How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-13-2010, 01:21 PM

What's that clicking sound?

96' LSi 118k -

Yesterday I had just changed the oil, air filter, and had the positive battery terminal off to clean some corrosion.

Today on the way to work I heard a clicking noise coming from front of the car. It sounded like a relay. It clicks about every 3-8 sec and only when moving. No clicking when stopped. It seemed to become more frequent the faster I went, but the second count didn't seem to change at exactly the same rate as the speed. The car seems to be running fine, infact better than before the oil change (I also added some Restore engine additive to the oil).

The check engine light has been on for a while from an o2 sensor code, (it stayed on after replacing the front 2 sensors and the performace seems fine so I gave up on getting rid of it). I have not checked it for new codes yet.

I'm not a car mechanic, but I have a good general electro-mechanical background. Any tips on the cause or troubleshooting would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:08 PM

Re: What's that clicking sound?

Never mind. I figured it out on the way home. The trip odometer was stuck at 230 and every time the 0 tried to roll over it would jump back and "click". Resetting it fixed the problem. I feel a little stupid but after reading some of the other posts I'm glad that is all it was.