SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-15-2005, 02:42 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Wheel Stud???

Can just one stud be removed without taking them all out? If not does anyone have a 12-1.25 die I can borrow?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The wheel stud gets pushed out of the hub. The disk has to come off the wheel assembly and then a special tool is used to push the stud out the back. The new stud is pulled into place with a standard lug nut and washers.

I happen to have a broken one right now on the front right. I had my tires balanced a few weeks ago and THEY cross threaded one of the studs. I even aske dthem to use a HAND torque wrench and they said they would.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:23 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I had it all apart a few months ago and could not free the stud. The bolts that hold the abs tone ring in place are rusted badly. From what it looked like all of them had to come out and the tone ring had to be disconnected. I just need to know if you can take one out without removing the whole works. Mine is also the front right wheel. A 12-1.25 die seems pretty hard to come by, I went to a dozen tool places with no luck

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-15-2005, 08:28 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
I had it all apart a few months ago and could not free the stud. The bolts that hold the abs tone ring in place are rusted badly. From what it looked like all of them had to come out and the tone ring had to be disconnected. I just need to know if you can take one out without removing the whole works. Mine is also the front right wheel. A 12-1.25 die seems pretty hard to come by, I went to a dozen tool places with no luck
The tone ring does need to be unbolted. You can get them loose with a BFH, but you can't get them out with the tone ring attached. You also probably need to take the hub off to get the new one in the hole.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300