Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Jayahalasi

Turbos (sorry if this has been posted before)

I'm reletively new here and ahven't heard much on the subject but has anyone tried this?

http://www.forcedairtech.com/svx.html

also has anyone had success with using turbos off other vehicles (3000gt or 300 zx)
Old 05-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Apparantly that kit does not produce noticable HP gains.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:40 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Apparantly that kit does not produce noticable HP gains.
no more fuel=no more power... no fuel system included to support the specified power rating of the kit
phil
Old 05-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
If you want more power out of your SVX you have to ask yourself 3 questions

1) How much money are you willing to spend
2) how much time are you willing to put into it?
3) How mechanically inclined are you?

If the answer to all three isn't a very large value, then I'd suggest not trying.

That kit is not a good option for anyone.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 05-17-2005, 09:31 PM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
no more fuel=no more power... no fuel system included to support the specified power rating of the kit
phil
That's not quite true. You can dump all kinda of fuel in, but you wont make much more power. When you start dumping more air in though you start making more power. But yes, you do need more fuel to burn.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Jayahalasi

Are there any good turbo alternatives?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayahalasi
Are there any good turbo alternatives?
Yeah, Longassname's ECUtune Stage III supercharger kit is promising, and he could use the support right now, that is if you are willing to fork over upwards of $5000 (for a good product ) See www.Ecutune.com

-Andrew
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot
Old 05-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Jayahalasi

yeah I know about the supercharger and would love to get one. (and probably will when i can get the 6k). But my question is why are there so few (none?) turbo'd SVXi out there. and was wondering anyone had any success with making one.

P.S. This from the forcedairtech.com "We are seeing about a 80 HP gain with this kit."

Is everyone saying this claim is wrong? (j/w)
Old 05-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
yeah I know about the supercharger and would love to get one. (and probably will when i can get the 6k). But my question is why are there so few (none?) turbo'd SVXi out there. and was wondering anyone had any success with making one.

P.S. This from the forcedairtech.com "We are seeing about a 80 HP gain with this kit."

Yes there wrong, since our fuel system stock cant really push more than 250 HP, even with the rrfpr i dought you would get another 60 hp from our fuel system with out larger fuel injectors. If you some how managed to do you the injectors would be way, way past there recomened PSI rating, and wouldent last that long.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 05-18-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Poor College Racer

Quote:

There are about 4 inherent problems with running a turbo on an SVX, SVXtacy is probably your best source for information about this, seeing as he is one of the very few that is currently turbo'd. From what I know, there are about 3-5 turbocharged SVXers. only one of which posts regularly (SVXtacy)

First problem is piping. just getting the damn thing in the engine bay isn't easy.
Second is fuel delivery, the injectors are not good enough stock, and frankly neither is the fuel pump. (this would require an AFPR (which should raise the fuel pressure one psi for every 1psi of boost))
Third is how to control that fuel and the rest of the ECU. getting a standalone engine management is one way, however extremely expensive (not only in initial cost, but also in tuning partial throttle maps. many many hours of dyno tuning are needed). It also has to be able to deal with the high compression ratio of our engines. while not THAT high, 10:1 is still high enough that its troublesome.

and lastly, getting a tranny that can hold all the horsies without burning itself up.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 05-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Wreckless

drivemusicnow just about nailed it down. I'm a close friend of Sam's (Svxtasy) and the story of his buildup and what not can be seen on his site, www.svxtasy.com

I recently had the opportunity to play around with the software for a TEC III and I must say that the base map generator is very good, and quickly produced a driveable map, even though it would take a decent ammount of time to fine tune it, this would make it far easier to start from scratch with a full standalone like the TEC III on an odd platform like an SVX.

There are also more AFPR's with more agressive boost refrence ratios (such as 5:1 so you'd get 5 psi of fuel pressure for every 1 psi of boost) while these can be helpful tuning aids I would be very reluctant to use one as an end-all solution for an NA-T application like an SVX. Svxtasy opted for an additional injector controller and that has worked well albiet it leaves much to be desired.

Sam has often told me how he never would have started his SVX-T project if he'd known it was going to demand so much of his time and effort and money. I would urge you to be very pessimistic in your planning and err strongly on the side of caution when it comes to both timeframes and overall costs. If time is short and you are not *strongly* mechanically inclined, I would recommend the ECUtune supercharger kit.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Poor College Racer

I was just thinking about this... Did Sam ever consider a megasquirt system? They have a bad stigma about them because they are extremely hard to set up initially, but for the cost of a basic air fuel controller, they offer you almost a full stand alone. I've heard of extremely good results with a variety of nonturbo to turbo conversions. It IS a PITA to set up, however if you can locate someone that is familiar with them, they offer a pretty extensive solution for a small pricetag.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 05-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Wreckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
I was just thinking about this... Did Sam ever consider a megasquirt system? They have a bad stigma about them because they are extremely hard to set up initially, but for the cost of a basic air fuel controller, they offer you almost a full stand alone. I've heard of extremely good results with a variety of nonturbo to turbo conversions. It IS a PITA to set up, however if you can locate someone that is familiar with them, they offer a pretty extensive solution for a small pricetag.
That's exactly right, its a huge PITA. an EE might have a ball of a time setting it up and making it happy but honestly I've not seen/heard of a whole lot of boosted imports running well on a megasquirt system. I don't know how much consideration Sam gave it but I know that he ruled out a Megasquirt very quickly after another *extremely* meticulous friend of ours was thinking about using a megasquirt system for his GT28/air-to-water IC'd Saturn project, but opted for an HKS AIC III instead after seeing Sam's.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Turbo Member

Send a message via AIM to SVXtasy
I love you jeff keeping up on the turbo threds while i am moving BTW my new apt is excellent!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:58 PM

if you listen to sam, he can tell a lot of things that will help cut the time down of the project quite a bit, there's a lot to be said with trial and error, and he's the one to ask about a turbo project, and he's very generous with his info, which is better then other's i've tried to talk to. i met up with a guy in fl, lives about 35 minutes from me, he's got a turbo with the tec II i beleive. the only thing he didn't do is the intercooler, that's the only thing i would change with his setup. he's running larger injectors and the way he setup his intake with all the plumbing and afpr is almost a work of art.

anyways, how do you think the supercharger project came about? he just slapped it together and it worked? the more people do it the easier it becomes. find as much help as you can, and you better know your way around a car. otherwise it's not going to happen.