How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-05-2002, 06:52 PM
123taika

Noise from the Rear of the Car

I have a 1992 SVX LSL with 97,000 miles. Due to noise coming from the rear of the car, I have replaced both rear wheel bearings. But, I still have a low rumbling noise. Is it possible that the noise comes from the tires, which are Bridgestone. This noise is more pronounced when driven between 15 and 20 mph. Need advise. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Walter
Old 08-05-2002, 07:24 PM
Kamaleon

ohh.. that sound..

i currently have the same issue but for the front part.. and is not the bearing because it would sound at any speed plus i had the bearings checked by an svx tech at a dealer. (my sound is more like a wooble sound between 15mph and 25mph)

I talked to someone else in this board some time ago about this and it seems that it could be the driveshaft. My front U conection for the driveshaft could be worn out. I havent had a change to check upon this since my precious svx in atlanta and im in texas right now.. (long story but i bought it as my wedding car, for when i get married in 2 weeks)

Ill have that checked and fix afer the the wedding, but if you get it fixed sooner i woul dlike to know what was it and how was it fix.

Old 08-07-2002, 04:47 AM
Jedi Member

Just to let you know, you can get replacement U-Joints from Rockford driveline. Go to their website or check your locl parts/driveline businesses. The mechanic that looked at my car wanted me to buy an entire new driveshaft from the dealership for 550. Three U-Joints from RRR Driveline in town, 27.00.
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 08-07-2002, 05:42 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The sound could also be your rear diff, have you checked the grease in it lately?
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 08-07-2002, 09:14 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Noise from the Rear of the Car

Quote:
Originally posted by 123taika
I have a 1992 SVX LSL with 97,000 miles. Due to noise coming from the rear of the car, I have replaced both rear wheel bearings. But, I still have a low rumbling noise. Is it possible that the noise comes from the tires, which are Bridgestone. This noise is more pronounced when driven between 15 and 20 mph. Need advise. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Walter
Walter,
Is this a "rumble" or a "rubbing" sound? I have a "rubbing" sound, as if the brakes are scrubbing, but, it does not change with the application of the brakes (or the e-brake). When I took it to a shop in town, they said, "don't worry about it unless it gets louder." It hasn't so, I don't worry about it. I've driven thousands of miles since I first heard the noise, with no problems. Let me know if you find the true source. Oh, and yes, I've had the rear diff checked on numerous occasions -- oil's fine.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-07-2002, 09:42 PM
DWayne2910

Noise

Walter
If sound is a rumble, try running car over various
road surfaces...if sound changes, likely cause is
tires.
Dan
Old 08-09-2002, 03:42 PM
red95svx

tires could be making noise

I just recently replaced two of my tires because the alignment was off on my SVX. It was so bad that I chewed up two Bridgestone Potenza RE730's in less than 18,000 miles. One of them had gone completely bald all along the outer edge. I thought it was a wheel bearing because the worn tires were making a very similar noise. From now on I will check my tires every month and I plan on having the alignment done twice a year.