How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Replacing Timing Belt-alignment trouble

I just recently began work on my car again which has been in my garage for a few months now. I am currently replacing the timing belt but am having trouble with the alignment. The crank sprocket is rotated about an inch too far to the right, so the marks do not line up correctly on either camshaft sprocket, which otherwise are rotated to where they should be.

My question is a. How do you turn the crank sprocket when it is completely stuck? b. Does it really matter that the tic marks on the belt don't exactly match up (the farthest one is 5 timing belt teeth away)

Chris

-also I can take pics if they would be that much of a help
Old 05-06-2007, 09:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to UPnorth362
what i would do is put the flywheel bold back in the crank so you can turn the crank to the TDC mark. then turn each cam to its respective timeing mark. Start at the crank, and align the mark on the belt, with the tick mark on the cog. there should be a group of three marks on the belt, use the middle mark. Also note there is an arrow that marks rotation, it should point to the passinger side i think.
Now work counter clock wise, and align the next line of the timing belt with the tick on the passenger side cam cog. Make sure to keep the belt tight and thread it through to the driver side cog.
Now line the mark on the belt up with the tick on the driver side cam cog. keep the belt tight at this point or it will slip.
You should have already installed some type of small pin, like a allen wrench in the tensioner plunger, after compressing it in a vice. Now install the tensioner plunger and pull the pin.
Now rotate the crank 4 turns, and recheck your marks. If they line up you are good to go.
If its your first time, be pacient, it might take a try or two.
Good luck
IT'S 5:00 SOMEWHERE!!!

92 Liquid Silver SVX LS-L
Old 05-07-2007, 01:20 AM

line up marks

Of course it has to be lined up right on the marks. I find that puting the belt on the cam pulleys and using plastic ties to hold it in place works like a dream! Probably would be a good idea , when you get them all in place and the tensioner in place corectly, release the tensioner and then cut off the plastic ties!
Good luck,
Keith