Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2002, 04:30 PM
I'm just sayin'..........

Question Timing

I have a question regarding the timing chain/belt (you know what I mean...). I can't find anything in my owner's manual about when to change it. I think that My 92 model owner's manual mentioned something about doing it at 60k. It's not even mentioned in My 95 model owner's manual. I also vaguely remember something about the California models having one that would last until 90k. Is there any truth in this? When should it be changed?

Also, I need to replace the driver's window switch. Was the same switch used throughout production or was it changed? When I check the Subaru parts website, I can only find the switch under the 92 model info. Which leads me to another question.....Why is it that the 92 models had the auto up and down feature and my 95 only has the auto down feature?

'95 Laguna Blue Pearl SVX L AWD
'18 Kia Stinger GT Twin Turbo - Sunset Yellow
Old 06-24-2002, 04:53 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Timing

Quote:
Originally posted by LagunaBluebyU
I have a question regarding the timing chain/belt (you know what I mean...). I can't find anything in my owner's manual about when to change it. I think that My 92 model owner's manual mentioned something about doing it at 60k. It's not even mentioned in My 95 model owner's manual. I also vaguely remember something about the California models having one that would last until 90k. Is there any truth in this? When should it be changed?

Also, I need to replace the driver's window switch. Was the same switch used throughout production or was it changed? When I check the Subaru parts website, I can only find the switch under the 92 model info. Which leads me to another question.....Why is it that the 92 models had the auto up and down feature and my 95 only has the auto down feature?
My belt was originally done at 95k. No problems. All the switches are the same for all the years. You can get a replacment from octagon auto in felton, PA (south york county) thats where I got mine.

-Mike
Old 06-24-2002, 05:06 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: Timing

Quote:
Originally posted by LagunaBluebyU

60k is normally recognized as the point to change the belt. Some whiner/whatever in CA started the 90k legislation after losing an engine to lack of recommended maintenance. The OEMs responded by making some belts 1 or 2 mm wider, and I'd bet the farm part of the following year's price increase reflected that they may have to warranty a few belts for free. Gee, I wonder who won that round? Duh!

Anyway, some cars will go forever on a belt, most won't. I'd rather pop one in at 60k and not worry about sitting on the side of the road, myself.

Quote:
Why is it that the 92 models had the auto up and down feature and my 95 only has the auto down feature?
I'm not certain, but I do recall Consumer Reports having a hissy over the auto up feature, claiming that if it could crunch an empty soda can (it did and can) that a child could be accidentally decapitated (or at least get a finger smashed.)
Old 06-24-2002, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Why is it that the 92 models had the auto up and down feature and my 95 only has the auto down feature?
The auto up feature was discontinued because of saftey issues. Saftey advocates complained that a child/infant could be hurt if the switch was hit while they had an arm or leg or whatever body party out the window. I guess it was easier to take the auto up out than install a load/pressure sensor like automatic garage doors have now

B.C.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:15 PM
Network Design Administrator

I suppose that they didnt consider the fact that an infant would never be driving the car... oh well... mines a 93 and I LOVE the auto up feature!!
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:42 PM
calmone

my 92 auto down/up doesn't work. i wonder if the prior owner had it disconnected.

timing belts are ususlly recommedded at 60k. i always figured there was quite a fudge factor built in and changed them about 90k, never had a problem.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:54 PM
billisa

Older Subarus

like the GL's and XT's had a 60,000 interval and the timing belts would go at 60K almost like clockwork. At least no engine damage ensued. Actually, I think automakers should have more built in warnings for things like timing belts, particularly Honda, where a lost belt means a $3,000. repair. To me, a timing belt dummy light set to go off at say 50,000 miles is as important as brake warning, alternator warning lights.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:16 PM
Not as old as Randy

Yup, a light would do a fat lot of good, seeing as how people don't pay the least attention to the warning labels on cigarettes, alcohol, OTC drugs, etc. If they won't follow the directions on something that can kill them, why should they care about a flashing light for a belt? Is their money more valuable than their life? Or maybe we should ask for flashing lights on cigarette packs....

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound mean-spirited. I'm just weary from hearing similar stuff every day. "The school's doing a lousy job of raising my kids." "I don't want to donate any of my time to charity or the community. I want someone in D.C. to take 40% of my paycheck and give it to someone else instead." And the #1 topper of today: "I know I went 14,000 miles on that oil change, but that's no reason for the engine to blow up!" (true story, '96 Bonneville, 3.8 - 9:30 this morning) Gee, I wonder if he's going to blame us or Pontiac.... BTW, he did have a flashing light - it reads "Check Engine Oil", right next to the speedometer.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Question Kinda cranky Beav

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Yup, a light would do a fat lot of good, seeing as how people don't pay the least attention to the warning labels on cigarettes, alcohol, OTC drugs, etc. If they won't follow the directions on something that can kill them, why should they care about a flashing light for a belt? Is their money more valuable than their life? Or maybe we should ask for flashing lights on cigarette packs....

