How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2008, 11:27 PM

Smile U Joint

Anybody ever change u-joints in the driveline? What has to happen to get the clips out? Does anyone know? Please help, thanks Fishtail.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:42 PM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

well, i had it done only cause i didn't have acess to a press at the time. the OEM ones are staked in so when you get them out you have to grind out the stake marks. there are no c-clips on the originals.

rockford auto sells the replacement ones(with c-clips) but they have a grease zerk on them so you can grease the new ones, cool in concept but i think it threw the balance off cause over 45mph my car turned into a giant vibrating cell phone.

the guy doing the install said it was from play in the middle CV joint not anything he did, even though it started as i was driving away from his shop. who knows, could be but hard to diagnose. since then i took that one out and used a drive line from a later year( one with 3 u-joints instead of 2 u-joints and a CV) and the vibration is gone.

there are a few others on the site that have done it with sucess, but i'm not one of them. i may pull the ones from my rebuild shaft and put them in the one i am currently using, but not till it's absolutely nec.