IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 06-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Re: Re: Re: Neon

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Why did I put tires on there? Ummm.. a girl who drives a car like a grandma should really need to replace tires at 22k. Same reason the brakes were on there. Reasonable wear is acceptable but under these conditions I would say that is very premature.
I'd say there is something wrong. I know over 100 neon owners and none of them, I repeat NONE of them have had those symptoms. If you go through a set of pads in 5k miles, your calipers are messed up or you bought some Taiwanese pads.

- Rob
Old 06-26-2003, 02:40 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Re: RE: so what you're saying is.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
so what your saying rob is ....... the neon sucks ass. who would want to buy a neon for a weekend driver?

also i've driven a few cars, and other than the gas mileage, i'm not that impressed with a neon. might as well buy a civic.
No, I'm saying they're really fun to drive. They have GREAT handling, and they're torquey and peppy (with a 5spd, they're faster than an SVX). But yeah, for a weekend autocrosser, a neon would be perfect. Cheap. Easy to fix. Light. Handles extremely well. Lotsa upgrades.

As for the civic comment.... ugh.. shudder.... go drive a new civic... then drive a 1st gen neon... on the same twisty road. You'll come back a believer. Civics lack torque, power, suspension, or personality. Neons have all these, but lack refinement. It's a tradeoff.

- Rob
Old 06-26-2003, 02:49 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Neon

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

I'd say there is something wrong. I know over 100 neon owners and none of them, I repeat NONE of them have had those symptoms. If you go through a set of pads in 5k miles, your calipers are messed up or you bought some Taiwanese pads.

- Rob

Exactly my point. There was something wrong. The poor girl (who actually thought the neon was cute) got screwed because she bought Dodge. So you're saying the pads that Dodge makes in Mexico are better than the Taiwanese ones?

At least it didn't kill her driving it. Any car that has a 2 star rating is definately not something you would see in my driveway.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Neon

Quote:

Exactly my point. There was something wrong. The poor girl (who actually thought the neon was cute) got screwed because she bought Dodge. So you're saying the pads that Dodge makes in Mexico are better than the Taiwanese ones?

At least it didn't kill her driving it. Any car that has a 2 star rating is definately not something you would see in my driveway.
And my point is that with the vast amount of neon knowledge I posess, and the vast amount of people I know who have neons, not ONE of them has ever had that problem. That's ridiculous. Whoever was working on her car should have found the problem, and fixed it. I had a pad drag on my SVX. Does that mean its a POS? No. I fixed it. She didn't get screwed because she bought a dodge. She got screwed because she was taking it to a bad mechanic/dealership.

- Rob
Old 06-26-2003, 02:57 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Neon

Quote:

And my point is that with the vast amount of neon knowledge I posess, and the vast amount of people I know who have neons, not ONE of them has ever had that problem. That's ridiculous. Whoever was working on her car should have found the problem, and fixed it. I had a pad drag on my SVX. Does that mean its a POS? No. I fixed it. She didn't get screwed because she bought a dodge. She got screwed because she was taking it to a bad mechanic/dealership.

- Rob

Yeah you're probably right. The 5 Stars on the front of it mean that Dodge doesn't think highly of their dealer. A mechanic is only as good as the product he works on.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:03 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: the knowledge

for a weekend car, i'd rather buy something else that i can take to the mountains. hell with it, i'd rather buy a second svx to take to the mountains .

<Harry starts trekking through the mountains to find the great ROB, who possess vast amounts of Neon knowledge to ask him a question that no one can answer.>

'Why Neon?', 'Why not RS?'
Old 06-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Re: re: the knowledge

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
<Harry starts trekking through the mountains to find the great ROB, who possess vast amounts of Neon knowledge to ask him a question that no one can answer.>

'Why Neon?', 'Why not RS?'
Easy answer:

Price: You can pick up a well used 1st gen for under 2 grand. With a blown engine, expect to score one for about 700 bucks. Then get a 2.4 liter engine for about 600, engine mounts for about 80ish, new clutch, some falken axenis for cheap, and you have a FUN car, that weighs UNDER 2400 lbs, with 150hp and 180 ftlbs of torque (it spins the wheels in 3rd gear, and it has so much torque you don't need to downshift), for under 3000 dollars. Mechanically simple, it is easy to work on and very durable, and awesome handling.

The question is, why RS? WHy spend more money for a heavier, underpowered, not as good handling, more expensive parts, more complex, worse mpg car?

- Rob
Old 06-26-2003, 04:56 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Neon

Quote:
Yeah you're probably right. The 5 Stars on the front of it mean that Dodge doesn't think highly of their dealer. A mechanic is only as good as the product he works on.
There are good dealerships and bad dealerships. >shrug< I suppose you'd think more highly of the neon if it had a transmission that cooked itself every 60,000 miles.

- Rob
Old 06-26-2003, 05:36 PM
svxeno

Re: Ahhhh a place for a NEON thread.

Quote:
Hey now you guys can't yell at me, so I'll tell you why I like these cars.
I saw this coming a mile away.

