Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-02-2001, 05:09 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Question What car is equal to an SVX today?

I really don't keep up with all the new cars and I was wondering. What would I buy today that is equal to an SVX? What has really great lines, 230 hp or more, 4 seats, fold down rear seat, 2 doors, AWD, A/T and all the other goodies in an SVX?
Well what comes close?
Old 11-02-2001, 05:27 PM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
That's tough! Nothing really... that's why I'm so apathetic towards most new cars. I'm going to the new car auto show tomorrow here in Tampa, but I already know what's out there. My top 3 would be, but they don't meet all the criteria:

1) Audi S4 Quattro (altho only 4 door I believe)
2) Saab 9-3 Viggen 2 door (no AWD unfortunately)
3) Subaru WRX (who are we kidding, it's nice, but no SVX)

Oh well...I better just keep this car forever!

Jeff
Old 11-02-2001, 08:03 PM
Green1995SVX

Audi TT awd

I think thats it

-Mike
Old 11-02-2001, 08:05 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Yeah, I'd also say an Audi A6, IF they did a coupe version, as was done in the mid '80s. But it has these funny windows that roll all the way up to the roof line. Too radical!
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:14 PM
John19688

Re: What car is equal to an SVX today?

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
I really don't keep up with all the new cars and I was wondering. What would I buy today that is equal to an SVX? What has really great lines, 230 hp or more, 4 seats, fold down rear seat, 2 doors, AWD, A/T and all the other goodies in an SVX?
Well what comes close?
I think the Audi TT comes the closest:

Great lines--inside and out
225 HP (not 230 but it goes from 0-60 in 6.3)
4 seats
rear seats fold down
2 doors
AWD
Doh! No A/T but a 5 or 6 speed manual is available.
And you can get it in a CONVERTIBLE.
Old 11-02-2001, 09:25 PM
museumquality

Re: Re: What car is equal to an SVX today?

SOooooooooo

i have to say the Vehicross, i know, yes you sit up about 2 additional feet from the ground, and are considered an suv. but the perfomance verses style, along with rarity, makes the vehi-x a prime relative to the svx.
the TT and others just have that almost typical/predictable body, the tt looks like a vw bug, the s4 isn't very exciting. but the vehicross is a freak, much like the svx. you guys have to admit, the svx is a freak in the auto design world. it was designed with fingers crossed, much like the vehi-x. and from a biz stand point it failed. BECAUSE typical people are so typical! Hondas and Fords????? Give me a break, and continue reading!

whenever we compare the svx, the number one comparison would be styling/quality, wouldn't you guys agree? performance? hate to say it, and you guys know it, it's realively easy to beat. but true lasting style is difficult to create, and the svx is one of the few. Giugiaro
put it on his list of classics of the future, and he damn well better put the vehicross there too! infact does anyone here have his direct number? i want to know!

no i don't, but i do want you guys to test drive one before they disappear, theres only 10,000 in the U.S. from 99-01. I've got mine, and its black and its awesome. i do say it matches the svx, and lives in the same breed . just squeeze into this network alittle section for the vehicross, we'll call it vx, we already have the s, it won't be hard, i can just talk to myself until you guys start buyin them. hehe

Aredubjay!! back me up on this killer machine.

and don't EVEN say rav4, not even close! I'll go off big time.

Peace, love and vehicross, and also svx
Jimi

specs:
215hp
0-60 7.7
4 seats, all leather wrap around recaro stock.
AWD
hot blonde in passenger seat, oh wait you have to buy your own.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:29 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: What car is equal to an SVX today?

