Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Shot king

Quote:
Hes a Trans Am Driver.......what did you expect? I can't wait till a 4cyl hands him his ass hardcore. But then, he won't come back to tell us about that now will he .
I don't want anyone to misunderstand me if hes got a faster car more power to him, but that hardly qualifies the car as a joke.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:08 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I don't want anyone to misunderstand me if hes got a faster car more power to him, but that hardly qualifies the car as a joke.

Yeah maybe that was a bit harsh. I didn't mean it that way, what i meant was it doesn't matter what's under the hood of that lancer, it's still a lancer. It's a law of nature...you can't change what a car is by changing what it can do. Just like people are hung up on physical appearance of other people (i.e. if a girl is ugly, she could be the greatest girl in the world and she'd still be seen as just an ugly girl), cars fall into that same stereotyping. My point is the Evo will never last cause it's just too damn expensive.

Unfortunately when you have something nice that others may not have, it tends to make them jealous. Usually i just ignore it cause it's generally a waste of my time to argue with them. Someday they too will have their dream car and understand what it's like. Plus the last thing im going to do is go around saying MY CAR IS THE BEST all the time. I give respect where respect is due. Though it doesn't happen all that often these days.

Hes a Trans Am Driver.......what did you expect? I can't wait till a 4cyl hands him his ass hardcore. But then, he won't come back to tell us about that now will he .

That, my friend, is a perfect example of why i treat most of the posters on this board like kids. Cause most of them act like kids. You bet your ass your going to hear about it if i lose to a 4cyl, cause that's got to be one hell of a 4cyl, and that man deserves credit for building and driving a 4cyl car that can take a 345hp V8.

Last edited by Shadow248; 12-09-2003 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
You bet your ass your going to hear about it if i lose to a 4cyl, cause that's got to be one hell of a 4cyl, and that man deserves credit for building and driving a 4cyl car that can take a 345hp V8.
the EVO or the STi (having essentially the same specs) would roast a 345hp V8, because the Sti has already beaten the 390hp V8 in the SVT Cobra, as tested in the current issue of Hot Rod magazine. the STi beat the Cobra in every category - handing, 0-60, 1/4 mile, and track time, as well as being cheaper in price. it was declared a tie, however, because "it just didn't have a big 'ole V8 under the hood!" there is no replacement for displacement........

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-09-2003, 05:07 PM

the EVO or the STi (having essentially the same specs) would roast a 345hp V8,

On paper.

because the Sti has already beaten the 390hp V8 in the SVT Cobra, as tested in the current issue of Hot Rod magazine. the STi beat the Cobra in every category - handing, 0-60, 1/4 mile, and track time,

You assume, then, that more horsepower means more speed. Not (always) true. The 345hp LS1 (T/A) has just as much torque as the 390hp Cobra, and a much better driveline setup. Not to mention the T/A is 400lbs lighter. Keep in mind that the 320hp Cobra came up two tenths slower to 60 than the 305hp T/A.

as well as being cheaper in price.

Own the thing for 5 years, perform the regular maintenance and fix the unexpected problems that come along, then tell me it's cheaper than a Mustang. Fords definetly have their problems, but so do subarus, and fords are 1/10th the price of subarus to fix.

there is no replacement for displacement........

It's been proven over and over and over and over again, but how can we expect people to actually believe it? I wonder if they ever will.

Last edited by Shadow248; 12-09-2003 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:12 PM
THE MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to marlettpat Send a message via Yahoo to marlettpat
all power to neons. they are quick. thats fine. but they are cheap cars if i am correct. i would much rather have a nice heavy svx that i can have fun in, maybe race a few cars, and if i would get in a wreck still be living. my perspective....
Old 12-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Unstoppable

You know just as well as I do nobody brags about their losses. If you want to call me a kid, thats just fine with me. But at least I place credit where credit is due. Once you run across your first STi/EVO/SRT-4 with a decent driver, you're gonna have a rude wakeup call. But don't worry, you're not alone. Its a very common thing seen among drivers of Camaros, Firebirds, Mustangs, Vettes, etc.