Randy ii
Old 06-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Rob...

http://www.neons.org/

have fun...

See you later
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 06-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Hater

Neon and torquey in the same sentence.

c'mon Rob, i'm guessing the Neon was your first car, and you have that thing like what happens to people with the first person they ever have sex with. enough already!

the Neon is a silly little B I T C H -CAR, that isn't even put together well. if that's all you can afford, it might be OK, but to sit here and go on and on about how this "cute-looking" piece o' crap is such a fast, great handling car just kills me - its all relative. the Neon is a good car compared to what? a Festiva? a Geo Metro? yay!
i could start a thread about 928's, and go on and on about them with my 'vast amount of knowledge', but i won't because no one on the *S*V*X* NETWORK CARES! <hint, hint>

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 06-26-2003 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:12 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
Neon and torquey in the same sentence.

c'mon Rob, i'm guessing the Neon was your first car, and you have that thing like what happens to people with the first person they ever have sex with. enough already!
My first car was a 1968 Dodge Charger, 383 4spd. SO yeah, I know what torque is.

Quote:
the Neon is a silly little B I T C H -CAR, that isn't even put together well.
True, the interior sucks, but guess what? That silly little '*****' car as you put it is FASTER than your beloved wrong-transmissioned SVX in the 1/4 mile, and 0-60. EASY. Don't get me wrong, the SVX is a good car, but it has damn near an IDENTICAL power/weight ratio as a neon, but it has a ****TY transmission.

Quote:
if that's all you can afford, it might be OK, but to sit here and go on and on about how this "cute-looking" piece o' crap is such a fast, great handling car just kills me - its all relative. the Neon is a good car compared to what? a Festiva? a Geo Metro? yay!
i could start a thread about 928's, and go on and on about them with my 'vast amount of knowledge', but i won't because no one on the *S*V*X* NETWORK CARES! <hint, hint>
Okay, you're starting to piss me off. Why? Because you're ignorant. Yes. I like you sometimes, but right you're just being plain old IGNORANT. Seriously. Sure, call it cute looking. Sure, call it a POS. Whatever. But guess what? ITS FASTER THAN YOUR SVX. PERIOD. Not on the top end, but definitely in 0-60, 1/4 mile, and handling. And yes. It is relative.

The neon HANDLES AMAZINGLY. Check this out if you don't believe me:

http://www.cnyroadrace.com/scca/results/98solo8.html

Go look you ignorant fool. Go ahead. Click on it and be enlightened. I'm being harsh because you need to see the truth.

A lowly 'neon' spanked the piss out of some cars you would consider 'superior, namely, BMWs, Twin Turbo MR2s, 300ZXs, etc. Go ahead. Look. This was a ROAD RACE. And a NEON WON. You lose.

- Rob

Last edited by Chicane; 06-26-2003 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:13 PM
Hater

Quote:

Okay, you're starting to piss me off. Why? Because you're ignorant. Yes. I like you sometimes, but right you're just being plain old IGNORANT. Seriously. Sure, call it cute looking. Sure, call it a POS. Whatever. But guess what? ITS FASTER THAN YOUR SVX. PERIOD. Not on the top end, but definitely in 0-60, 1/4 mile, and handling. And yes. It is relative.

The neon HANDLES AMAZINGLY. Check this out if you don't believe me:

http://www.cnyroadrace.com/scca/results/98solo8.html

Go look you ignorant fool. Go ahead. Click on it and be enlightened. I'm being harsh because you need to see the truth.

A lowly 'neon' spanked the piss out of some cars you would consider 'superior, namely, BMWs, Twin Turbo MR2s, 300ZXs, etc. Go ahead. Look. This was a ROAD RACE. And a NEON WON. You lose.

- Rob
this would all be valid, but i didn't buy the SVX so i could play boy-racer. there are lots of cars (probably even minivans) that are faster than an SVX. 0-60, 1/4 mile - not even what the SVX was designed for, so that isn't even anywhere near relevant to anything. is that your only argument? you forget about style, quality, engineering, and luxury (not to mention AWD). can you honestly tell me that given the choice of a Neon or a BMW you would choose a neon? the truth is, the Neon is a bottom-feeder - a base model junky little econo-chick car for folks with a small budget. that's all. you get what you pay for.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-26-2003, 08:24 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:

this would all be valid, but i didn't buy the SVX so i could play boy-racer. there are lots of cars (probably even minivans) that are faster than an SVX. 0-60, 1/4 mile - not even what the SVX was designed for, so that isn't even anywhere near relevant to anything. is that your only argument? you forget about style, quality, engineering, and luxury (not to mention AWD). can you honestly tell me that given the choice of a Neon or a BMW you would choose a neon? the truth is, the Neon is a bottom-feeder - a base model junky little econo-chick car for folks with a small budget. that's all. you get what you pay for.

92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 06-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
It's amazing what we'll argue about here. The neon is a neon. The svx is an svx. 2 very different cars. I hope you guys can keep this all light hearted, it's not worth losing sleep over.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: