Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
LCR Pistons 411

ok, so I don't mean to dig up old dirt but I'm finding myself reading back at 05 postings when I searched off something that caught my eye on nasioc.

I noticed on there that they had mentioned that the 2.2t pistons were pretty much drop in replaceable for the EG33 high compression pistons. I noticed that a lot of people tried it on here quite a few years back and that a lot of things were found in this process.

I'm just curious as of late, what besides getting a full long block from LAN are my options for LCR pistons for a turbo build?? Seeing as that LAN no longer sells the after market parts individually.

Are aftermarket WRX or other impreza pistons and rods compatible with the EG33?? I know that rallybob has been doing a lot of work with high compression lately and NA but I'm still looking at turboing down the line.

Please those that already know please inform me so I don't end up reading almost 4 years of postings....

thanks in advance
Johnybeas
Old 11-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Re: LCR Pistons 411

no one wants to tell me anything?? :'(
Old 11-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

PM Old Tom about it.

He and a few others picked up where I left off in the hunt for forged pistons.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 11-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I think this thread had the most info on them.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...+turbo+pistons

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

you might get dizzy reading that thread and I don't think the final info ever made it in there. To summarize:

SVX pistons come way "out of the hole" and ej pistons don't so any piston other than SVX pistons or custom made pistons will pretty much negate your squish area.

If you were to use legacy pistons the turbo pistons would give you too low of a compression ratio; the na pistons would get you in the ballpark but you would have an extremely large gap in the squish area(over 40 thousandths if i recall correctly).
Old 11-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

too low even for a turbo set up???
Old 11-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

its less about the compression ratio, and more about how those pistons are filling he cylinder and combustion chambers in he heads. Considering that the SVX head is unique in its design, the 2.2l pistons will not yeild your desired results.

Tom
Old 11-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Just some dude.

Yes too low even for a turbo setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
too low even for a turbo set up???
Old 11-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Questions answered so pretty much I'm looking at getting some custom forged pistons made, or finding someone like mikecg who had a pair of your (lan) pistons they no longer need/want.

Do the rods from any of other subaru motors fit? could I look at say the aftermarket rods for an sti? or is it a whole different ballpark with those as well?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Just some dude.

If you message obi on these forums you might be able to get him to sell you his set of rods.

Quote:
Questions answered so pretty much I'm looking at getting some custom forged pistons made, or finding someone like mikecg who had a pair of your (lan) pistons they no longer need/want.

Do the rods from any of other subaru motors fit? could I look at say the aftermarket rods for an sti? or is it a whole different ballpark with those as well?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

Well you see, right now I can't afford the turbo and all the rest. So buying the engine components for a build that without a turbo will kill my power, just doesn't seem logical. Thus the reason for my research and figuring it all out while I save my money, because, well... lets just say I'm not loaded lol
Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Just some dude.

Was just letting you know I know of someone who is stalled in their project and might be talked out of them.

Sounds like maybe you should be taking the small turbos on a stock bottom end or na build route more seriously. A built engine and forced induction system isn't a wise investment for someone that doesn't have plenty of spare cash.

Quote:
Well you see, right now I can't afford the turbo and all the rest. So buying the engine components for a build that without a turbo will kill my power, just doesn't seem logical. Thus the reason for my research and figuring it all out while I save my money, because, well... lets just say I'm not loaded lol
Old 11-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

hmm... ok thanks for the food for thought mike!