Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Airplane builder-upper

@@#$%! trunk cable!...

Went to pop the trunk last week...."Snap!" Dang! Broke the trunk cable. No worries! I'll just use the key like people did in the '80's. WTF! The ignition key doesn't open the trunk!

Okay...I can still get to the trunk from the rear seat (major PITA), and I can re-key the lock to work with my ignition key if I can get the trunk open. My question is, shouldn't there be some kind of trunk release button/lever inside the trunk itself?

Any information is as always appreciated!

-Kevin

p.s. - anyone got a trunk release cable they can part with?
Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: @@#$%! trunk cable!...

It is probably because the ignition key you have is worn down from being used and the ignition itself over time and wear "adjusts" to the key. But the problem is the key is almost never used in the door locks or trunk. Either try another key you have or if you still have one of the original keys for the car, there will be a 4 digit number. Go to the dealership and get a new key cut by that number and it will almost definitely work. (i had the same problem with my locks but after using my recut key, the worn down key I have now works with minimal problems-just have to wiggle it a bit sometimes)

Hope this works and a blank key from Subaru should be about $5 and cutting cost me another $5 roughly. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE NUMBER OR THEY SAY THEY CAN'T CUT IT BY NUMBER FOR SOME REASON, DO NOT JUST HAVE IT "TRACE COPIED" This will only be cutting the new key to the same cut as what you already have and will not do anything. I'll try posting a couple pics showing how much a key can get worn after 18 yrs and 100k miles.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 PM

Registered SVX

Or the key you'r using in the ignition is the Valet key which won't open the trunk.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Airplane builder-upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan View Post
Or the key you'r using in the ignition is the Valet key which won't open the trunk.
Good point ZMan.....Does the Valet key have any distinguishing marks?
When I bought the car, it only had one key. It's original subaru, having the "4" digits, and a "-X" below that.

And 1986nate, the key is DEFINITELY worn. Thanks for the tip on the number code. I'll have to call a Suby dealer tomorrow to see if they can make a dupe that way.....but if it's a valet key, I'm still screwed.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSTG8R View Post
Good point ZMan.....Does the Valet key have any distinguishing marks?
When I bought the car, it only had one key. It's original subaru, having the "4" digits, and a "-X" below that.

And 1986nate, the key is DEFINITELY worn. Thanks for the tip on the number code. I'll have to call a Suby dealer tomorrow to see if they can make a dupe that way.....but if it's a valet key, I'm still screwed.
x is the right key, so there should be no problem. I'm going to bet that the new key will do the trick. Also if you ever have trouble with the door locks, those often times become corroded and sieze due to the lack of use. Just an FYI for anyone who sees this or is doing a search in the future where this may come up relevant.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
It is probably because the ignition key you have is worn down from being used and the ignition itself over time and wear "adjusts" to the key. But the problem is the key is almost never used in the door locks or trunk. Either try another key you have or if you still have one of the original keys for the car, there will be a 4 digit number. Go to the dealership and get a new key cut by that number and it will almost definitely work. (i had the same problem with my locks but after using my recut key, the worn down key I have now works with minimal problems-just have to wiggle it a bit sometimes)

Hope this works and a blank key from Subaru should be about $5 and cutting cost me another $5 roughly. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE NUMBER OR THEY SAY THEY CAN'T CUT IT BY NUMBER FOR SOME REASON, DO NOT JUST HAVE IT "TRACE COPIED" This will only be cutting the new key to the same cut as what you already have and will not do anything. I'll try posting a couple pics showing how much a key can get worn after 18 yrs and 100k miles.
The key number is stamped on the passenger side door lock cylinder.

It's also possible that your key is actually a valet key. Does it work in your glove box? If it's a valet key, it woull have a "Y" stamped on it and the rubber part is gray. If it's not a valet key, it will have an "X" stamped on the key and the rubber is black.

Mike
2001 Audi S8
Old 11-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
The key number is stamped on the passenger side door lock cylinder.

It's also possible that your key is actually a valet key. Does it work in your glove box? If it's a valet key, it woull have a "Y" stamped on it and the rubber part is gray. If it's not a valet key, it will have an "X" stamped on the key and the rubber is black.

Mike
uhh hey mike, read this

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...43&postcount=4

Good to know about it also being on the door lock cylinder

Edit: Also a good idea is to once you have one cut by number from Subaru, go have that cut copied at Wal-Mart or wherever-will only cost you a buck or 2 for each key and then keep your good subaru key in a safe spot. Also when you get it cut by number, they don't stamp the number on the new key so you may want to tape the number to the new key in case you lose the original.

Last edited by 1986nate; 11-23-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Yeah. Well. It has been a long day.
2001 Audi S8
Old 11-23-2009, 09:57 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
Yeah. Well. It has been a long day.
I think we'll let you get by with a warning today
Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 AM
Airplane builder-upper

Thanks for the valet/non-valet information guys! That's some 'key' information to have .

I might go ahead and order a new cable while I'm on the phone with the dealer. They're probably OPMF's (insert a smilie with dollars 'flying' out his rear end), but it'll be the last one I ever have to buy.

Thanks again for the help!

-Kevin
Old 11-24-2009, 05:41 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSTG8R View Post
Thanks for the valet/non-valet information guys! That's some 'key' information to have .

I might go ahead and order a new cable while I'm on the phone with the dealer. They're probably OPMF's (insert a smilie with dollars 'flying' out his rear end), but it'll be the last one I ever have to buy.

Thanks again for the help!

-Kevin
Did you try spraying WD-40 or White Lithium or something else into the lock to make sure it's the key and not that the lock is frozen up from not being used?

When I first got my car, I thought the passenger side door and trunk locks didn't work or my key was junk. Turns out they were just a little frozen up from not being used.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 11-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Airplane builder-upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Did you try spraying WD-40 or White Lithium or something else into the lock to make sure it's the key and not that the lock is frozen up from not being used?

When I first got my car, I thought the passenger side door and trunk locks didn't work or my key was junk. Turns out they were just a little frozen up from not being used.
Yet another easily testable theory. Gonna hit with some Tribolube as soon as I get home.

Thanks!