SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-22-2008, 10:15 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Progress / Issues / Review thread....

Someone else did this and I thought it was a cool idea so here goes, my thread for progress and so on with my SVX.

I've finally gotten out of my lazy rut and spent 2 hours removing the factory CD player, cleaning it properly (lens) and re-installing it. Thankfully it now reads (both commercial and burned) CDs without an issue, unless it's scratched all to holy hell and back.

Problems that have arisen since my purchase:

·Radiator cracked.... along the top and I have a replacement coming from ScubaSteevO once I send the remaining payment (this week I promise! sorry for the delays!)

·Occasional hesitation or roughness on starting up... but evens out normally after about a minute or so. Just started doing this and of course anything out of the ordinary is a concern... I'm guessing it could use new plugs which I will be tending too in the coming week. (I suppose it could also be related to the radiator somehow with it's leak/crack but I'm ensuring it always has plenty of fluid and only really drive it to work and back. Eye is always on the thermostat making sure it's not getting hot)

So that list is short, thankfully... hopefully it stays that way!

After owning my 94' LSi for the past month and some odd days, I still stand with much enjoyment and love for this car, even though I can feel the 20-22mpg. I've learned that 30MPH is this cars sweet spot and that anything above that and in trying to floor it doesn't seem to yield much of a punchy response. I'm unsure if that's the way it is with most more performing cars ( I'm inexperienced...) but that's that.

Couple of things I'm unsure about are:

·Wheel tilting - unless mine is borked and I"m unaware of it, it seems to go up high and then doesn't click or lock into place until it's midway down and goes down even further.... doesn't seem to be any medium or mid point between top and mid-center... I mean , it does lock in the center but it's so close to my legs at that point it's not worth bothering with. The whole tilt/steering thing hasn't even bothered me until this point but now it's only because I know about it

There was something else but I can't even remember it now... I'll come back and edit when I notice and remember it again .

As far as progress goes... to get it up to speed entirely (in my eyes) I've called around a few places for prices on such stuff and here's what I've come back with and still need to do/get:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drilled rotors/brakes - about $275 for both front and rear with brakes.

Hood struts - $40

Fuel Filter - $17.50 I'm surprised at how cheap these are actually!

Radiator installed - $85 (It may not be such a hard thing to do myself but for the price I may just be better off having the shop do the job..)

New plugs installed / tune-up - $80 (Another one of the things I may be able to do but probably feel more comfortable with the shop doing)

Window Tinting @ 30% - $200 *The guy on the phone was like "The car with a lot of windows right?" =)

Front bumper/Rear bumper chip/scratch paint touchup - $150 for each bumper.

Spoiler / Moonroof re-painted - $180 - moonroof is faded severely though I'm thinking I might just have the entire roof done after looking at it again and the spoiler has fix spots all over it and is scratched pretty nicely along the back.

New(er) driver seat - $250 (seat I have isn't really 'that' bad I guess but it is rather dull /hard and the stitching is bad on the bottom seat itself and along the left side it's coming undone.

Drivers side armrest piece - not sure on price, still trying to locate one.

Detailed interior cleaning - $75 (not a bad price I don't think)

Rear ashtray compartment (surrounding console piece) - not sure on price, still trying to locate one.

New(er) rims and tires - ones I have now tend to rub on hard turns and the rims are so-so.

Keyless entry remote/security - still waiting on this one.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
In total for the above I'm sitting at around $1,485. (does not include price of new tires or rims, ashtray or armpiece).

So far my money invested/spent in the SVX has been:

SVX itself: $1,900
Plates/Registration: $87.50
Monthly Insurance: $32.00 (x2) (about to increase for full coverage)
Air Filter: $9.50
Timing belt kit, water pump, 2 rear wheel bearings and labor: $1,015.24
================================================== =======
$3,076.24 total with another $1,485 to be tacked on in the future bringing it up to speed (or close) will bring the total to $4,561.24.

My headlights are yellow and for funzies I called a dealer to see how much it would cost for some new ones:

$425 for left
$425 for right
$425 for center piece!

...in which the guy was like "Holy cow!" while looking up the prices. Needless to say I'm going to try tips and tricks on these forums on cleaning the headlights and so on.

Reliability is the #1 key at hand so with all of those issues aside, the exterior and interior beautifying can commence. Looks like I have a long road ahead of me still in getting her up to speed but at least it's something to look forward to! Threads are useless without pics so I'll be posting some shortly....
Old 07-22-2008, 11:38 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: Progress / Issues / Review thread....

Clint,

It looks like you are really giving that car the attention it deserves!
Old 07-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Pinto Boosting Freak

Send a message via AIM to Evil One Send a message via MSN to Evil One Send a message via Yahoo to Evil One

The wheel tilt.
There is a lever underneeth the column back towards the dash. Thats the tilt adjust.
You are using the swing up lever intended for easing entry and exit.

Jim
Old 07-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post
Someone else did this and I thought it was a cool idea so here goes, my thread for progress and so on with my SVX.

Couple of things I'm unsure about are:

·Wheel tilting - unless mine is borked and I"m unaware of it, it seems to go up high and then doesn't click or lock into place until it's midway down and goes down even further.... doesn't seem to be any medium or mid point between top and mid-center... I mean , it does lock in the center but it's so close to my legs at that point it's not worth bothering with. The whole tilt/steering thing hasn't even bothered me until this point but now it's only because I know about it

Clint

Do you have an owners' manual, and do you fully understand the steering wheel adjustment?

Just in case yours is not borked [], I'll explain the levers and if you already know this just bear with me.

The most obvious lever, the one on the upper left with the little flip top handle marked LIFT UP, that lever is purely to let the wheel up out of your way to make entry and exit easy.

When you pull the wheel back down, there are no click stops with this lever except the position to which the wheel is set and adjusted.

To change the tilt position of the wheel, or to telescope it you must use the other two levers.

First, the tilt mechanism: there is a second lever much lower down in the middle of the steering column, facing the floor. With this lever pulled you can set the tilt height until it suits you, then push back the lever.

Next, the telescopic adjustment: on the extreme left of the column near the dash switches is the locking lever for the telescopic movement. Press this lever down to unlock, then adjust the wheel in or out till it suits. Pull the lever back to lock it.

That's it. Now if you pull the Lift Up lever it will tilt the wheel up out of your lap, and will click back down only into your selected position, and no other.

Hope this helps.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-22-2008, 05:03 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Doh! No, no manual else I would have read it 3 times and already knew better thanks for the info... I'll have a looksy when I get home since I somehow must have missed one...

Thanks