Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 06-24-2012, 09:12 PM

Help me trouble shoot bad am/fm reception

I need help trouble shooting bad am/fm reception
i have a pioneer after market radio so i am only using the antenna to get reception.
i get one station. that is unexceptable....
Old 06-24-2012, 10:12 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Help me trouble shoot bad am/fm reception

Are you sure you plugged it into the antenna, and not the defroster? Try plugging it into the other antenna plug, and double check that it's plugged in nice and tight.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-25-2012, 06:45 PM

hi everything is pluged in i have the 18inch extention pluged from the back of headunit to the black female connector that runs to a plug that plugs into the antenna assembly.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoyes View Post
hi everything is pluged in i have the 18inch extention pluged from the back of headunit to the black female connector that runs to a plug that plugs into the antenna assembly.
There are 2 plugs back there that your extension could have found its way toward. Are you sure it's the right one? If not, try the other one. It's back there somewhere.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-28-2012, 11:14 AM

yes i am sure i am not in the small gray wire antenna that goes to the rear defroster that has a male plug
i have a male to male extention so i wont even go in that plug.

Last edited by kjoyes; 06-29-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:03 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

my radio get all fuzzy when i turn the rear defrost on...does that happen to anyone else?

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 07-03-2012, 11:24 AM

I tested the the antenna with a multimeter for continuity one end on the mast and the other on the connector,and i got a beep so does that mean my antenna is working fine?
if you reception is getting bad with the defrost on it might be a grounding issue.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:54 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
I need help trouble shooting bad am/fm reception
i have a pioneer after market radio ...
Quote:
i have the 18inch extention pluged from the back of headunit to the black female connector that runs to a plug that plugs into the antenna assembly.
Quote:
i am not in the small gray wire antenna that goes to the rear defroster that has a male plug
i have a male to male extention so i wont even go in that plug.
That is the wrong one. The factory antenna cable with the male Motorola plug is the one that goes to the SVX's motorized antenna. You need an 18" extension cable (female to male). Technically, your male to male cable is a gender changer.

See picture here.

Here's how I remember which antenna lead goes where: Imagine if the car's antenna cables could reach the rear of your aftermarket head unit. The correct one that you should use is the one that you could plug directly into the Motorola socket on the back of the HU (if it would reach).

Contrary to what I wrote in my SVX Audio guide (and need to fix), the second antenna (on the rear glass) is a separate section of foil -- it's not part of the rear defogger. You can get noise from the defogger (often caused by bad ground leads back there), but that's due to the proximity, not because the antenna is using the same foil.

After switching to the motorized antenna, if you still have poor reception, you may need to clean the mast and contacts. See this thread:
Does the mast antenna ever go bad? Reception problems.