How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-06-2005, 05:58 PM
crimsonnblue

Wants to die, dont know why...

My car will want to die when I come to a stoplight. In the mornings usually on my way to work. It doesnt have the problem unless Im coasting.... And my rpm ping back and forth under 800 rpm until it dies.(unless I give a little tap of gas.... anyways I cant figure out why. and When I took it to the mechanic to get something else fixed I asked them to figure it out and all they could figure out was then an o2 sensor failed at one point or time.

Anyways that wouldn't be causing it... is anyone else have a problem similar to this. The temp where I live is like 70 in the morning and 90 during the day...
Old 09-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
More than likely cleaning both the throttle body and the IAC (Idle Air Controller) should stop the stalling.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:02 PM
crimsonnblue

Is that something I could do myself or should I have someone else do it?
Old 09-07-2005, 05:27 AM

I have been having a very similar problem since May. The Ohio weather this summer has been like yours. I've replace many things with absolutely no change in performance. This weekend, I plan to pull the throttle body and IAC to thoroughly clean them. I have both of the gaskets on hand. They're only about $15 total. I haven't found any real good "How to" writeups for this, so I'm planning to take a lot of pictures and do a good writeup. I'll let you know if it works.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:51 PM
crimsonnblue

Yea,
definately let me know if this helps. I dont think I could do this on my own. How much do you think this would cost???

So when ur rolling to stop at a light it starts to ping back and forth and if u dont give it gas or stop by the time rpm reaches 0 it dies??? This is what happens to me. Does this sound the same to u?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:40 AM

Sounds very similar. My problem only happens within the first mile or two of driving (engine relatively cold). It doesn't happen every day. Some/most? days are fine.

Here's what it will do:
I start it up with no problem. I pull out of the driveway and head to the stop sign at the top of the street. I let it coast as I approach the stop sign. If it's going to stall, the engine pretty much just quits. There's a little variation in the idle speed. If I notice it and "goose" it a little, it might recover. If it stalls, I drop it into neutral and it starts right back up. This might happen two or three times as I drive the couple of miles to the freeway. Then it's fine.

As for doing it yourself....I'll let you know how bad it is. I have cleaned the throttle body without removing it. That's easy, but it didn't have any effect. To clean the IAC, it appears that you have to pull the throttle body off, then remove the IAC. After I do it, I'll have a better idea, but I would guess that a shop would charge about $150 - $200 for it, if they would do it. I think usually they just want to replace the IAC. I think the part is about $150. Then add the labor, maybe another $150.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:15 PM
crimsonnblue

Okay well, when u do it. Take bunches of pics and post them. Let me know how it turns out. Because to tell you the truth I dont have an xtra 300 dollars laying around.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:52 AM

Well I pulled back the throttle body and cleaned it. I also removed the idle air control valve and cleaned it. Neither of them was very dirty. The IAC valve was not sticky at all. Nothing dirty came out when I sprayed the throttle body cleaner in. I doubt that this is going to fix my intermittent stalling problem during warmup. Only time will tell.

Anyway, I took a bunch of pictures and will do a writeup. It took about 2 to 3 hours. A real mechanic could probably do it in 1 1/2 hours.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:05 PM
crimsonnblue

Sweet, let me know how it runs... and when you post them..

There was another thread on here about cleaning the Throttle body and IAC. u should check it out.