Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX
2 Questions (car whine )

First off, I had my car in for an inspection the other day; my mechanic tightened up my fan belt as it had been squealing; he passed it for me; I need inner tie rods, a R trailing arm; but he did me a favor and got me the sticker anyways. When I got home I changed the front pads and drove off; I started noticing a whine when I got above 35MPH, It sounds like its coming from the front driver side tire, but im not positive where, maybe under the hood. This whine went away when I hit the gas, as soon as i let off the accelerator tho, there it is again; No other real symptoms tho. Any ideas? could the tie rod ends cause this, is it someting to do with the belt system? is it dangerous to drive, or just a small annoyance.

Secondly, unrelated; anyone know where to find a replacement battery for the svx keychain?

any help appreciated; I gotta make this car last until I graduate in December; its been going 4 years strong. Thanks Guys

Nicknamed the SexVX : )
Old 01-22-2012, 09:18 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 2 Questions (car whine )

I got my battery at Radio Shack.wine I will let the others field the wine question.
Wine as in high or low pitch.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:32 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

There's no such thing as a "fan belt" on the SVX. The fans are electric motor driven. The alternator/power steering belt and the A/C compressor belt can both be tightened, so I'm going to guess that it's one of those that your mechanic tightened. There are bearings in all of the pulleys that the belts turn; any of these can whine if they are bad. The alternator bearings sometimes will whine after a lot or miles are on the car, maybe tightening the belt made it worse. Or maybe it's overtightened enough that it finished off a bearing that was already starting to go.

Did you "turn" the rotors (have the rotor resurfaced, which can be done if there's enough meat left on it) when you changed the front brake pads? That or replacing the rotors should always be done when you change the pads. If not, then that might cause a whine (?).

Does the whine seem to change with engine speed or wheel speed?

A stock SVX keyfob wants an "A27" size battery. Radioshack.com has them, and the brick-and-mortar stores do too sometimes, but not very often. Amazon.com also sells them.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Registered SVX

I am going to post this even though I promised not to do any more advice. I do think this is good advice . I have been there before and done that . Icingdeath88 mentioned the belts. I found if they slip don't tighten them just buy new and replace . Your trying to stop a belt from slipping that has lost its traction( glazed, Cracked stretched ) by over tightening it and putting undue stress on all components involved. Cheaper to change the belt than ruin the bearings in the alternator of PS pump.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:48 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

You can also try belt dressing (conditioner). It stops the squealing and adds traction to the belt. If it doesn't work, then it might be the bearings. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 View Post
First off, I had my car in for an inspection the other day; my mechanic tightened up my fan belt as it had been squealing; he passed it for me; I need inner tie rods, a R trailing arm; but he did me a favor and got me the sticker anyways. When I got home I changed the front pads and drove off; I started noticing a whine when I got above 35MPH, It sounds like its coming from the front driver side tire, but im not positive where, maybe under the hood. This whine went away when I hit the gas, as soon as i let off the accelerator tho, there it is again; No other real symptoms tho. Any ideas? could the tie rod ends cause this, is it someting to do with the belt system? is it dangerous to drive, or just a small annoyance.

Secondly, unrelated; anyone know where to find a replacement battery for the svx keychain?

any help appreciated; I gotta make this car last until I graduate in December; its been going 4 years strong. Thanks Guys
The whine could be a vacuum leak from a hose somewhere. Have a listen with a piece of hose around where it seems to be coming from.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.