Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-06-2009, 10:20 AM

Need suggestions I am stuck in middle of Engine pull!

Ok I am pulling the engine by myself (lack of friends I guess) anyway I have gone more into the removal than normally required i.e. fenders bumper, side skirts, radiator, condensor etc. I also have already removed the intake manifold which gives me a clearer view. I have removed the four bolts from the flex plate. I have removed two top bolts where the engine connects to the transmission and the two nuts at the bottom. I have removed the passenger side engine mount nut but the drivers side is completely stripped. So I pulled the two bolts that I can see that bolt the mount to the engine but I can't get access to the 3rd bolt due to the steering rack. I am fairly sure that the engine mounting bushing is shot and am hoping it will seperate and allow me to lift the engine but I can't seem to get it seperated from the trans I get about 2 inches at the top (max) and 3/4" at the bottom but it won't shift or budge after that. Any suggestions on how to get the engine mount nut off with the lack of access in that area or what else I could be missing to seperate the engine?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:59 AM

Re: Need suggestions I am stuck in middle of Engine pull!

dowel pins ,there are 2 one on the right side at about the 10 oclock postion the other is at about 8 o clock ,also the engine needs to come out evenly ,the long studs at the bottom will fight you if your on the wrong angle .if you drivers side motor mount is broken it should give you the room to remove the engine ,spray the dowel pins with a good oil like PB BLASTER
since the are metal in aluminium they lock together
good luck
Old 09-06-2009, 11:26 AM

Re: Need suggestions I am stuck in middle of Engine pull!

Thanks for the response I just got it what a PITA! It was a combination of the angle of the engine and the engine mount on the driver's side. It was pretty much seperated but a portion of it was still hanging on I used the engine lift to raise the engine up high enough to crawl underneath and get the 3rd bolt for the mount removed from the engine when I did that as soon as the bolt was loose the engine shifted a little and I knew I had it. I lowered it back down and she slid right out. I was able to see the dowl pins and the engine had originally cleared them but I was doing alot of fighting earlier on trying to get the bottom bolt shafts to clear. Engine mount was the issue I believe. Now I have a huge list of new parts I need though, some of the plastic parts and hoses were so old they just broke apart. Anyway thanks again for the response. !