Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-11-2005, 02:32 PM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
Windows intermitently won't work

Sometimes my windows decide they will not roll up or down. This especially sucks like today when they're all down and won't roll up. Usually when this happens they all quit working up and down and they'll start working again in severa' hours or tomarrow. Could this be the realy under the seat going bad? What else could it be, the fuses are good and it will start working again but it's really annoying. Please help.

Good thing it doesn't look like rain today

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 04-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It sounds like a loose connection to the window switches in the driver door. If you unplug it none of the windows will work.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:52 PM

Nope, checked switches, they're plugged in firmly.

Update: I still have this problem intermittently. Whenever the windows aren't working, the sun roof and power seat won't work either. I went hunting for the window/sunroof/power seat fuse only to find that there is none listed in the manual. Does that crazy relay under the seat handle the sunroof and power seat too?

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 04-25-2005, 08:00 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
I have the same problem in my '92 (except the power seat is not offected by this) but when my windows get stuck theres a weird buzzing noise that comes from inside the door (im guessing its a relay) but im not quite sure. Any help on how to fix this is appreciated.

dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 04-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It's not a fuse if the problem is intermittent. Does it seem to be weather related? (Is it worse when it rains?)
Old 04-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
I used to think mine was weather related but for awhile down here it had been dry and it would still happen on occation.

dustin

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 04-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Relays will buzz if the coils in them are on their way south. If it buzzes during the problem, that would be a great place to start.

But I don't recall there being any relays in the door. You have the door lock actuator, but that would be a technical stretch to call it a relay. (It does have a coil in it though.)

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)

Last edited by Electrophil; 04-25-2005 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Add a sentence
Old 04-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Check to see if any of your lights are going out.
Check your brake lights.
Check if the stop lamp indicator comes on intermittently.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:25 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda3000
Nope, checked switches, they're plugged in firmly.

Update: I still have this problem intermittently. Whenever the windows aren't working, the sun roof and power seat won't work either. I went hunting for the window/sunroof/power seat fuse only to find that there is none listed in the manual. Does that crazy relay under the seat handle the sunroof and power seat too?

There is a relay under the carpet beneath the drivers seat that controls all three of those items. It has a tendency to get a little rusty with age causing a bad ground, which in turn is probably causing your intermittent problem(s).

Dave
Old 04-26-2005, 08:57 AM

Nope, no buzzing or lights going out, just comlpletely silent and unmoving windows and seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
There is a relay under the carpet beneath the drivers seat that controls all three of those items. It has a tendency to get a little rusty with age causing a bad ground, which in turn is probably causing your intermittent problem(s).

Dave
Sweet, if you're sure that controls all three then that must be the problem. I'll grab my spare later. Thanks a lot!

Michael - Duct Tape Man

Old 04-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda3000
Nope, no buzzing or lights going out, just comlpletely silent and unmoving windows and seat.

Sweet, if you're sure that controls all three then that must be the problem. I'll grab my spare later. Thanks a lot!
You might be able to clean it up a bit and ake it last longer, if you so wish.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Network Design Administrator

Being an IT guy, I imediately thought you meant MS Windows... and was ready with the reply: "Working as intended." Bah, oh well.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:13 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
The only thing that happens when my windows dont work is the buzzung from inside the door (when you try to roll the windows up or down)and it only buzzes from the drivers door, the sunroof does the same thing when the windows arent working but the seat works just fine all the time.

dustin

My Locker

Old 04-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Meow!

So it may be possible your sunvisor wires are shorting out.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:25 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
So it may be possible your sunvisor wires are shorting out.

Would this cause the buzzing and the windows/sunroof to stop working? The lights in both sunvisors work, even when the windows wont. The buzzing from the sunroof comes from what I guess is a relay (a little computer chip looking thing that sits inside of a little plastic box type thing) its attached to the inside of the roof of the car and its connected to the wires for the sunroof motor. I havent found where the buzzing from the windows is coming from but its inside the door.

dustin

My Locker