How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 PM

Registered SVX
Custom Guitar

Back when I was just 16, I sat down with my dad one day and made a scale drawing. This drawing was of a guitar, with a great attention to detail on it. It had many inlays, including geckos, a dragonfly, and some other small things on it. Over time this guitar was revised, and eventually I came up with a design that I liked.

About 2 to 3 months after starting the drawing, I had made a mock up of my guitar out of pieces of acrylic, plastic, plywood, and wood screws. It was quite rough, but I wanted to size everything up. It served its purpose. The important part of this was the templates that were on the body, as I later used these to trace the body, and route the cavity cover, pick-ups, and Floating tremolo system.

It was about this time I meant a man named Paul. The high school band (which I was then a part of) held an auction once a year to raise money for trips. Paul made a guitar, and donated it to the auction to help raise money so his kid would be able to go on a trip taken every 2 years by the band.

Paul helped me build my guitar, and even became my mentor for my Culminating Exhibition. The CE is a project that seniors have to do as a graduation requirement.

It took quite some time to build the guitar, and as I was not yet employed at this age money came quite slowly. I would save up what I could for material cost. Although the process was slow, it eventually was finished.

I am now 20 years old, and completed my guitar nearly 2 years ago. It is the best playing instrument I own, and sounds absolutely amazing. But I would be partial now, wouldn't I?

Neck-thru design
5-piece Neck (Hard Rock Maple, Honduran Mahogany)
Quilted Maple Veneer on Headstock
Gotoh Tuners with Ebony Knobs
Honduran Mahogany Body
Gold Floyd Rose Tremolo w/ Graphtech Saddles
EMG 81/60 pickup combo w/ 3-way switch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1770.JPG (933.0 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1771.JPG (821.2 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1772.JPG (874.0 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1773.JPG (955.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1774.JPG (891.2 KB, 136 views)

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Custom Guitar

That is a beautiful guitar. Just gorgeous. Classiest electric guitar I think I've ever seen.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-25-2010, 03:41 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
That is a beautiful guitar. Just gorgeous. Classiest electric guitar I think I've ever seen.
Kia ora Cam,

Seconded down this way. I recently helped my son modify the neck alignment, pick ups and switching on his guitar, so latched onto your post.

The natural timber look is great and much more tasteful and superior to the garish look, so often seen screaming for attention. It has the appearance of a nice musical instrument, rather than a painted music box. No doubt it plays well and also provides a feel good factor to your music.

How did you cope with the technical part of setting the frets to provide an accurate scale?

Congratulations, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:35 AM
Network Design Administrator

Very, very nice!
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:11 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Kia ora Cam,

Seconded down this way. I recently helped my son modify the neck alignment, pick ups and switching on his guitar, so latched onto your post.

The natural timber look is great and much more tasteful and superior to the garish look, so often seen screaming for attention. It has the appearance of a nice musical instrument, rather than a painted music box. No doubt it plays well and also provides a feel good factor to your music.

How did you cope with the technical part of setting the frets to provide an accurate scale?

Congratulations, Trevor.
My mentor already had a jig created for his table saw. Although it would not have been hard to create one myself. I will try to explain.

The table saw used a special blade that was very thin, with blade stabilizers on it to keep it from wobbling and make it spin true.The jig consisted of two parts. A piece that slid back and forth on the table, and a piece that moved adjacent to the first. The Blank fret board was double-side taped to the second part of the jig, with lines on the top of the lateral moving piece marked 1-24. I simply lined up each fret indexing mark (1 through 24) with an indexing mark on the first piece that was perfectly aligned with the blade. (a fret calculator was used to layout the indexing lines. 24 passes on the table saw later and it was slotted. I had previously ripped two small strips (barely wider than the fretboard was tall, and about 1/16th" thick. These were glued to the sides of the board. This is known as a bound fretboard. The reason to do this is to hide the fret "tangs" from showing on the side of the fret board.

It was actually very easy. If that was hard to understand (kind of difficult to explain) I could probably get some pictures of the setup when I have some time.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 06-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Do you know what you spent total on parts, the EMGs frets, knobs, floyd, wood etc? Looks really nice!
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 AM

Registered SVX

I believe everything came to just short of 800 bucks. But the labor was ridiculous. I carved the neck by hand as well as the body contours.. If i had to estimate I would guess 150-200 hours of labor.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I'm thinking this guitar is going to stay in the family for a long time! Beautiful work!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-25-2010, 02:08 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

This really is awesome. I have a lot of respect for people who get this involved with instruments.

I really like the looks of your guitar, it reminds me a lot of my peavey grind (bass):

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 06-25-2010, 02:23 PM

i also play bass and that is by far the nicest custom crafted guitar i have ever seen. amazing job !
Old 06-26-2010, 01:55 PM

Registered SVX

Thank you for the compliments guys. I like the look of that peavey grind. Peavey used to make amazing instruments. I have not played anything newer than 1990 that really impressed me, but the nice peavey stuff is pretty rare. I am sure it is out there and I have not been fortunate enough to see it in person. What year was your grind made?

There are a lot of similarities between mine and other instruments. The body slightly resembles a musicman silhouette. The headstock is pretty similar to an Ibanez. And a lot of people think it is a carvin when they first see it because of the neck-thru and natural wood look.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 06-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Hater

very nice, looks like a lot of time and work went into it.

my guitars aren't very pretty, but they get the job done.

if you really want to geek-out, check out this long, but very interesting build:
http://www.exit45.com/VaxII

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-26-2010, 10:36 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
What year was your grind made?
I'm not sure, I'll have to get back to you on that. I bought it used on ebay 4 or 5 years ago and I wanna say the guy said it was already ten years old? I could be completely wrong. I've got a copy of the original posting around somewhere, I'll look it up. It's the only bass that feels right to me, needless to say I got really lucky buying it on ebay not knowing a thing about it...i just liked its looks

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: