How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2002, 03:57 PM
gcookaustin

Question How many times should I change trans oil to get rid of 10W-30?

In case any of y'all read my post in the General SVX babble, I am a retard and filled my transmission with 10W-30 motor oil and drove around for 1200 miles. I have since drained it once, and filled it with real live transmission oil, and then I let the car idle for about 5 minutes while I put in into drive and reverse a couple of times while on the ramps, and then drained and filled with trans oil again. I figure I have not more than 2 and not less than 1 quart of motor oil mixed in with the trans fluid. Should I change it again? and again?...

Thanks for putting up with me
Old 07-07-2002, 07:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a question. Were you doing this in the dark? How come you didn't notice that the fluid wasn't red?

KuoH
Old 07-07-2002, 07:22 PM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a question. Were you doing this in the dark? How come you didn't notice that the fluid wasn't red?

KuoH
Well, uh, I don't rightly know. I guess amber is close to red when you pour it? Maybe if a Subaru had a light under the hood...it's got all that insulation to help everything overheat, why not a light? grrr....
Old 07-07-2002, 08:18 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh

KuoH
Sometimes, even the most careful person will make a mistake. I have done some dumb mistakes before. I don't think you are helping that him by asking him a smartass question here. That's my job

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-07-2002, 08:37 PM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

Sometimes, even the most careful person will make a mistake. I have done some dumb mistakes before. I don't think you are helping that him by asking him a smartass question here. That's my job

Lwin
It's alright, even if. But I'm a little worried since I'm about to take a 400-mile round trip to Nashville on Tuesday..
Old 07-07-2002, 09:03 PM

Lol...yeah I've wondered that myself. Well I hope your tranny survives the accident. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on my tranny. It's starting to slip more and more, especially in this heat. :-(

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
Maybe if a Subaru had a light under the hood...it's got all that insulation to help everything overheat, why not a light? grrr....
Old 07-07-2002, 09:06 PM

Consider it my resume.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
I don't think you are helping that him by asking him a smartass question here. That's my job
Old 07-07-2002, 11:11 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: How many times should I change trans oil to get rid of 10W-30?

I think you should just take it to a shop with a tranny flush and be done with it. A flush is not that expensive anyways.

Just make sure they put in the right stuff.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
In case any of y'all read my post in the General SVX babble, I am a retard and filled my transmission with 10W-30 motor oil and drove around for 1200 miles. I have since drained it once, and filled it with real live transmission oil, and then I let the car idle for about 5 minutes while I put in into drive and reverse a couple of times while on the ramps, and then drained and filled with trans oil again. I figure I have not more than 2 and not less than 1 quart of motor oil mixed in with the trans fluid. Should I change it again? and again?...

Thanks for putting up with me
Old 07-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Ticallion

.... Not to make fun of you or anything, but LMFAOROTF!!!!
How? And why??
I'd say you're safe where you are right now. If you're not satisfied, drain a little bit of the tranny fluid, and check how clean it is. (Usually red, so you shouldnt see any bits of brown in it)
Make sure you CHANGE the tranny oil filter ASAP. It'll definitely help.
-Ross
Old 07-08-2002, 09:06 PM
gcookaustin

Well, tonight I changed the motor oil (4500 miles) and transmission oil (200 miles) again. Made sure several times that I was putting Motor Oil into the engine and transmission oil into the transmission. Would you believe that with all those bottles out there I almost put transmission fluid into the engine? Fortunately I triple checked each bottle before I put it in. Also I spilled oil all over the driveway again, suprise suprise. But at least now I have only maybe a half quart of motor oil in the tranny. Fortunately I decided to do my transmission filter replacement AFTER I dumped the 6-7 quarts of motor in there, so not much was mixed with the new filter. I put six quarts of motor oil in and six quarts of transmission fluid in; is that about right?
Old 07-08-2002, 09:45 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Just to complicate things... you do know that we use ATF for powersteering too right?

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-08-2002, 10:06 PM
gcookaustin

Oh, you mean...you know, that reminds me, I probably put motor oil in there too, to fill it up...the power steering.

...well, I don't really freakin' care anymore. Just like my quote says, so far so good.