Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

So you not only can't read but obviously can't realize I was the one who brought up that a 5 speed isn't typically as fast as an auto in a drag. Did you see the thread starter posting his 1/4 mile times in an auto of any ratio? Didn't think so. Learn to read. Then you can speak. Until then why are you not studying words.

A 4.11 auto in the same car will be faster in a 1/4 than a 4.11 manual. A 4.44 auto in the same car will be faster in a 1/4 than a 4.44 manual. A 3.53 auto in the same car will be faster than a 3.53 manual. A 3.9 auto in the same car will be faster than a 3.9 manual.

Kept simple sentences for ya. Hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
That's not it... *shakes head* I already know that an auto with the same gearing as a manual will put better drag times down. That isn't what's being compared in this thread, though. You can't just magically change someone's specs just to make your argument work out. It's a stock auto versus a 5spd. The gearing is different. Therefore it makes sense that the 5spd got better times.

In general you would be correct, but this thread isn't "in general." This thread has specifics, which you constantly ignore.

Last edited by benebob; 10-03-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
then why is it that my old 4.11 manual was seconds off the pace in relatively stock form... even faster than OT's heavily modified 4.44? I am talking back when all it had was an exhaust and a dryer duct intake?? I mean I understand the logistics of the whole auto/mt debate BUT why is the SVX such a difference??

Tom
Old 10-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Its a Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
So you not only can't read but obviously can't realize I was the one who brought up that a 5 speed isn't typically as fast as an auto in a drag. Did you see the thread starter posting his 1/4 mile times in an auto of any ratio? Didn't think so. Learn to read. Then you can speak. Until then why are you not studying words.

A 4.11 auto in the same car will be faster in a 1/4 than a 4.11 manual. A 4.44 auto in the same car will be faster in a 1/4 than a 4.44 manual. A 3.53 auto in the same car will be faster than a 3.53 manual. A 3.9 auto in the same car will be faster than a 3.9 manual.

this generalization really only holds true on a built stalled auto. with a slushbox like the svx has i wouldnt be suprised if someone can shift an manual faster. Not to mention it is a simple fact that there is more drivetrain loss and the manual has the ability to launch at higher rpm than the stock auto. which = faster 60'= quicker ET
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post

Wow, and Jason was the one who got banned?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I think we'd better watch it, or this thread is definitely going to get locked

How about this --

An automatic with shifting characteristics and gearing equal to a manual trans will produce faster 1/4 mile times (eliminates human error with clutch and shifts).

An automatic with sloppy shifting characteristic - compared to a manual - and gearing identical to a manual will probably be slightly slower in the 1/4 mile (but more consistent).

An automatic with sloppy shifting and higher (lower numerically) gearing than a manual will almost always be slower than a manual with lower (higher numerically) gearing

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Thank you, bill. It was hurting to read the nonesence after a while.5mt is lighter.Against a built auto it has that single advantage

Anyhow, yeah...I bet if you fixed that egr problem, and mabey worked on shifts a little bit, you should be able to run much faster. Someone with similar modifications who has been at the strip recently could hopefully chime in and let you know what kind of times you should be putting down, so you have a basis of how well your car / you are running
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 10-04-2007, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Wow, and Jason was the one who got banned?
Yeah maybe you should be to for ignorance. JK. I wish Jason was still here and that he resolved his problems with a client he blew up at properly but he isn't and he didn't to my knowledge. I gave you the sources, if you don't believe me read a magazine, its pretty well documented. Only exceptions I've seen are for the WRX 2.0 which needs a specific powerband with its turbo set up. Everything else pretty much conforms to autos being faster.

Last edited by benebob; 10-04-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman050 View Post
this generalization really only holds true on a built stalled auto. with a slushbox like the svx has i wouldnt be suprised if someone can shift an manual faster. Not to mention it is a simple fact that there is more drivetrain loss and the manual has the ability to launch at higher rpm than the stock auto. which = faster 60'= quicker ET
No it holds true to virtually every Subaru made (that is unless Subaru sends built stalled autos for car mags to test). Read your car and driver's or motor trendsfor the past 15 years and you'll realize you're wrong. Comparable subies the auto is faster than the stick virtually every time. Reality is well reality.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
a little while before I sold my ebony, I ran a 15.3 in it, keep plugging away, you'll get those times down.

me...I'll be busy running 12.8's @ 110 with my rex

actually with me driving probably more like 13.1's, but who's complaining?
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot

Last edited by Amazonparrot; 10-05-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonparrot View Post

me...I'll be busy running 12.8's @ 110 with my rex

actually with me driving probably more like 13.1's, but who's complaining?
That must be the fastest rex on the planet with all of 660ccs max! A WRX is not a REX! Doesn't even come close!
Old 10-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
ok ok fine...my wrx

happy??
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot