Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 PM

exhaust problems

hi, I have a 97 svx ,I have expected my converters are clogged. and a lack of power that i had b4.
when I drive my car the whole exhaust heats up, and my engine run at a higher temps than usual not over heating but hot.
My muffler get so hot you can hardly touch it and my intake manifold where I could b4 use to touch it, now while it was running now fry a egg on it. I looked in to it, first I thought my converter had excess of carbon deposits and the one of the symptoms was that the hole exhaust would heat up, like I was saying.
I ran mr. gasket cataclean exhaust cleaner threw it along with techron cleaner and seafoam.
I spent a lot of money on chemicals hoping that this would fix this issue.
I now at the conclusion that, I have to replace my pre-cats hopful not my rear cat.
My plan is to cut my pre-cat off and weld in some used cat that are off a 95 that is in a savage yard and not go aftermarket.
I replace all my 02 sensors and i bought all the gasket and replacement bolts for the exhaust.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:24 PM

Registered SVX
Re: exhaust problems

well good luck on yours.
I got the front exhaust pulled off my 97 right now (took the front off from header to midpipe Sunday) to fix up the exhaust leaks.

My front pipes just after the pre cats are getting thin/rusty/shot, and the flanges to the main cat shot too, so replacing all flanges, and getting new pipes both sides after the pre cats. The one side right before the flange, on the top side was like swiss cheese with tissue paper thin metal. Getting some new bents and welded, that is some really heavy duty pipes so it will last.

also ordered new gaskets for the main cat, and the fronts to where they bolt to the header.

GOOD Luck
I am going to post some pics of mine before I get this back on the car and before the heat shields go back on.

does someone have a picture of the factory bottom heat shield for the main cat, mine was MIA, and I want to make one that is about like what stock was, need a pic.

an extra hot exhaust can be a sign of a timing issue…..are you sure your t-belt is on the marks 100%

when my 92 SS turbo had the timing belt off the marks, my exhaust would glow orange, until i found the issue and fixed it (bought that car that way)

Good luck on getting any good cats at a junkyard, all the ones I know of cut them off for the scrap price and EPA laws, they can't even sell used cats around here, only new at any business.

Don't run ethanol, it does kill the guts and clog Cats up, like hairballs

trying to get mine ready for a possible winter service if I go on and sell my 04 outback….? on that though. but would rather put this into backup winter mode than my BRAT…...
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K

Last edited by bheinen74; 11-04-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:12 AM

Registered SVX

usually when i see cars that heat up the exhaust it's usually failing ignition, ignition timing that is off, or too much fuel. you might want to poke out your current pre cats and look at what comes out before putting on the new ones. if you have other issues killing the cats it will kill the new ones. i've seen them get so hot that it will melt the carpet or in one case blew up the bottle jack under the seat.
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside
1969 Chevy Camper Special
1978 Ford F150 w/ stroked 460
1986 Volvo 740 turbo wagon
1999 GMC 2500 Creep Van
1994 Impreza Outback
Old 11-05-2014, 12:32 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Just a thought: check your coils. I also had a lack of power and thought it was my cats but it turned out to be a bad coil.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:35 AM
Some Random Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheinen74 View Post
well good luck on yours.
I got the front exhaust pulled off my 97 right now (took the front off from header to midpipe Sunday) to fix up the exhaust leaks.

My front pipes just after the pre cats are getting thin/rusty/shot, and the flanges to the main cat shot too, so replacing all flanges, and getting new pipes both sides after the pre cats. The one side right before the flange, on the top side was like swiss cheese with tissue paper thin metal. Getting some new bents and welded, that is some really heavy duty pipes so it will last.

also ordered new gaskets for the main cat, and the fronts to where they bolt to the header.

GOOD Luck
I am going to post some pics of mine before I get this back on the car and before the heat shields go back on.

does someone have a picture of the factory bottom heat shield for the main cat, mine was MIA, and I want to make one that is about like what stock was, need a pic.

an extra hot exhaust can be a sign of a timing issue…..are you sure your t-belt is on the marks 100%

when my 92 SS turbo had the timing belt off the marks, my exhaust would glow orange, until i found the issue and fixed it (bought that car that way)

Good luck on getting any good cats at a junkyard, all the ones I know of cut them off for the scrap price and EPA laws, they can't even sell used cats around here, only new at any business.

Don't run ethanol, it does kill the guts and clog Cats up, like hairballs

trying to get mine ready for a possible winter service if I go on and sell my 04 outback….? on that though. but would rather put this into backup winter mode than my BRAT…...
Can you give me an idea on what you spent for that exhaust work? Thanks.