Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-11-2002, 03:20 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Recommended transmission cooler…?

I figure this topic has been beaten into the ground, but I also don’t seem to be choosing the right words to search the Archive with so here it goes…

I’ve picked up comments about people using B&M coolers…what models? How big is the space where the cooler can be located? Would it be advantageous to get a cooler with its own fan? (Example: B&M 70297, B&M 70298)

And the transmission filter (I have a 92 with the external filter), is that something I have to get from the dealer or are there aftermarket filters available?

TIA
Kurt
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z
Old 07-11-2002, 07:20 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Tranny Cooler

I'm no expert but I just had a cooler put in my SVX. Went with the B&M 70268 (between my cond. and rad., a digital gauge and sender from Summit racing. I stuck with the subie external filter and got scalped for I think $60-$75 for it. Can't quite remember. I would highly recommend the gauge so you can see what your temps are. Actually if you have the time and patience. Put the temp gauge in for a couple weeks, watch your temps and then put a cooler in. That way you get a before and after effect. A fan would be recommended if you spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic. Problem is where to put it. Some have had success it seems putting it in the fender. It really will heat up then due to the lack of airflow. I would think that it would be possible to get a gauge which you could wire to your rad engine fan when the ATF sensor reaches a certain temp (exactly how the set up works fo the engine).
Old 07-11-2002, 07:37 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Re: Tranny Cooler

[QUOTE]Originally posted by benebob
[B]I'm no expert but I just had a cooler put in my SVX. Went with the B&M 70268 (between my cond. and rad., a digital gauge and sender from Summit racing. I stuck with the subie external filter and got scalped for I think $60-$75 for it.

Wow, Bob! You got butchered. I ordered two from a dealer & paid $25.00 for both about a month ago.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:36 AM

Filter

Yea, I thought so too. I asked for the kit but as I have a 95 the guy said you didn't have a kit for yours. It came standard. What B.S. If it hadn't been 8:30 on a Saturday morning I probably would have just said screw it and got an aftermarket filter kit.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:08 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Filter costs...

I just got done talking to the West Houston Subaru dealer and they quoted me a price of $57.80 for the transmission filter. It seems pretty expensive but considering you only change it about ever 30000 miles, its not so bad.

Bob, the way you state it, it sounds like you had a shop put your cooler in...did they happen to mention having any problems putting it in?
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z
Old 07-15-2002, 02:13 PM

Cooler

They didn't say a word about putting the cooler in. Whined and moaned about putting my Koni's on. BOY ARE THEY SWEEEEEET!!!!!!! Did check the bill out. Filter was 63.00