Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-15-2003, 09:19 AM
snakeeyes232

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

I'm 6' 4" and in the process of doing the five speed swap. I have modified the pedal setup so the pedals are at the stock SVX height. The clutch pedal is only about an inch to the left of where the automatic's brake pedal ends.

I'll let you know about drivability and leg flexability when I actually get it finished.

Doug
I promise you this, If you write back that it's still a almost comfortable ride I will do the swap as well. All luxury aside, this is a sportscar!
Old 07-15-2003, 09:42 AM
snakeeyes232

Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix96

7.9s? Flooring it from idle maybe... But a "do not try this at home" launch has gotten me to 60 in 6.5s (according to a g-tech). My car is as quick as a friend's automatic 350Z.
A buddy of mine also has a 350Z. We keep looking at each other like we should run once but it hasn't happened yet. He might be a stick so I really need that 5-speed.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:04 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Quote:
Originally posted by snakeeyes232

A buddy of mine also has a 350Z. We keep looking at each other like we should run once but it hasn't happened yet. He might be a stick so I really need that 5-speed.
Yeah, I wouldn't try against a manual 350Z... The SVX has too much power loss through the automatic transmission (not to mention the gearing).

Sometimes the SVX really feels like it has more power than it is rated at... I mean, there's something odd going on when a 230hp 3500lb car can hang with a 287hp 3300lb Nissan 350Z or a 280hp Infiniti G35..
Old 07-15-2003, 05:06 PM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally posted by snakeeyes232

I promise you this, If you write back that it's still a almost comfortable ride I will do the swap as well. All luxury aside, this is a sportscar!
The biggest differences that I have noticed in luxury, after the swap, are interior sound and smoothness of shifting. There is definately more interior noise than before, but of course I have the STi mount. And like Dayle said, the shifting is not as smooth as some other manual trannies, and certainly nothing like the luxury shifts of the AT, but its not too bad. But I knew this stuff going in, and I was not disappointed to discover it when I finished. I wouldn't mind having a second SVX with the auto, but I sure as hell wouldn't change this one back for anything.

Stephen
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 07-15-2003, 05:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I havnt had my SVX long either. But I managed to get it to the drag strip during an import night. I made 3 trips and also had it put on the Dyno. The dyno said I was getting 147HP at the wheels. On the strip my best time was 16.074 in the 1/4mile at 86.95mph. My SVX is a front wheel drive only with 20,000 miles on it. So I've got the advantage of a lighter car and a tranny that is still in good condition. For a stock 6 it's got good performance. If you want to compare numbers compare them to a stock 3000GT SL, or non-turbo 300ZX or Supra from the 90's. remember thats when your car was built. Auto technology has advanced alot in 10 years. If Subaru were to build the SVX today and used current technology the engine would probubly have over 300 horses and if they stuck with there current turbo craze(ie WRX) it would probubly fall just shy of 400. There are people on here working on projects to increase power. Even a twin turbo system.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:19 PM
snakeeyes232

Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg
If you want to compare numbers compare them to a stock 3000GT SL, or non-turbo 300ZX or Supra from the 90's. remember thats when your car was built. Auto technology has advanced alot in 10 years. If Subaru were to build the SVX today and used current technology the engine would probubly have over 300 horses and if they stuck with there current turbo craze(ie WRX) it would probubly fall just shy of 400.
Yeah, I know but still... I knew going into this that my $3150.00 was not going to do what a $10,000 or $20,000 used car would do but to almost loose against a Suburban??? That kinda hurts. Especially when this guy races me in my Suburban and loses by the same amount of space. I'm thinking to myself, "My SVX is the same speed as my Suburban?" NO WAY!

Twin Turbo? I'll be a guinea pig! I supply the parts and the blood/sweat labor. Some fellow SVX owners in Michigan help out with the install? Just a thought.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:21 PM
snakeeyes232

Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg
My SVX is a front wheel drive only with 20,000 miles on it. So I've got the advantage of a lighter car and a tranny that is still in good condition. For a stock 6 it's got good performance.
For the record, there's a guy selling a rear dif on Ebay.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:25 PM
snakeeyes232

Quote:
Originally posted by elninoalex

The biggest differences that I have noticed in luxury, after the swap, are interior sound and smoothness of shifting. There is definately more interior noise than before, but of course I have the STi mount. And like Dayle said, the shifting is not as smooth as some other manual trannies, and certainly nothing like the luxury shifts of the AT, but its not too bad. But I knew this stuff going in, and I was not disappointed to discover it when I finished. I wouldn't mind having a second SVX with the auto, but I sure as hell wouldn't change this one back for anything.