Quote:
Originally posted by museumquality
SOooooooooo

i have to say the Vehicross, i know, yes you sit up about 2 additional feet from the ground, and are considered an suv. but the perfomance verses style, along with rarity, makes the vehi-x a prime relative to the svx.
the TT and others just have that almost typical/predictable body, the tt looks like a vw bug, the s4 isn't very exciting. but the vehicross is a freak, much like the svx. you guys have to admit, the svx is a freak in the auto design world. it was designed with fingers crossed, much like the vehi-x. and from a biz stand point it failed. BECAUSE typical people are so typical! Hondas and Fords????? Give me a break, and continue reading!

whenever we compare the svx, the number one comparison would be styling/quality, wouldn't you guys agree? performance? hate to say it, and you guys know it, it's realively easy to beat. but true lasting style is difficult to create, and the svx is one of the few. Giugiaro
put it on his list of classics of the future, and he damn well better put the vehicross there too! infact does anyone here have his direct number? i want to know!

no i don't, but i do want you guys to test drive one before they disappear, theres only 10,000 in the U.S. from 99-01. I've got mine, and its black and its awesome. i do say it matches the svx, and lives in the same breed . just squeeze into this network alittle section for the vehicross, we'll call it vx, we already have the s, it won't be hard, i can just talk to myself until you guys start buyin them. hehe

Aredubjay!! back me up on this killer machine.

and don't EVEN say rav4, not even close! I'll go off big time.

Peace, love and vehicross, and also svx
Jimi

specs:
215hp
0-60 7.7
4 seats, all leather wrap around recaro stock.
AWD
hot blonde in passenger seat, oh wait you have to buy your own.
I think I've already said that I like the Vehicross, but, an "equal" to the SVX it aint. Sorry. Though its Car to Truck ratio in "ride factor" is closer to car than truck, it has a bit too much pitch and roll in the twisties.

I don't think there's an "equal" to the SVX. Yes, I'm prejudiced, but, TT? Gimme a break. The styling lacks "sleek" and "slick." One of the features "commuter" forgot to add was the O.29 coefficient of drag.

MQ, you mentioned "performance" and "easy to beat" yes, if you're talking racing, but (golly how many times do I have to say this), it wasn't a car that was meant to "beat" anything, especially the passengers. "Performance" on long trips (Performance including speed+ride+comfort), there is NO comparison. I bill the SVX as the PERFECT blend of Luxury/Sport. Anything else bends too far in one direction or the other.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-02-2001, 11:34 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Re: Re: Re: What car is equal to an SVX today?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I think I've already said that I like the Vehicross, but, an "equal" to the SVX it aint. Sorry. Though its Car to Truck ratio in "ride factor" is closer to car than truck, it has a bit too much pitch and roll in the twisties.

I don't think there's an "equal" to the SVX. Yes, I'm prejudiced, but, TT? Gimme a break. The styling lacks "sleek" and "slick." One of the features "commuter" forgot to add was the O.29 coefficient of drag.

MQ, you mentioned "performance" and "easy to beat" yes, if you're talking racing, but (golly how many times do I have to say this), it wasn't a car that was meant to "beat" anything, especially the passengers. "Performance" on long trips (Performance including speed+ride+comfort), there is NO comparison. I bill the SVX as the PERFECT blend of Luxury/Sport. Anything else bends too far in one direction or the other.
You hit the nail on the head there, randy. The svx IS the perfect balance. Just the right amount of luxury. JUST the right amount of sport. Couldnt have said it better myself

-Mike
Old 11-03-2001, 05:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hmm...hard question.

Italian styling, unique looks, 4wd, performance, jaw dropping looks.....creative powerplant....

I'd go for a Bugatti EB110:
Italian styling
Unique looking
4wd
Quad turbo V12 (crazy!!)
Windows a-la SVX
Leather interior
Failed in the marketplace
Rare as anything!

and second hand values have plummeted!!!

Now, if only a can get a few hundred thousand dollars to buy one!!

Jamsvx

aka Jameb110...nahh...not the same ring about it

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 11-03-2001, 06:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
I disagee with those who said the Audi TT . I think the styling is artrocious.

It reminds me of a rounded version of all those refigerators boxes that Volvo used to sell.

