How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Sweet Burning Smell??

Hi Everyone,
I noticed the last 3 days... a sweet burning smell coming from around the AC/Radiator area. I don't see a leak anywhere.. but I wonder if I am smelling burning coolant? I thought it was in my imagination but tonight, I started to smell it coming through my AC vents.. its a soft odor.. just strong enough that I can't ignore it and I don't want to if it's what I think it is!
I am keeping an eye on my car's fluids (not low or noticeably decreasing yet) and trying to see if i can pin point the leak.
Just looking for some advice on where I should check.
Thanks!

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 04-21-2007, 05:19 AM
Homo Sapien Superior

Does it smell like pancake syrup?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Its a Classic!

sounds like coolant smell to me
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Core

You may wanna check under your floor mats for any moisture.

If the heater core is going away, then it does smell this way.
It sounds like the Antifreeze smell to me.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 04-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
Check under the intake manifold on the left side ware the upper radiator hose attaches. My car seems to leak there some times.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus
Does it smell like pancake syrup?
haha... yeah it kinda of does. I don't eat pancakes enough to have thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBeefcake
Check under the intake manifold on the left side ware the upper radiator hose attaches. My car seems to leak there some times.
I followed all the hoses, even on the right and the only jackpot I found was dirt and some oil from the oil burst my ex-mechanic had while replacing valve gaskets. I am going to clean all that area up and keep watch for anything green. I did notice that the patch my dad did to my radiator's right side (which burst like 2 months ago) is starting to leak.. but just a drop... thinking when I'm driving the pressure is causing some of that to spit out and land on something hot and therefore burning it? I am not getting any smoke... just that tiny smell but I'm far from a mechanic so I may be the only one blowing smoke. I just know a smell that wasn't there before, is now.
i'm thinking... i need my new radiator... now...

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 04-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Its a Classic!

its very likely that if its dripping slowly when the engine is fairly cool that it is more of a squirting when the engine heats up alot. So its likely that the radiator is where its coming from. You should be looking to replace it soon anyway with that patch in it.
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.