Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-23-2002, 12:45 PM

An idea for a Mid West SVX meet

last saturday,me and a couple of friends went to this car show thing in streamwood. It was like a meet with all these Honda civic's and mustangs and camaro's. Unfortunately,I wasnt driving my svx. But, I got this Idea. Maybe, me and anyone else here in north-west Illinois can have a meet here. Its in Streamwood,on rt-19 in a Mcdonalds parking lot. There were maybe 20-30 different cars there, it was awesome. If anybody wants to know more about it for a possible meet there, just let me know. I'm gonna try and get some more details about the exact location sometime this week ,probably by wednesday.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Here's an idea for a meet

Hook up with the i-club group (www.i-club.com) and go to the MWIC (Midwest I-Club forum). They have a weekly get together. I hang out with the WRX guys a lot. Good group by and large. Still some losers like any other group of people, online or not.

Todd
Old 09-23-2002, 05:16 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Here's an idea for a meet

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
Hook up with the i-club group (www.i-club.com) and go to the MWIC (Midwest I-Club forum). They have a weekly get together. I hang out with the WRX guys a lot. Good group by and large. Still some losers like any other group of people, online or not.

Todd
I met with the chicago area i-club people. They are way too much into the impreza (hence the name). I say we call our own meet.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-23-2002, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Yes, they're into their cars

But they are Subarus. It's not like I'm recommending you hang-out with a bunch of Neon drivers.

Plus I like the fact that I can meet a bunch of car people on short notice for a beer and not have to schedule a meet for months in advance or drive to another state. Most of them have never seen or been in an SVX. You get instant recognition. Just don't try and race them!

Todd
Old 09-23-2002, 07:08 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Re: Yes, they're into their cars

Quote:
It's not like I'm recommending you hang-out with a bunch of Neon drivers.
Todd

OOOO, Ca$h just got BURNED!

P.S. I'm sure it was all in good fun, or he didnt realize we have a neon enthusiast(sp?) in the house.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 09-23-2002, 07:12 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
OH, BTW, I'm in Arlington Heights fait. Send me a PM if you wanna meet up at this place. My friends have '88 Camaro, '96 Camaro, and a '89 Supra, so I'm sure we would all fit in nicely
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 09-23-2002, 07:21 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Yes, they're into their cars

Quote:
Just don't try and race them!

Todd
No kidding - we did the tail of the dragon this weekend with a bunch of imprezas. Rain, fog, no visibility, standing water on the roads - they didn't care. These guys were hammering into corners at 80mph that were posted as 40!. In the rain! 318 curves in 11 miles. Insane. Needless to say I got sideways quite a few times trying to keep up. I put a permanent crease in the drivers seat and a temporary bruise on my ego.

However, Porter did happen to have no problem keeping up in his SVX. I was glad that someone who could drive was there to represent.

Like Todd said, most of them had never seen or heard an svx before, and it was cool to hang out with them.
A completely different world from an svx meet, though. We usually hang out and stare at the cars. Theses guys live to race around. Most svxers drive pretty calmly during meets and try not to do anything too crazy - the impreza guys were trying to see who could be the craziest. It was fun. I look forward to the next one.
I would be horrified to drive my svx up to one of our meets as dirty as it was from the drive, these guys thought it looked great.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:26 PM

Re: Re: Yes, they're into their cars

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby

the impreza guys were trying to see who could be the craziest.
If I have a B39 turbo or a B4 in my garage, I'd be at every I-Club meet. I can show them how the craziest person is. I was never a fan of a tiny car club. I give my respect to the imprezas and WRXes. They are nice cars. Just not my type of car. Legacy and outbacks, are more of my type from the FHI production line.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 09-23-2002, 08:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
Well being #197 on I-club and one of the gurus of the Tri-state I-club area, got to say that it depends on who you hang with. In tri-state we have several meets a week some in NNJ, some in LI, most of us over there have become very close friends both for car stuff and just hanging. It's great to have other auto enthusiasts. Heck in the Tri-state we have a few honda guys, a mini-cooper guy, and several other non-subie cars that hang with us. As for staring at cars, I personally think that's dumb, subarus are meant to be driven, not stared at!

In Tri-state we do an annualy drive around the NY/NJ/PA/DE area over the course of 48hrs, that was a ball to do with all the impreza guys. As for racing, it's nice to spank them with my XT6 or SVX just so they know where their roots are. We also try to get some of the younger kids to not fall into the street racing F&F riced out crowd that inevitibly leads to dangerous driving. We try to encourage Auto-x, track days, etc.

Once we hammer out the details of the next 48 hr run, I'll be sure to link it to get some SVXs to show!

-mike
Old 09-23-2002, 08:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
It's funny the SVX crowd (some of em) are very much like the VX crowd in my isuzu circle of car people. They seem to like to separate themselves from the rest of the marquee. Maybe cause they were both 10K more than the next model and were low production cars. Dunno, I'm an all inclusive type so I hang with whoever is into cars.

-mike
Old 09-24-2002, 12:30 PM
$VX

At the neon meets I've met some of the nicest people ever. So :P on you. Anyway, I'd be up for it.

- Ca$h
Old 09-25-2002, 10:17 AM
Porter

It was great to meet Immortal at the Dragon meet this weekend... yes we're a bit nutty but we love what we do! Thanks for the compliments man. I'm really glad you were there!

I've been on I-club since the very beginning (back when it was Imprezer's Lair!) and I have to say everybody on there seems to revere the SVX as the fairy godmother of speed... hehe especially after you walk a WRX at well over 100 in a long constant radius curve....

Hehehe.

Subarus are meant to be driven. The SVX is nice in that you can drive the piss out of it, and it's still pretty to look at. The WRX is not what I'd call pretty. Tough looking, but not pretty.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
Subarus are meant to be driven. The SVX is nice in that you can drive the piss out of it, and it's still pretty to look at. The WRX is not what I'd call pretty. Tough looking, but not pretty.
WRXes are neons in disguise.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:34 AM
Porter

roflmao....

You're going to make the WRX owners whine man... they can't help it their styling influences include the Neon and that Toyota hybrid thing.... the Echo?

Last edited by Porter; 09-25-2002 at 10:36 AM.