Larry III
Old 11-03-2001, 06:54 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Well I started this to try and get an idea on SVX repair costs. How much is too much to spend on SVX repairs? What would a new car equal to the SVX cost? How much would monthly payments be? etc.... etc.... etc.... Are my repair cost less than the new car payments.

From what I read above, there is no car that equals an SVX that I could buy new.

The SVX is "Priceless". Repair costs aren't too much.
Old 11-03-2001, 10:22 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Well I started this to try and get an idea on SVX repair costs. How much is too much to spend on SVX repairs? What would a new car equal to the SVX cost? How much would monthly payments be? etc.... etc.... etc.... Are my repair cost less than the new car payments.

From what I read above, there is no car that equals an SVX that I could buy new.

The SVX is "Priceless". Repair costs aren't too much.
Well ---
SVX repair costs? I hate to be the one to rub it in people's faces. I was a student and I am waiting employment now (paperworks) so owning an SVX means you do have to have a little money hidden away somewhere. The repair costs on this car is high -- probably highest in the nation (at least that's what my dealer told me). Gas mileage? There are times I am curious about it but never truly concerned. With a car like SVX, you do loose a little (in financial department). So what do you do? You go out a little less and appreciate your SVX a little more.

The only cars I would want if I get a few million bucks would be another SVX ('97) and a McLaren F1. Both of them have this unique windows. And all boils down to what SVX stands for at the end of the day:

SVX -- Spares Very X-pensive (c) 2001 Ron Mummert

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-03-2001, 12:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: What car is equal to an SVX today?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I agree 100%:

Vehicross - I like it, but it's only 'comparable' in rarity and bastard styling. It's not in the same category beyond that.

Performance - Is there any point in trying to 'beat' something with an SVX? That's really not the point of owning one. The point, ladies and gentlemen, is to be comfortable in the car and confident in its abilities, no matter how fast you take it. It's not about a pissing contest.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-03-2001, 12:47 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim

Well ---
SVX repair costs? I hate to be the one to rub it in people's faces. I was a student and I am waiting employment now (paperworks) so owning an SVX means you do have to have a little money hidden away somewhere. The repair costs on this car is high -- probably highest in the nation (at least that's what my dealer told me). Gas mileage? There are times I am curious about it but never truly concerned. With a car like SVX, you do loose a little (in financial department). So what do you do? You go out a little less and appreciate your SVX a little more.

The only cars I would want if I get a few million bucks would be another SVX ('97) and a McLaren F1. Both of them have this unique windows. And all boils down to what SVX stands for at the end of the day:

SVX -- Spares Very X-pensive (c) 2001 Ron Mummert

Lwin
Well, consider this. One of my Co-workers has one of the "BIG" Mercedes (can't remember the class). I think it's a 95. He lost a waterpump last week to the tune of 250.00. Prior to that, he had a water temperature switch giving him fits. By the time they traced the problem, he'd spent over 500.00. He just had his 60K service interval done, to the tune of over 300.00. Now, when you consider what he spent for the car (if I remember correctly, he got it used and paid in the low 30's) and the cost of repairs, I think we've got a helluva bargain on our hands.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention -- his Mercedes doesn't even TOUCH the SVX by way of styling nor performance.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 11-03-2001 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2001, 03:45 PM
Zombie

hmmm.... this really isnt a "current" vehicle, but its the clostest compeditor to the SVX I have ever seen.... it has the SVX perfomance wise, alot quicker than we are, but the SVX has a little bit of stying ove it... the Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4. Rare: yes, expensive repairs: yes. Pretty: yes. they even get a little bit of "What the heck kind of car is that?" (not nearly as much as we do). the 300 gt base and SL models seem to be all over the place, but the twin turbo all wheel drive critters are rare. Same for the dodge stealth sister car.... I like the taillights of the stealth, but the front and and spoiler of the 300 GT. They have a functional downforce spoiler that raises ala porsche at 55 or so MPH.... Granted I'd rather have a porsche inspired motor than a porsche inspired spoiler any day of the week... but I think these cars are our closest kin/rival..... thats my.02