Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 02:54 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
But its only got 7000 miles on it. How much can it be thrashed in 7000 miles? Its barely passed its first oil change. No one has even had a chance to do any 2nd rate maintenance. :-)) Besides, most people who drive a loaner XS are not going to redlining the motor every chance that they get or doing donuts and whatnot.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Don't buy it then. It's like you are buying a used rental car
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
It was never registered or titled. Personally I wouldn't buy a dealer car like this one b/c you know i hasn't been well cared for by those behind the wheel
Yeh!... tht makes sense... . but its my brother-in-law's decision atlast. I will let them know abt this and wait for their decision.

-Pavan.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
But its only got 7000 miles on it. How much can it be thrashed in 7000 miles? Its barely passed its first oil change. No one has even had a chance to do any 2nd rate maintenance. :-)) Besides, most people who drive a loaner XS are not going to redlining the motor every chance that they get or doing donuts and whatnot.
Are you smoking crack? The most important thing for a car is its first 1000 miles and following the break in period. I know every time I get a loaner car that isn't the same thing I have I enjoy it and see what its limits are (well if the dealer service is horrible I'll make up for it too) but then again, I'm sure I'm the only one in the world who treats a loaner/rental car worse than my own.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
But its only got 7000 miles on it. Its barely passed its first oil change. No one has even had a chance to do any 2nd rate maintenance. :-)) Besides, most people who drive a loaner XS are not going to redlining the motor every chance that they get or doing donuts and whatnot.

I'd agree, and (at least it's been my experiance) that "most" dealers who do have "loaner" cars, don't loan them to everyone, just to their favored clients, usually those who have been customers for a long time, who tend to trade their car in every few years, and keep their cars in good shape. Any dealership (new car dealer that is) that is worth it's salt isn't going to give these customers P.O.S. loaners or loaners that haven't been maintained well. Think about it, if YOU brought your car to a dealer for work and they loaned you a beat up POS that needed a bunch of work, would you feel good about them working on YOUR car if they aren't maintaining their own?

As for the price, it's not bad, but I'd bet you can get them to do better.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorflyr
I'd agree, and (at least it's been my experiance) that "most" dealers who do have "loaner" cars, don't loan them to everyone, just to their favored clients, usually those who have been customers for a long time, who tend to trade their car in every few years, and keep their cars in good shape. Any dealership (new car dealer that is) that is worth it's salt isn't going to give these customers P.O.S. loaners or loaners that haven't been maintained well. Think about it, if YOU brought your car to a dealer for work and they loaned you a beat up POS that needed a bunch of work, would you feel good about them working on YOUR car if they aren't maintaining their own?

As for the price, it's not bad, but I'd bet you can get them to do better.
Most any dealer I've been to that keeps the car for an extended period will give you one or at least I've never had an issue getting one. Heck I got a brand new 740i to drive when my Impreza was getting tranny work and that was when I was 21 years old and in college. Proper maintainace isn't just seeing that the oil gets changed but rather seeing that the car is properly broken in. A poor break in period leads to tons of issues (ever wonder why the WRX has only an average reliability from C.R. when every other subaru since the loyale has been above average). Improper break in takes thousands of miles off the life of an engine but then again if you think the dealer spend the first 1000 miles making sure it was broken in properly then by all means buy it. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $17k for the car then would take another $1000 off because it wasn't owned by a person for that time but in reality I wouldn't be looking at it to begin with.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:21 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Are you smoking crack? The most important thing for a car is its first 1000 miles and following the break in period. I know every time I get a loaner car that isn't the same thing I have I enjoy it and see what its limits are (well if the dealer service is horrible I'll make up for it too) but then again, I'm sure I'm the only one in the world who treats a loaner/rental car worse than my own.
No crack here. When it comes to how you treat loaners, you probably are the exception rather than the norm. I can't think of any women that I know that would flog a loaner car, so there's roughly 50% of the population right there. Among men, there are plenty who just want a car that can get them to work while their car is in the shop being repaired. Automotive enthusiasts are a small minority in the population.

I agree that the first 1000 miles are important, but how many people who buy a new car actually follow the break-in procedure anyway?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Rental/loaner car = flogged
Sadly it is the truth. Alot of people beat on them simply because they can.
Even 50% of the people beating on it is too much
non-xt forester = slow (and really the xt gas mileage aint that bad 20/24 is what we are averaging with an AT)
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Most any dealer I've been to that keeps the car for an extended period will give you one or at least I've never had an issue getting one. Heck I got a brand new 740i to drive when my Impreza was getting tranny work and that was when I was 21 years old and in college. Proper maintainace isn't just seeing that the oil gets changed but rather seeing that the car is properly broken in. A poor break in period leads to tons of issues .
Maybe in your neck of the woods, but in NY and Cali (having lived in both places), it's unusual for a dealership to give anyone/everyone a loaner, more often then not they arrange for a "discount" on a rental ("discount"= you can get a better rate on your own)
Either way, I'd take it to another location and have it looked over before buying since it is a used car.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I agree that the first 1000 miles are important, but how many people who buy a new car actually follow the break-in procedure anyway?
I break in all my cars and it isn't about people flogging it. Remember you said it about how many people actually follow the break-in proceedure just proved my point. They don't take care of their own car let alone one they'll turn in a few days later.

Oh yeah and if you boys are frequenting a dealer that doesn't give you a loaner for a few days or a rental from somewhere then I'd be finding another dealer. Why else would you pay the $80 an hour labor?