Of course, we're talking stock for stock here. Modded is a different story. The STi is up near its limits, but the V8 has a ton more potential, because as you say, there is no replacement for displacement.

Trust me, these little 4-bangers are for real.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 12-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Shot king

Lightbulb

Heres the speed specs on the EVO, STI, and the WS6 T/A. All these are from Car-Stats.com so i can't say wether or not there true but from what i've seen they usually are.
EVO 2003 :0-60 5sec., 1/4 13.6 @ 101 mph
STI 2004 :0-60 4.9sec, 1/4 13.2 @ 105 mph
WS6 2000 :0-60 5sec., 1/4 13.5 @ 107mph
btw, this is on non biased post since i don't race and don't really care whos car is faster. Just something to think about.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Hater

don't forget that your T/A will not only lose on asphalt, but on dirt and in snow, too. no, the Cobra didn't lose on paper - it lost to the STi on the strip, the skidpad and the track while being driven by Hot Rod Magazine staff. might have made better times with someone familiar with an STi and the best DCCD settings, etc. facts- who needs 'em?

the T/A does go better with a mullet, though.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:26 PM

don't forget that your T/A will not only lose on asphalt, but on dirt and in snow, too. no, the Cobra didn't lose on paper - it lost to the STi on the strip, the skidpad and the track while being driven by Hot Rod Magazine staff. might have made better times with someone familiar with an STi and the best DCCD settings, etc. facts- who needs 'em?

Wow you completely missed my entire point. My point is not that the Cobra is faster than the STI or vice versa...my point is that the T/A is faster than the Cobra, even though it has less horsepower. So for you to write off the T/A because it has less horsepower is quite an oversight. Just because the STI was faster than the Cobra on a track with professional drivers, doesn't mean it's going to be faster than my T/A on the street with Mr. Random driving it.

I always had respect for you cause you can argue without being immature...so i'm going to pretend i didn't see that little comment so as not to tarnish your good record.

Heres the speed specs on the EVO, STI, and the WS6 T/A. All these are from Car-Stats.com so i can't say wether or not there true but from what i've seen they usually are.
EVO 2003 :0-60 5sec., 1/4 13.6 @ 101 mph
STI 2004 :0-60 4.9sec, 1/4 13.2 @ 105 mph
WS6 2000 :0-60 5sec., 1/4 13.5 @ 107mph
btw, this is on non biased post since i don't race and don't really care whos car is faster. Just something to think about.

Facts don't lie. Other test results may vary based on conditions, drivers etc. But i think the above gives us a good idea of what to expect. Based on what i found - the Cobra runs from 4.9-5.1 sec 0-60, and the (345hp) T/A a 4.8-5.1 sec 0-60. So again, the Cobra is NOT faster even though it does have more power.

You know just as well as I do nobody brags about their losses. If you want to call me a kid, thats just fine with me. But at least I place credit where credit is due. Once you run across your first STi/EVO/SRT-4 with a decent driver, you're gonna have a rude wakeup call. But don't worry, you're not alone. Its a very common thing seen among drivers of Camaros, Firebirds, Mustangs, Vettes, etc.

I only called you a kid cause you spoke like one. Speak like an adult, and i will treat you as such. True no one brags about their losses, but a true sportsman must recognize his failures as well as celebrate his victories. As for a rude wakeup call, it'll take alot more than any of those cars you mentioned to do that. As we saw in the stats above, IF they win the contest they will win by a VERY small margin.

Of course, we're talking stock for stock here. Modded is a different story. The STi is up near its limits, but the V8 has a ton more potential, because as you say, there is no replacement for displacement.

Now your making sense. Im glad i wasn't the one to say it. Maybe they'll listen to you. The Camaro ZL-1 has 825hp and runs 0-60 in less than 3 seconds, with a price tag of about $100,000, completely street legal. I challenge ANYONE to make ANY 4cyl engine do that for ANY amount of money.

I don't mean to say the STI is slow, or that it's a crappy car or anything. I think it's pretty neat. I just don't see the point. It's not my kind of car, and I don't care how fast it really is, it's still not worthy of playing with cars like the Camaro, T/A, and even the Cobra that i detest so much. I wouldn't dare say my T/A was as nice as a Ferrari if i managed to beat one in a race. Same concept.

