How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-12-2008, 09:30 PM

Registered SVX
An scan tool for a '92?

I'm looking to get a scan tool for my newer OBD2 cars, and if possible, would like one that would work on my '92 SVX. I've searched this site, and I understand I can read the fault codes off the car, but is there a scanner that can read live data, reset codes and do the other things like you can with the OBD2 cars? Does anyone on this site use one on their cars? Thanks. Bill Z
Old 10-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Re: An scan tool for a '92?

The only one that will read live data is the Subaru Select Monitor. The "new" select monitor (Select Monitor II) will show graphs and such, the old (blue) one will just show a numerical value for each sensor, but it will only show one at a time. They do pop up on ebay from time to time.

As for reading codes, most of the OBDI scanners that do support Subarus, will just read codes the same way you can read them by counting the blinks of the check engine light, except it counts pulses at the diagnostic port.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 10-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Now, before you get the poor guy's hopes up you might mention prices for those "old" Select Monitors that pop up occasionally.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
Now, before you get the poor guy's hopes up you might mention prices for those "old" Select Monitors that pop up occasionally.

Glenn
hehe...I think "stratospheric" is the word you're looking for there. This is not like your OBDII scanner you can buy at Napa for small beans. Select Monitors are (correct me if I'm wrong) well over $1000 (that's thousand, not a typo). That is fairly standard for shop grade scan tools though, the shop I was at last year bought a Snap-On scanner, second hand, for $3500.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 10-13-2008, 02:58 AM
Phil & Belha

You need a laptop, a cable and a copy of the Evoscan software. It reads live sensor data, does datalogging, and it's cheap. No function to read or reset error codes, but you can do that with the blue wires anyway.

http://www.limitless.co.nz

Look at the last couple of pages of the "Memory Dump of ECU" thread for the correct paramenter addresses that TomsSVX found.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38685

For technical info on the ECU and TCU see my website http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 10-13-2008 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:11 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the replies. If I get a laptop, I may try your system b3lha, though it may be a bit beyond me. What is that building in the pic on your website? It's striking. Bill Z
Old 10-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

The last Select Monitor II I saw on ebay went for $150, but it didn't include any cartridges, there is one cartridge that will do 97 model year and older, but I do not know what the cost is per cartridge (and the SMII uses different cartridges than the original select monitor)

I've seen original select monitors go for ~$350 with a bunch of cartridges... The SMII was ~$5000 new, and I am pretty sure the SM3 is the about the same, but it comes with a laptop (And won't work on anything pre-96)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 10-14-2008, 03:12 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsupcar View Post
Thanks for the replies. If I get a laptop, I may try your system b3lha, though it may be a bit beyond me.
I guess it's not such a cheap idea if you need to buy a laptop first. However, you don't need to understand all the techie stuff on the website. If you get the Evoscan cable and program,it will work fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsupcar View Post
What is that building in the pic on your website? It's striking. Bill Z
It's Royal Holloway College, London University, where I studied computer science many years ago and met my wife. It was built in 1879 as a boarding school for girls by Thomas Holloway, a multi-millionaire who made his fortune selling snake-oil medicines. It really is an amazing building to see up close.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 10-14-2008, 05:11 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hello Phil,

I haven't been on this subject in awhile. The last time I was into this there was a problem with the 92 SVX codes. I think it wasn't known how to get the computer to read the codes or something. TomSVX found these? Are all the codes known now? Can you just monitor one thing now like TPS and tranny temeprature? Is it possible with this system to store data over time, data logging? Oh I see that you say yes. What about tranny TC lock-up? That would be neat plotting out TPS and Lock-up verses time.

I also remember someone had a few "gauges" that could be seen on the screen.
Well anyway I got the "stereo" connector! Is that still needed?
I have been using a multimeter and that is certainly ME being accident prone. Watching the voltage on O2's while driving is not good.
I think I would need that "heads-up" lap top bolted to the dashboard or something.
Or just put it on the seat and look at when I am not driving.

Peace,
John
Old 10-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter View Post
Hello Phil,

I haven't been on this subject in awhile. The last time I was into this there was a problem with the 92 SVX codes. I think it wasn't known how to get the computer to read the codes or something. TomSVX found these? Are all the codes known now? Can you just monitor one thing now like TPS and tranny temeprature? Is it possible with this system to store data over time, data logging? Oh I see that you say yes. What about tranny TC lock-up? That would be neat plotting out TPS and Lock-up verses time.

I also remember someone had a few "gauges" that could be seen on the screen.
Well anyway I got the "stereo" connector! Is that still needed?
I have been using a multimeter and that is certainly ME being accident prone. Watching the voltage on O2's while driving is not good.
I think I would need that "heads-up" lap top bolted to the dashboard or something.
Or just put it on the seat and look at when I am not driving.

Peace,
John
Hi John,

The "92 problem" was completely solved by a little bit of extra circuitry in the adapter. We can now reliably communicate with the ECU and TCU on all OBD1 SVXes. You still need the radio connector, but now we know how to make USB cables.

TomsSVX managed to extract all the parameter addresses for the ECU from his Select Monitor and he's promised to do the TCU when he gets time.

There is a new ECU software called Evoscan that has pretty gauges and does logging and plots graphs etc. If you want to log your O2 sensors, this is the one to use.

Currently the only way to read the TCU is my linux program. It can display and log TCU information like tranny temperature and lockup, but it runs in a console window and looks a bit old fashioned.

Hope that helps,

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 10-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I should try and make time for this tomorrow... Or maybe later today if I can get the evoscan cable to reach my desktop

Tom