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound mean-spirited. I'm just weary from hearing similar stuff every day. "The school's doing a lousy job of raising my kids." "I don't want to donate any of my time to charity or the community. I want someone in D.C. to take 40% of my paycheck and give it to someone else instead." And the #1 topper of today: "I know I went 14,000 miles on that oil change, but that's no reason for the engine to blow up!" (true story, '96 Bonneville, 3.8 - 9:30 this morning) Gee, I wonder if he's going to blame us or Pontiac.... BTW, he did have a flashing light - it reads "Check Engine Oil", right next to the speedometer.
I agree with you 100% Beav. People are always more than willing to have someone else solve problems they create, or better than that blame them on someone else.

I wonder how long that Bonneville's oil really went? Did you see the sticker or is this what the (insert your expetive here) tell you?

Have a drink of your choice, hug your family and let it go my friend!

Todd
Old 06-24-2002, 08:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

To tell the truth, the car was brought in for a/c work. We always try to catch stuff that would/could be turned against us (you have no idea how many times people try to blame stuff on a garage.) When I went to pull it in I immediately saw the 'check oil light' flashing. Nothing on the stick and a bit of light rapping. I looked at the windshield sticker, did the math, flipped the repair order over and saw the history report which verified the sticker.

So how did it work out, you ask? (awfully presumptuous of me, eh?) "Leave the engine alone for now, change the oil and fix the air" ($700). I'm glad we got the priorities out of the way...

I beat ya to the drink, kinda figured that one out on my own.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:55 PM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by calmone
my 92 auto down/up doesn't work. i wonder if the prior owner had it disconnected.

Mine was like that until I replaced the switches. They had to go:
The auto up/down did not work
Contacts were dirty
Passenger side sometimes did not work
Passenger side button missing; Driver's side about to break off

Check you driver's button; if it's wobbly then the plastic is breaking (or broken) that holds it on good.

...and I like the auto-up. I'm not dumb enough to stick my arm out the window with it going up.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:15 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
[B]Yup, a light would do a fat lot of good, seeing as how people don't pay the least attention to the warning labels on cigarettes, alcohol, OTC drugs, etc. If they won't follow the directions on something that can kill them, why should they care about a flashing light for a belt? Is their money more valuable than their life? Or maybe we should ask for flashing lights on cigarette packs....

Yeah, Beav - I think "idiot" lights should be exactly that. With Toyota audio technology of the '80s politely telling us to buckle up, I'd think we now could do something like -

"Hey, you - yeah I'm talkin'a YOU! -
Pull off 'da road'n put some freakin' oil in me, or I stick yer warranty where 'da sun don't shine - capiche?

NOW, maybe we'll get some attention.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Ron,

That's a brilliant idea; cigarettes packaged like flashers. I can see it know. Ron unbuckles the belt on the mini-trenchcoat of his mentholated coffin nail pack. He speads the front flaps of the package and up pops his favorite filter tip.

The man is a genius. Imagine how this packaging would appeal to teenagers, just to irk their parents. And they say the cigarette companies won't be profitable in the next decade.

Larry III
Old 06-25-2002, 06:14 AM
billisa

Idiot light... good idea

Here's why. Ever notice how many people post on this and other site as soon as their Check Engine light even flickers? They take it very seriously. Cigarette warnings are in no way similar to proper warning lights on cars. As for me, I am less enamored of seat-belt lights than I would be for a 50K timing belt signal. As it is, a component failure that can cost $3to$4K to fix (on a Honda) is worth extra indication particularly since it can easily be forgotton after 4/5 years of driving. It is a real joke that some cars have a yellow indicator for low washer fluid, but no light for a timing belt on an interference engine!

Another reason to have this kind of light is because of ownership changes. Me? I change the timing belt upon purchase unless it's been proven the work was recently done, but here again, I think there are lots of decent car buyers who are responsible and yet may not be up to speed on how much potential damage a timing belt break can do.

I have yet to see an owner's manual that sets out the timing belt change as being any more necessary than the dozens of other items that require interval service. Here again, even responsible owners often don't get a clue at how fundamentally important this service is.