Stephen
I wouldn't expect too much. After all, it's a modified sportscar with some home made parts. Not much for factory fit and finish but maybe in the future Subaru will come out with a redesigned SVX with a manual trans that is a direct replacement for ours. Just wishing....
Old 07-15-2003, 06:32 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
my SVX runs high 14s.
maybe its just the cooler weather up here, but, i dunno.
all i know is i wasted my 15.9 XT6 and barely beat out my friends 14.7 Sentra SE-R spec V. never lost a drag except to a dodge neon SRT 4 due to the timing being off after replacing the water pump.
i have some minor mods and weight reduction going at the moment. i even took out my A?C system.
weight is key. that and a tranny cooler for those of us without 5 spds.
for the record i say i run 15 flat.
oh crud. i just remembered one of my butterfly valves doesnt open. i think maybe the line is broke. the last owner left the engine in bad condition.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:29 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Quote:
Originally posted by NikFu S.
my SVX runs high 14s.
maybe its just the cooler weather up here, but, i dunno.
all i know is i wasted my 15.9 XT6 and barely beat out my friends 14.7 Sentra SE-R spec V. never lost a drag except to a dodge neon SRT 4 due to the timing being off after replacing the water pump.
i have some minor mods and weight reduction going at the moment. i even took out my A?C system.
weight is key. that and a tranny cooler for those of us without 5 spds.
for the record i say i run 15 flat.
oh crud. i just remembered one of my butterfly valves doesnt open. i think maybe the line is broke. the last owner left the engine in bad condition.
I get similar times (none official from a track yet though- no 1/4 mile track locally). I'm on the pacific coast, at a low altitude and with cool temperatures. I've done no major modifications yet- just removed the spare tire.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:55 PM
snakeeyes232

Quote:
my SVX runs high 14s.
I just bought a G-Tech off Ebay. When it gets here I'll try the 1/4 mile time. I won't waste the money of racing it down an actual track here because (1) it 45 mins away and (2) SERIOUS race cars show up there and I'd look like a volkswagen van going up against 90% of them.

Seems like I saw some web page where a guy was selling a 5 speed kit and turbos for SVX. Maybe that was a dream I had....
Old 07-15-2003, 10:58 PM
snakeeyes232

Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix96

I'm on the pacific coast, at a low altitude and with cool temperatures.
I'm in the Midwest where rust is in the air and your mouth needs an air filter just for your body to function right much less your car. But seriously, Does any one know of an actual DECAH door customer with an SVX? I'm about ready to send my 1600 but I want to have an idea of what I'm getting into.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:38 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
i dont know anything about DEACH but i did ask Dayle about Lambo doors on the svx. the extra steel framing in this car weighs the doors down. so even though its possible to do its not a great idea. if you get some good struts to hold them up it should be ok.

yes there are 5 spd kits available. they are produced by smallcar performance, who makes and sells them, or go through motorsports warehouse (plug).

im thinking of getting the powered air turbine from Next Level for the intake. closest thing to forced induction. add some vents for cool air to the hi flow intake and a true dual exhaust and youll be running low 14s easy. at this point the power kinda maxes out due to small fuel injectors. theoretically i was around 260hp but in reality it was closer to 246.
ive come across two injector upgrades if you got the dough.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
ive come across two injector upgrades if you got the dough.
Injector upgrades?? Give up the info I'd like to look into it. Ive just started looking into upgrades, so Im still making my wish list. Injectors look like a good item to add.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
its like this. our puny 275cc injectors are dwarfed by every other component, limiting hp to about 250.
in first place we have the Nissan Motorsports 555cc injectors. they bolt in. very pricey, but if you want to reach 500hp thats what you need.
runner up are the Infinity Q-45 injectors. they run 375cc. these are cheaper and what i am going to use. dont get anything else off that car though, its an under acheiver.
youll need a dual intake system for the nissan 'jectors, essentially to bypass the air sensor and fool it into thinking only half the air is coming in. i suggest filtered ram air right from a hood scoop.
for the Infinitys a really good aftermarket air/fuel computer will work to override the oem readings.
injectors are pricey but considering my wishlist is going to surpass 10 g's anyway...

if youre reading this do me a favor and see if both your butterfly valves work. im sure they do but i just want to be assured that fixing it and letting the proper amount of air in will help me go faster. there really is more potential in the SVX than its given credit for.
BTW, snakeeyes, what side of Jefferson do you live? Heh you have 3 of my favorite things. An SVX, GSX1300, and a home in the motor city.
phew - [''']> (-_-)_y^^^