SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-08-2003, 07:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
Question please please help me here, long svx issues

ok this is come to a verry important verry serous situation ! this is long

as most of u know i have had the FWD diffrential go out over a month ago 1 month and 1 week to be exact. i had huge issues for repairing it,,including the updated reduction gear and spyder gears . then i had to order shims wich subaru sent the wrongs ones wich made it another week in delays. well last friday all the parts came together and the transmission was repaired. i get a call sat morning there is some thing wrong and for me to come to the shop to have a look for my self.

got to the shop and the mechanic is telling me there is something wrong with the engine and the engine will not do a full rotation to line up the torque converter bolts. for some reason its not doing a full rotation. and the mechanic is absolutely stumped!!! he started to say the engine wasnt runing whene i brought it too him. cause the car was towed there and pushed into the shop so it never ran whene he saw it, i know for a fact it was heck i even partly drove it up to the tow truck. we took the oil pan off to see if there was any damage to the crank we couldnt see anything and all the conecting rods where moving corectly. he thinks its posibly the timing belt jumped ,, how!! i have no idea the car has sat and never moved in a month and the belt is only 20,000 miles on it, the transmssions works it spins freeely and is pulled away from the engine and the torque converter is off it also, so its bare engine and it wiill do a full turn, !!!!!

now, i have invested 1,600 for a transmission rebuild 10 months ago, now im investing 1,200 for the FWD diffrentials repairs, so almost 3,000$ in repairs for the trainy this year!!!!! now if there is something major with the engine god forbid its going to cost me a fortune. and im debating if it is worth it. the book value on the car is not that much, maybe 4,500-5,000 so far i have over half that in repairs. so

worst case scenario should i do

spend another 1,000-2,000 in engine repairs on top of the 3,000 already invested into it

strip the car sell the transsmission wich is brand new now and sell the rims and and sell just the shell of the car, wich is perfect and recover some of my losses maybe 3,500 or so

or repair the car and get ride of it runing,

the best bet is i hope it jumped timing, wich is imposible for a car that has moved in 1 month and can be fixed verry eaily the car ran perfectly whene i gave it to him , i put it in nutreule and reved no noises no nothing, no isssues at all. could he have did something to it at the shop ??? i have no idea, i trust this mechanic greatly, he has worked on all my cars and is verry honest and knows his subarus.

what could cause a engine not to do a full turn im desperate for anwsers and sugestions here, every one is stumped on this,
could it be a stuck or bent valve??
bad crank????
jumped timing????
bad piston???

im just preying its not major motor issues, and it has to be opened up,, im verry verry disgusted with this to no holds end !!!!

any help is apreciated, james s
Old 09-08-2003, 09:33 AM
Superbeast

Most likely for any car sitting for a month. Hydro locked. Either water, ( was it sitting out side with the hood off and the intake tube off? I hope not!) Fuel, (A possible leaking injector) or antifreeze, (from a blown head gasket, but the car probly wouldn't have been running so well.)

I would have your tech pull out all the spark plugs and try to spin it over then see if something comes out of one of the cylinders.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 09-08-2003, 09:38 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Most likely for any car sitting for a month. Hydro locked. Either water, ( was it sitting out side with the hood off and the intake tube off? I hope not!) Fuel, (A possible leaking injector) or antifreeze, (from a blown head gasket, but the car probly wouldn't have been running so well
the svx has been in a garage so no water or any condensation the engine has never been opened he only did transmsion work,

the car ran perfect whene i gave it to him no noises no hesitation, no leaking no nothing, just a bad FWD difrentials

we could do a compresion check thats going to be hard to do cause there hard to acces, for 1 and also u cant do a compression check if u cant turn the motor right, >? it will only turn abought 340 degrees each way , like it wont hit top dead ceneter or something. verry verry starnge

im incredible stressed and fusterated with this,
Old 09-08-2003, 09:49 AM
Superbeast

I'm don't really know what it is but if you had a perfectly running engine and all it did was sat and now it won't turn over, it seems like something foreign is in there stopping it from rotating. Just pull out the plugs and see what happens, what harm could it do?

