Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-12-2014, 09:00 AM

Multi tranny codes plus other bizarreness

Let me put my problem here on the Board in hope that it has been seen and dealt with by some other SVXers in the past.

I got a 92 SVX last May in great shape, 80K miles with Outback 4.44 tranny replaced in 2007..only 20K miles on it since. It was running perfectly, no codes other than rt. side O2 sensor so I put her up on ramps, took off that O2 sensor w/o any problem and left her idle on the ramps for the 7 days it took for the NTK part to arrive. Installed with the same ease and took her for a test spin..started easily but than was bucking and not shifting into 4th..would stall at stops like torque converter locked. Drove her some more and bucking stopped but 4th gear not there, abrupt shifting, and green Power light ON and Off sporadically..CEL not on except when she would stall at stops.

Power light codes..."current"..none (hard to believe), "prior" were #22 (atm. sensor), #25 (engine torque management), #31 (throttle sensor), and #32 (veh. speed sensor #2)...once again car ran perfectly before it's 7 day idle period.

Checked TPS..0.48V at rest, no spikes running thru throttle up..alt/battery OK, all connectors OK, grounds have been cleaned. Disconnected battery to clear codes, etc.

After 2 days now, the car starts fine, has shifting problem mainly with locked convertor and abrupt shifting but today noticed that when I hit the brakes fairly hard to stop from running in D, I hear a buzzing in the lt. side of the dash area, the temp guage needle flys up to Max and the tach/speed needles drop to 0 and car will stall if I don't take my foot off the brake. If I hit the brakes lightly while driving, no such event occurs, nor does it occur if I hit the brakes firmly with car in D but stopped. Buzzing noise and gauge anomalies occur simultaneously. Locked torque convertor showing up in mpg fall from 75 miles/qtr tank to 50 miles.

Multiple codes made me think the TCU is fried but this new buzzing business with gauge weirdness has me baffled, particularly with level of brake depression playing a part and not occurring if car not moving.

Anything sound familiar here guys?? Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated. Will follow through on any suggestions and get back with results. Car's overall hygiene is very good.

Much Appreciated.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:55 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Multi tranny codes plus other bizarreness

CELs might be from messing around with engine harness connectors near O2 sensor plug. Tranny might be acting up from leaving the car on ramps, that should clear up on its own. Try reseating the connectors and check the ground on the back of the intake manifold.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 AM

Thanks...I took the O2 upper connector off its metal mounting tab to disconnect so didn't get involved with the other nearby connectors. Have though looked at them and they seem well plugged in. Have already made the ground connections on the intake manifold and the one on the firewall "happy". Had hoped the tranny fluid being "elevated" may have caused some SNAFU but 3 days of test driving haven't changed much except for the this new "buzzing sound with temp/tach/speedo bizarre behavior" now present.

Thanks for the ideas...keep 'em coming..
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM

All Hail, Michael from Scranton !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
CELs might be from messing around with engine harness connectors near O2 sensor plug. Tranny might be acting up from leaving the car on ramps, that should clear up on its own. Try reseating the connectors and check the ground on the back of the intake manifold.
Michael....after reading your post i went down to the garage to recheck those four large connectors near the O2 sensor connector. I pulled on the four wiring harnesses that go into them and I'll be damned if the top inboard one pulled right OFF. Shoved it in 'til click and rechecked the other three. Just came back from a test drive and all the problems, codes, gauge screwups are RESOLVED.

Can't thank you enough for making me recheck what I thought had been done! I had fears of new TCU's, transmissions or who knows what.

Craig
Old 01-12-2014, 11:44 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

No problem, glad it was a simple fix

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel