SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX
hard start after vacum leak

Hey guys,

I recently had a broken vacum line and got the car to the mechanic luckily... the thing now is that when cold or first start of the day the car doesn't want to start, it usually turns over and dies quickly, then I have to turn it over again and give it gas for a few seconds for the idle to catch. Sometimes while in traffic the idle will jump 500 rpm or so as well but is intermittent usually after warmed up I don't see the problems as much. I dont have any light on and apparently the shop said they fixed 3 vacum lines when I got it in. . What does this sound like to you guys? My manual button is broke so I can't run codes, could it leak vacum leak? Before the main vacum line snapped the first time I had no issues with starting.
Any help appreciated

Nicknamed the SexVX : )
Old 05-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: hard start after vacum leak

I had a similar issue during the winter. Depending on the outside temperature, engine temperature and how long it was since I last drove the car (talking number of hours here, not days), the idle would spike up and then drop so low as to almost stall when I started it. It would bounce a few times before settling at a normal idle. I supected that some combination of a vacuum leak or PCV issue caused oil to get into the AACV and make it stick. Once warm, the IACV takes over and all is fine. Once I track down my minor vacuum leak and make sure the new PCV is working correctly, I plan to intake some seafom into the AACV.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 05-15-2011, 04:17 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 View Post
Hey guys,

I recently had a broken vacum line and got the car to the mechanic luckily... the thing now is that when cold or first start of the day the car doesn't want to start, it usually turns over and dies quickly, then I have to turn it over again and give it gas for a few seconds for the idle to catch. Sometimes while in traffic the idle will jump 500 rpm or so as well but is intermittent usually after warmed up I don't see the problems as much. I dont have any light on and apparently the shop said they fixed 3 vacum lines when I got it in. . What does this sound like to you guys? My manual button is broke so I can't run codes, could it leak vacum leak? Before the main vacum line snapped the first time I had no issues with starting.
Any help appreciated
I don't think you need a manual button to check for codes.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I had a similar issue during the winter. Depending on the outside temperature, engine temperature and how long it was since I last drove the car (talking number of hours here, not days), the idle would spike up and then drop so low as to almost stall when I started it. It would bounce a few times before settling at a normal idle. I supected that some combination of a vacuum leak or PCV issue caused oil to get into the AACV and make it stick. Once warm, the IACV takes over and all is fine. Once I track down my minor vacuum leak and make sure the new PCV is working correctly, I plan to intake some seafom into the AACV.
I have to take the car back for some exhaust work in a week or so, my mechanic knows about the problem im having, should I have him clean up the pvc or does it sound like.a vacum leak was missed somewhere

Old 05-15-2011, 04:44 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
I don't think you need a manual button to check for codes.
I wasn't sure, the last time I ran codes I know I used a method that involved the manual button. Im not sure if running codes would help with my particular problem but it couldn't hurt, do ya know how to retrieve codes another way?

Old 05-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
I wasn't sure, the last time I ran codes I know I used a method that involved the manual button. Im not sure if running codes would help with my particular problem but it couldn't hurt, do ya know how to retrieve codes another way?
Yes look here.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54137

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:02 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

Quote:
What Harvey said and I believe the manual button is required for retrieval of transmission codes.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Old 05-27-2011, 10:54 AM

Registered SVX

So I just spoke with the mechanic on this issue, he couldnt find any other vacum leaks and said since the car is so old, he cant run a lot of the tests that can on newer cars.

Usually after running for a while the car seems to run OK; I dont really know where to start and dont even know where to look; anyone have any idea? I know it was mentioned that seafoam in some of the valves may work; but im not sure what that even means

Old 05-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

Your check engine light does work, correct?

These sound like the symptoms of the Coolant Temperature Sensor failing. You may want to research that.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:34 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
Your check engine light does work, correct?

These sound like the symptoms of the Coolant Temperature Sensor failing. You may want to research that.
Yes it works but I have no light on. Ill try and pull the codes and see if anything is stored. Ill do some research on that sensor, thanks.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:11 PM

Registered SVX

Hey guys,

Where do I find the coolant temp sensor.....I'm gonna swap it out to see if it helps. Im not too good mechanically so a pic would be nice if available but a description would help.

Also I wasn't able to figure out how to run the codes. I think I remember tinkering with some black plugs before, but I forgot, sorry for bein a pain

Old 06-01-2011, 04:42 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

It is on the top of the engine on the drivers side towards the back. Take off the throttle body cover and and look down it is right in that area and easily accessible for once.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Where do I find the coolant temp sensor.....I'm gonna swap it out to see if it helps. Im not too good mechanically so a pic would be nice if available but a description would help.

Also I wasn't able to figure out how to run the codes. I think I remember tinkering with some black plugs before, but I forgot, sorry for bein a pain
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 AM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54001