Old 09-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Superbeast

I just had another thought. You said the tranny is pulled away from the engine? so you can see the flex plate? Make sure there arn't any dropped bolts or anything wedging between the flex plate and the motor. Just another posibility but seems you trust your tech and he has worked on all your previous cars I would hope this would be a obvious find.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:16 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I just had another thought. You said the tranny is pulled away from the engine? so you can see the flex plate? Make sure there arn't any dropped bolts or anything wedging between the flex plate and the motor. Just another posibility but seems you trust your tech and he has worked on all your previous cars I would hope this would be a obvious find.
there is nothing there, the flex plate was pulled away from the engingine this is the same guy who did the tranny rebuild 10 months ago so i had him do the diffrentials since he has done it once already and knows what hes doing.

yea, im going to have him pull the plugs on monday.. i just dont know why its doing it,, it has to be something simple or something hes missing i have no clue

thanks for your help and opinions subafreak
Old 09-08-2003, 07:07 PM

Registered SVX
At the risk of appearing stupid, but as you are asking for every possible clue.

Is the starter motor and or pinion jammed ?

It appears very strange indeed that a so called " Technician " ( mechanic down under ) can not find why a crankshaft will not move ! He would not be getting Kiwi money !

It has been apparent to me for some time that your problems up there are not due to Subaru negligence but very much due to these so called technicians.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-09-2003, 02:24 AM

Got to be something simple........

Just thinking "off the wall", how about a cam/lifter problem ?? Has a lifter shim slipped out and fouled the cam ?? I'm not familiar with the arrangement of these engines so maybe it doesn't have shims at all....... just a thought.

Unless there is a major BIG huge problem with the valve train it can't be an open valve as I thought this engine is non-interferance ?? A skipped tooth may put the timing out but by my understanding of non-interferance even with a valve stuck at full lift there shouldn't be piston-to-valve contact.

Is there a locating dowel for the flex-plate ?? Could that have been moved causing a foul on the starter pinon or engine backplate?? How about removing the accessory drive belts to eliminate an A/C compressor, alto or water pump issue ??

If you still can't turn through 360 deg with the plugs out, do you know anyone in the Gas Turbine/industrial boiler/furnace/oil and gas industry ?? Or a well equiped speed shop/race prep. engineering company close by ?? I'd pull the spark plugs out and have a look inside with a boroscope.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:09 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Is there a locating dowel for the flex-plate ?? Could that have been moved causing a foul on the starter pinon or engine backplate
the starter ataches to the transmssion and the starter cranks off the flex plate/torque converter.. there was never a starter put in even with the flex plate/torque converter u still cant turn the engine.

whene he gets back from his vacation, wich is puting my vacation on hold for his convience. im going to have him pull the timing belt covers off and check timing, and then im going to have pull the spark plugs out and check that area and runa compression check .

this is verry strange just dont what it could be might be something verry simple
Old 09-23-2003, 07:48 AM

Registered SVX
update !

all 4 of the cams turned , we have no choice but to pull the engine out of the car. so far over 2 months and no car,
Old 09-23-2003, 09:29 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Do not give up hope. I sank in over 10k on my first SVX. Why? Who knows? In a year that I own that moneypit, it spent a good 4 months in the shop. Rebuilt the tranny 3 times.

Just fix what is needed and keep her forever.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Sounds like the torque converter isn't seated properly to me, I seriously doubt the motor has mysterious siezed while sitting around....just my 2 cents
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-23-2003, 04:30 PM

Registered SVX
Two cents worth

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369
Sounds like the torque converter isn't seated properly to me, I seriously doubt the motor has mysterious siezed while sitting around....just my 2 cents
Huck, I will put my money with you.

It all adds up to a botched job by a butcher mechanic with no skill, knowledge, conscience, or honesty. Hard words but what other conclusion is there ?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-24-2003, 07:28 AM

Registered SVX
huck , he has doen the transmission before so i trhink heknows what hes doing but who knows, im shure he would have checked that twice before removing a whole engine and all the work he has done now, i hope for my sake it is his mistake.

if i dont find out bye monday of next week i might be doing some drastic measures,, maybe strip the svx,, sell the shell,, sell the rims, sell the new transmission and sound system and cut my losses ,, 2 months with out a car has put a huge strane on my career and social life, LOL
Old 09-24-2003, 08:31 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The fact that he's done it before, and is now doing it again, does not earn much confidence in my book, but I'm not there, so maybe he is competant.
But I still say, motors don't just lock up from sitting a couple months.....If they did, my 95 Impreza Project would have seived a couple years ago, but it can sit for over a year, then start right up...even on 2 year old gas.
I've started many motors that hadn't been run in many years, if it ran when it got there, it should run now.
Even if the t-belt broke, the 3.3's crank will still turn 360 degrees over and over, as the valves will NEVER hit the pistons.

It would have to be hydro locked (fluid filling a cylinder) or a spun rod or crank bearing to sieze it(not likely with it not running)......I still say its in the tranny, not the motor....
just more to think about,
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"