Last edited by Shadow248; 12-13-2003 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Unstoppable

If you really must know, the Ecotec 4 cyl has been dyno'd up to 900+HP. Of course thats race only levels, but it has been done.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 12-10-2003, 02:32 AM
Hater

Quote:
[B

I always had respect for you cause you can argue without being immature...so i'm going to pretend i didn't see that little comment so as not to tarnish your good record.[/B]
= joking, although you cannot deny the Camaro/Trans Am to Mullet connection. i know the facts - i live in Southwestern Pennsylvania, home of the "Pittsburgh Waterfall." if you think that Pony cars and mullets are not entangled in the fabric of society, then you, sir, are quite mistaken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nascarl.jpg (30.7 KB, 107 views)

Old 12-10-2003, 03:08 AM
Hater

Quote:
I just don't see the point. It's not my kind of car, and I don't care how fast it really is, it's still not worthy of playing with cars like the Camaro, T/A, and even the Cobra that i detest so much.
the point is - fast is fast, no matter how many cylinders you have.

i guess this is just 'not worthy' of the mighty Pony cars! it only has <gasp!> 4 cylinders! not bad for a car that wasn't designed for drag racing, which is all that seems to be important.

http://63.164.33.8/1esx/esx-9-second...subaru-wrx.wmv

Quote:
Just because the STI was faster than the Cobra on a track with professional drivers, doesn't mean it's going to be faster than my T/A on the street with Mr. Random driving it.
yes, i see your point. using a professional driver on a track is no way to measure a car's performance. better to race on the street with Mr. Random, because that is the true way to see which is better in the all-important straight line race.

Old 12-10-2003, 10:35 AM

If you really must know, the Ecotec 4 cyl has been dyno'd up to 900+HP. Of course thats race only levels, but it has been done.

The Toyota Celica Dragster uses a 4cyl motor with a massive turbo and makes just about 1700hp...it runs a 1/4mile of about 8.5sec. It also has one seat, a tubular chassis and rear tires the size a mini cooper. So what's your point?

the point is - fast is fast, no matter how many cylinders you have.

yes, i see your point. using a professional driver on a track is no way to measure a car's performance. better to race on the street with Mr. Random, because that is the true way to see which is better in the all-important straight line race.

Well now we are arguing in circles, so i'm not going to waste my time. I've addressed this point twice already, but apparently you missed that.

= joking, although you cannot deny the Camaro/Trans Am to Mullet connection. i know the facts - i live in Southwestern Pennsylvania, home of the "Pittsburgh Waterfall." if you think that Pony cars and mullets are not entangled in the fabric of society, then you, sir, are quite mistaken.

Yes and you cannot deny the connection between subarus and middle aged soccer moms. They seem to be taking up where minivans left off. So what's your point? It may be joking but it's still immature. We could sit here all day and take personal stabs at each other's car preferences, that would get us nowhere. I prefer to stick to the more enriching part of the argument and leave out the decorations.

Last edited by Shadow248; 12-10-2003 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
check out the new hotrod magazine it has the new sti verse teh new cobra supercharged, it is a must have issue !!!!!!

also it has sean glazier "wich i have met in person " has a 8 second unibody dsm !!!! amaziningly still has the faactory carpet windows and dash,, even the hard core v8 guys have hard times acomplishing what he has done.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:11 PM
Hater

Quote:
First Shadow248 says this:
"The Camaro ZL-1 has 825hp and runs 0-60 in less than 2 seconds, with a price tag of about $100,000, completely street legal. I challenge ANYONE to make ANY 4cyl engine do that for ANY amount of money. "

Then Shadow248 says this:
"The Toyota Celica Dragster uses a 4cyl motor with a massive turbo and makes just about 1700hp...it runs a 1/4mile of about 8.5sec. It also has one seat, a tubular chassis and rear tires the size a mini cooper. So what's your point?"
you answer your own challenge, and then ask me what *MY* point is?