How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 07:45 AM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
Consumer Reports 1992 Test of the SVX!

I don't know if it's been posted on here before (I've never seen it) but I actually found the September 1992 Consumer Reports magazine that pits the SVX against the Corvette, RX-7 and 300ZX. It's not exactly a positive article and it really predicts the failure of the car in the fact that it did not fit into any single category. As usual, it's also a pretty emotionless review but interesting none the less.

I have put the aritcle in my Locker as it was too big to attach. I viewed it at 158% to read it best.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...Blue/20002.pdf

Jeff
Old 08-11-2004, 08:36 AM

Interesting that they placed the SVX in this category based on Subaru's marketing it as a "sports" car. Pretty much as I remembered; not a bad review at all. But shouldn't 0-60 acceleration be more in the 7-second realm?

dcb
Old 08-11-2004, 09:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Guard-TL-
And 16.7 for the 1/4 mile........they sure went easy on it. Also they used "man" as short for manual.

-1992 Pearl White Subaru SVX
-1995 Briliant Black Mazda Precidia (sold :'( )
-1996 GMC Sonoma ZQ8 pickup
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...-TL-/20502.jpg

-Taras
Old 08-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Honestly, Consumer Reports wouldn't have the most aggressive road test staff out there. Heck, they only got a 0-60 of 6.3 and a 1/4 of 14.9 for a Stealth RT/TT!!! Other mags have gotten times over 1 sec faster for stock Stealths.

I bet they just launched the SVX in a way that was easy on the drivetrain. The trap speed of 85mph is also the lowest I've ever seen in a mag test of an SVX (Road & Track got a 15.4 @ 92.5 in their test of a '92)

-Chike

P.S. Nice article btw. I've never read it before.
Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
Pretty much as I remembered; not a bad review at all. But shouldn't 0-60 acceleration be more in the 7-second realm?

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 08-11-2004, 10:02 AM

And to parallel the "Bumped" thread, I smiled when I noticed that the Consumer Reports "bumper basher" inflicted no damage on the SVX.

dcb
Old 08-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Consumer Reports 1992 Test of the SVX!

Quote:
Originally posted by EveryShadeofBlue
It's not exactly a positive article and it really predicts the failure of the car in the fact that it did not fit into any single category.

Jeff

Yes, therein lies the plight of the SVX. Not a sports car . . . not a luxury car . . . not a family sedan. All in all, to compare the SVX with those cars was a totally unfair comparison. If they wanted to compare, they should've compared with a Lexus SC300 (the car the SVX was originally designed to compete with). One has to wonder why the SC wasn't included in the comparison. I won't even acknowledge the base insult of, "A couple of competent and far less expensive alternatives to the SVX are the Honda Prelude and Toyota Celica." <shudder>
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-11-2004, 10:40 AM

At least they said "competent" and not comparable.

dcb
Old 08-11-2004, 11:26 AM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
Marketing

Randy,

Good points. I think the reason the SVX was included here was because of Subaru. In the article it states that "Subaru is marketing the SVX as a sports car." Therein lies the fatal flaw...Subarus botched marketing. I know there's a book on this, I haven't read it. The SVX was a royal disaster for those in the Subaru marketing dept.

If Subaru wants to call it a sports car, I think CR was like "Ok, let's pit it against some sports cars!"

Jeff
Old 08-11-2004, 11:41 AM

Re: Re: Consumer Reports 1992 Test of the SVX!

full-body-shudder!

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
"A couple of competent and far less expensive alternatives to the SVX are the Honda Prelude and Toyota Celica." <shudder>

Old 08-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Consumer Reports 1992 Test of the SVX!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
full-body-shudder!

-Chike

I would have gone into an acute myocardial infarction if they'd mentioned the N**N.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
Honestly, Consumer Reports wouldn't have the most aggressive road test staff out there. Heck, they only got a 0-60 of 6.3 and a 1/4 of 14.9 for a Stealth RT/TT!!! Other mags have gotten times over 1 sec faster for stock Stealths.

I bet they just launched the SVX in a way that was easy on the drivetrain. The trap speed of 85mph is also the lowest I've ever seen in a mag test of an SVX (Road & Track got a 15.4 @ 92.5 in their test of a '92)

-Chike

P.S. Nice article btw. I've never read it before.
I think CR doesn't try to get optimum numbers. It seems to me like they run the vehicle the way any average joe would. Mags like Car & Driver and Road & track...etc...do full out drag launches to get their 0-60 and 1/4mile numbers. I noticed the Corvette in that test got the slowest times i've seen for that model and year. I've seen anything from 5.5 secs to 4.8 for my WS6. In a full-out launch, i've done 4.9 by radar. If I walk the car off the line, I average about 5.3. Problem is, cars will only take so much of that kind of abuse, which one of the reasons (probably) that CR doesn't do it that way. Good thing they didn't test the 92 ZR1.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:53 AM

Very true. They never get any earth-shattering numbers when they road test their cars and probably do it for the reason you mentioned...

-Chike

P.S. One thing of note from that article, a fully loaded 92 LS-L came in at 3610lbs on their scale!
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
I think CR doesn't try to get optimum numbers. It seems to me like they run the vehicle the way any average joe would

Old 08-11-2004, 12:43 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
P.S. One thing of note from that article, a fully loaded 92 LS-L came in at 3610lbs on their scale!
[/B][/QUOTE] They probably had 30 pounds of toasters and hair dryers in the trunk. Thats what they are qualified to test.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:13 PM

Re: Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by EveryShadeofBlue
The SVX was a royal disaster for those in the Subaru marketing dept.
I'd flip that nickel and say that the Subaru marketing department was a disaster for the SVX.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
I think CR doesn't try to get optimum numbers. It seems to me like they run the vehicle the way any average joe would. Mags like Car & Driver and Road & track...etc...do full out drag launches to get their 0-60 and 1/4mile numbers.
A very good point that seems lost on some. (See below.)

Quote:
Originally posted by svxfiles
They probably had 30 pounds of toasters and hair dryers in the trunk. Thats what they are qualified to test.
Your implication is that Consumer Reports is unqualified to test automobiles? Curious.

dcb
Old 08-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

CR

Hi everyone, What I like about CR auto reports is the fact that they go out and buy the cars from a dealer like we would have to if we were buying one, They also can tell you what they paid and what members had problems with after they got the car and drove it for a while. As for the test numbers reported buy other magazines. These are made with cars direct from the mfg. and are as perfect as testing and fixing can make them. Makes you wonder when a car craps during the test. Take care and remember you pays your money and you get your thrills. BOBB