in two places.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: