Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-14-2009, 02:50 PM

My first Svx, nearing completion

Well its been almost 5 months since I got my SVX. I only have about 500. left from my original budget (2k) to fix it up. I got to thank all you forum members for your help, but mostly I do the search and find most info I'm looking for easily and its solved many problems for me already. So far here is some of whats been done:

4 new rotors and ceramic pads
4 new BFG TA/v's
painted stock wheels
exhaust work
all fluids changed to mobil 1 (oil,trans & diff's)
minor body work

still to do:
rear differential bushings - earthworm were are you?
new wheels/tires in spring
paint job - was repainted before I got it, from claret to black. I want to wait til spring to see just how reliable this car is going to be before I dump that much money into it. But I thinking of going back to the original color.
abs- dash light comes on frequently but not always ???

I'm just so glad this car didn't go the death by clunker route, like many a SVX. So far I love this car! yea its heavy & underpowered, but its combination of quiet, smooth, handling and high speed touring made me fall in love with it. the only other car I've owned that I liked nearly as much was my 86 shelby charger, a entirely different beast.

My main complaint is (as tim allen would say) MORE POWER!!! I'd like to do some engine mod's in the future. But first I think I's like to get some 15lb wheels and 20lb tires and slotted/dimpled rotors. Think I could save 10-15 lbs per wheel? that would make some differents I'm sure. Would it be easier and/or cheaper to make the SVX faster via weight reduction (not just unsprung) or engine mod's? I don't want no supercharger or the likes, just maybe 20-40 extra pony's would be nice to go along with 40-60 lb reduction in unsprung weight. Seems possible to me, I'm I dreaming here or not?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: My first Svx, nearing completion

My first car was an '85 Shelby Charger It cost me over $2,500 to fix the entire electrical system including both computers, transmission, and valvetrain..... and even then the turbo never worked It was the bane of my minimum wage, high school existence ..... but I credit that car with teaching me the basics of working on engines, which has paid off far more since.

Pics? Id like to check it out....

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
My first car was an '85 Shelby Charger It cost me over $2,500 to fix the entire electrical system including both computers, transmission, and valvetrain..... and even then the turbo never worked It was the bane of my minimum wage, high school existence ..... but I credit that car with teaching me the basics of working on engines, which has paid off far more since.

Pics? Id like to check it out....
I got my 86 s/c new, but it started to fall apart by 50,000. The reason I liked it so much was 32mpg crusing @70 it was a great combo of mpg/power, but what a cheap build it was. Still just a tad over 10k in the day, nothing else came close for the money except the GLH's .

Pics to come after some buffing please
Old 10-14-2009, 05:14 PM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX

Do you know how to check the abs codes from the control unit under the passenger seat? You should be able to read the flashes after you drive over 12 mph for about 1 minute I think. Park the car, keep it running, then look at the flashes under the seat.