How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Looks and smells great.

Is this a rip-off?

Okay, so I'm pretty decent with body repair prices, but I'm lost on mechanical. I took my pearlie to the mechanic for an oil leak and possibly some maintenence (it just capped 100k and I have no service records from the previous owner; I've had it since 96k). Here's what they would be doing:

Reseal the O-rings (I believe by the oil pump), cam seals, and valve cover seals
Replace the timing belt
Replace all the pulleys/idlers and such for the timing belt
Replace the water pump

All of the parts would be OEM or equivalent. The price including labour would be $1670. I dropped a load when I heard that, but it does seem like a bit of work.

Is that a fair price? Their labour rate is a little on the high side, but I know they do really good work. I would just try to do it myself, but I know a lot of this would be over my head.

Opinions, please! The wife has given me the go-ahead for it, but I don't like to waste my money any more than the next guy. I love my SVX and plan on keeping her for the rest of her natural life, but at the same time I don't want to spend $1670 just for piece of mind.
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 06-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Network Design Administrator

Re: Is this a rip-off?

Thats sounds close to right from my experiences, if not just a tad on the high side.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Okay, so I'm pretty decent with body repair prices, but I'm lost on mechanical. I took my pearlie to the mechanic for an oil leak and possibly some maintenence (it just capped 100k and I have no service records from the previous owner; I've had it since 96k). Here's what they would be doing:

Reseal the O-rings (I believe by the oil pump), cam seals, and valve cover seals
Replace the timing belt
Replace all the pulleys/idlers and such for the timing belt
Replace the water pump

All of the parts would be OEM or equivalent. The price including labour would be $1670. I dropped a load when I heard that, but it does seem like a bit of work.

Is that a fair price? Their labour rate is a little on the high side, but I know they do really good work. I would just try to do it myself, but I know a lot of this would be over my head.

Opinions, please! The wife has given me the go-ahead for it, but I don't like to waste my money any more than the next guy. I love my SVX and plan on keeping her for the rest of her natural life, but at the same time I don't want to spend $1670 just for piece of mind.
This isnt over your head :P nothing really is if you have a set of instructions. This might help you some Save yourself about 1300$ It just take time and a clear mind
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 33L_6CYL___VIN_3.pdf (901.9 KB, 162 views)

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 06-16-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

just some rough addition in my head parts are about $550-$600... For front end service adn valve covers (what you have listed) would cost about $400-$500 at my shop... Considering my labor rate is 1/2 of what you pay at most shops that sounds about right... So pick up your load Thats not horrible

Tom
Old 06-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Looks and smells great.

All right, I'm going for it. My SVX is so nice to me, I suppose I should return the favour. Too bad All We'll Drive is on the other end of the continent .

Oh, and thanks for the link, Wikedjuggalo. That's a lot of information I really would like to make use of. It won't do for this job (time and tools), but maybe in the future I can roll my sleeves up and do it myself! I'd much rather do things myself, but I'm not willing to make mistakes on my pearlie. Information always helps to offset mistakes; then I just have to look out for my own carelessness .
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
-C.S. Lewis

Last edited by Zandar; 06-16-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:49 PM

Zandar,

I sent you a private message.

I think you should reconsider and do the job yourself. I may be able to give you advice or possibly help out.

Ken
Old 06-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX

Just have them do the hard stuff (if any) and do the rest yourself. Last August I indebted myself to Visa $4100 for similar work. Not worth it (especially considering my car would not be running for the next 10 months).

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
All right, I'm going for it. My SVX is so nice to me, I suppose I should return the favour. Too bad All We'll Drive is on the other end of the continent .

Oh, and thanks for the link, Wikedjuggalo. That's a lot of information I really would like to make use of. It won't do for this job (time and tools), but maybe in the future I can roll my sleeves up and do it myself! I'd much rather do things myself, but I'm not willing to make mistakes on my pearlie. Information always helps to offset mistakes; then I just have to look out for my own carelessness .
I personally did (with some help :P) the Timing Belt / Idle Pullys. It isnt that bad trust me it sounds like a terrible job it just take time and it will be worth it. Nothing is more satisfying then working on ya car and knowing you fixed things :P You are lucky enough to have a very wide and knowledgeable community that will be able to help ya through basically any repairs. But by all means if you feel you want to pay someone to do it don't let someone stop you just it sounds expensive

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 06-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Looks and smells great.

Well, I already gave the shop the go-ahead. My wife and I are going out of town and are down to one car, so we decided that we might as well get the work done.

My wife should be getting a car soon, so I think that next time I'll just try to do it myself. This board is a vault of information, and I've used it on several occasions already (thank God for the search function!). I think I'll be able to tackle whatever comes next; which will hopefully not be for a long, long time.
-C.S. Lewis