Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-17-2009, 09:12 AM

Start Issues - worsening

Hi Everyone, I have tried looking through alot of the threads before posting, but now I am more confused. Anyway, I bought a car from a member here,(RadSvx) who had put in alot of work in to this 95 L AWD and fortunately kept meticulous records. However, the day after the car passed inspection the check engine light started intermittently flashing on, eventually the car became more difficult to start, particularly on the colder days and than eventually each time I try. I have brought it to 2 mechanics that can't seem to pinpoint the issue. The second mechanic states that the cooling fans are coming on right from the turn of the key, which is not typical? He recommends bringing it to a Subaru dealership, which I have no problem with, as long as I go armed with a little bit of knowledge, or at least what may appear as if I know what they are talking about, so I dont jacked. The one good thing is, and even the mechanic states ,,is that once it is started , it as strong as bull.
I love this car and looks great, I just wish I was more mechanically inclined. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. Anna
Old 10-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Start Issues - worsening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonefethr View Post
Hi Everyone, I have tried looking through alot of the threads before posting, but now I am more confused. Anyway, I bought a car from a member here,(RadSvx) who had put in alot of work in to this 95 L AWD and fortunately kept meticulous records. However, the day after the car passed inspection the check engine light started intermittently flashing on, eventually the car became more difficult to start, particularly on the colder days and than eventually each time I try. I have brought it to 2 mechanics that can't seem to pinpoint the issue. The second mechanic states that the cooling fans are coming on right from the turn of the key, which is not typical? He recommends bringing it to a Subaru dealership, which I have no problem with, as long as I go armed with a little bit of knowledge, or at least what may appear as if I know what they are talking about, so I dont jacked. The one good thing is, and even the mechanic states ,,is that once it is started , it as strong as bull.
I love this car and looks great, I just wish I was more mechanically inclined. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. Anna

It is going to be the Coolant temp sensor. When they go bad, the CEL will illuminate and the fans will run all the time (The ECU does not know how hot the engine is so it defaults the fans all the time). Replace the sensor and it should fix the starting issues (the ECU does not know the temp of the engine so it cannot trim the Fuel properly and causes a rich start)

If you want, stop down at my shop in Ocean county one weekend and I can confirm the issue and fix it if you want

Tom
Old 10-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Thanks Tom,
You sound very confident , I like that. Also the rich start is something the first mechanic had mentioned. I would love to come down to your shop. If this is something you can do possibly during the week, that would work for me also, since I am off from work for awhile. You can email me at Lonefethr@aol.com with your info and shop hours. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I completely agree with Tom. This is a classic case of a bad coolant temp sensor.

Mike
2001 Audi S8
Old 10-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Thanks Tom,
You sound very confident , I like that. Also the rich start is something the first mechanic had mentioned. I would love to come down to your shop. If this is something you can do possibly during the week, that would work for me also, since I am off from work for awhile. You can email me at Lonefethr@aol.com with your info and shop hours. Thanks.
You can get our location and hours from our site... www.allwelldrive.net

The contact page our numbers if you would like to call and make an appointment. Its not our main gig so we do what we can on the weekends

Tom
Old 10-17-2009, 02:45 PM

I just picked it up from the second mechanic. He states that they had tested the sensor and that it "ohmed out fine." Still likely to be the sensor? Either way, any suggestions that might make it easier to start in the meantime? Thanks again for all who have taken the time with their thoughts.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
I just picked it up from the second mechanic. He states that they had tested the sensor and that it "ohmed out fine." Still likely to be the sensor? Either way, any suggestions that might make it easier to start in the meantime? Thanks again for all who have taken the time with their thoughts.
Did they even attempt at pulling the code(s) that illuminated the check engine light?

I agree it sounds like a CTS problem, but harder and harder starting can be many things. Since yours is a 95, go to the How-To section and pull the code that lit the check engine light...its easy and might confrim the CTS or point in another direction.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.