Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-20-2005, 03:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to wynndi Send a message via Yahoo to wynndi
**FAILED inspection for OBDII - HELP!!**

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/wynndi/25678.jpg

Nasty surprise at the NJ inspection station today. I failed the inspection because 4 of the systems checks came up NOT READY (see link above)

These same systems have come up NOT READY on my diagnostic tool forever (2 years) and I never thought twice about it. I have NO check engine light on, or any faults stored. Check engine light works like it's supposed to.

This year, NJ reads OBD II and can fail you for it. My questions:

* Is it normal for a 1996 to have these systems NOT READY?:
Catalytic Converters/Oxygen Sensors/Oxygen Sensors-Heaters/EGR Systems/Evaporative System
* What can I do besides going to the dealer? I'm NOT READY to hand over a blank check!

Thanks for the help, you guys ROCK!!!!

Old 04-20-2005, 03:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
How long was the car running before they tested it?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-20-2005, 03:50 PM

I had driven a good 30 min. to get there. What bothered me was that they turned it on and off. Of course you are supposed to turn it off before hooking up diagnostics.

She was well warmed up.

Old 04-20-2005, 03:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Are you sure it failed because of the Not Ready? I see your gas cap failed. Fix it and try again is what I'd do.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:52 PM

I don't think that the gas cap would throw off the systems:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/wynndi/25678.jpg

The scan is in black and white, the OBD Not Ready's were highlighted and explaned to me as being additional reasons for failure. Plus the OBD/EMISSIONS section says FAIL.

I did get a replacement on the way home and will put the new cap on and run my diagnostic and report back here.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Update:

New gas cap on, ran scan, got:

Catalyst Not Completed / Heated Catalyst Not Supported / Evaporative Sys Not Supported / 2nd air System not supported / A/C Refrig Not Supported / O2 Sensor Not Completed / O2 Sensor Heater Completed / EGR System Not Completed.

Everything else was completed or normal.

Last edited by wynndi; 04-20-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:06 PM

All 96 subaru's come up with the not ready for the OBDII monitors. Subaru notified the EPA and you will not fail a smog check because of the not ready condition. Your gas cap is not holding enough pressure and you failed because of it.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:25 PM

Any other SVX'ers have the same experience?

Last edited by wynndi; 04-20-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:42 PM
SEA Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynndi
Any other SVX'ers have the same experience?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alltrac
....... Subaru notified the EPA and you will not fail a smog check because of the not ready condition. Your gas cap is not holding enough pressure and you failed because of it.
Obviously.......

Perhaps offer to have them probe the tail pipes?
Old 04-21-2005, 04:58 PM

A quick google search

OBD Vehicles Exempt from Readiness Checks
The vehicles on this list include 1996 and newer vehicles that possess unique testing characteristics that prevent them from receiving a complete OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) emissions test. These particular OBD vehicles will skip over the readiness checks and go directly to the MIL (malfunctioning indicator light) check. This list may not be inclusive of all OBD vehicles that require readiness exempt inspections and is subject to change.

1996 Model Year
MAKE MODEL CYLINERS ENGINE DISPLACEMENT TRANSMISSIONS
EAGLE TALON 4 2 Either Auto or Manual
MITSUBISHI 3000 GT 6 3 Either Auto or Manual
MITSUBISHI 3000 GT SPYDER 6 3 Either Auto or Manual
MITSUBISHI DIAMANTE 6 3 Either Auto or Manual
MITSUBISHI MONTERO 6 3 Either Auto or Manual
MITSUBISHI MONTERO 6 3.5 Either Auto or Manual
SUBARU IMPREZA 4 1.8 Either Auto or Manual
SUBARU IMPREZA 4 2.2 Either Auto or Manual
SUBARU IMPREZA 4 2.2 Either Auto or Manual
SUBARU LEGACY 4 2.2 Either Auto or Manual
SUBARU LEGACY 4 2.5 Either Auto or Manual
SUBARU LEGACY 4 2.2 Either Auto or Manual
SUBARU LEGACY 4 2.5 Either Auto or Manual
SUBARU SVX 6 3.3 Either Auto or Manual < I wish it was an option
VOLVO 850 5 2.3 Either Auto or Manual
VOLVO 850 5 2.4 Either Auto or Manual
VOLVO 850 5 2.3 Either Auto or Manual
VOLVO 850 5 2.4 Either Auto or Manual
Old 04-21-2005, 07:21 PM
nnjsvx

When I brought my ($LSI into Nj 2 years ago it failed for the gas cap. A new one fixed the issue and it passed on retest. Just this past month after 20,000 miles it failed emmissions on OBD II I was told. I brought it to a local NJ Approved for Inspection mechanic who found everything OK except it needed throttle body and chamber cleanout which he did for $185 and gave me a new sticker. I had the same thing done to it just after it passed inspection 2years ago as I was reconditioning the entire car. He is a personal friend of my son so I do not think I was taken for a ride. The car seems to run a bit smoother.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:22 PM

Victor! You Rock!!

Based on your reply, I pulled the EPA document that has the info. I'll be presenting it to the Inspection Station tomorrow. I'll even help them with the big words (their database should have had this and saved me the hassle)

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/obd/r01015.pdf

Page 31.

Old 04-23-2005, 08:06 PM

How everything turned out

Sooooooo, I get the car to the Inspection Station Friday afternoon.

I tell the people that I changed out the gas cap and we're ready to go. They look at the "failed" ticket from 3 days ago and ask me how many miles I've driven since then. I tell them 100 and ask why.

The main guy says "that may not be enough to reset your OBD". I tell him "This car is EPA exempt from readiness tests, please check your computer" He kinda starts arguing and says he's gotta hook up OBD II and recheck it. I hand him the EPA document with all the important stuff highlighted. He says "that's for the dealer prep". "It isn't it's the EPA's document for state/federal testing of OBD II."

I ask for his supervisor. She's a little more reasonable, looks at my document, goes to the computer at the terminal. "Yep, this car is exempt".
I say "thanks". She says, "we'll have to dyno it instead". Me: "Ma'am, it's an all-wheel drive, your front wheel dyno will make bad things happen"

She sez "Let me check the computer...is it a manual or automatic?.......OH! sorry, sir, Subarus are exempt from that.

They check the new gas cap, slap on a 2 year inspection sticker and tell me to have a good night.

I think 'a good night is when you educate people who should know better and then keep them from killing your drivetrain' and say to them "I just did"

SVXers, beware, many states are adopting the OBD II test. Go armed with the EPA document!!!

Old 04-23-2005, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynndi
Sooooooo, I get the car to the Inspection Station Friday afternoon.

I tell the people that I changed out the gas cap and we're ready to go. They look at the "failed" ticket from 3 days ago and ask me how many miles I've driven since then. I tell them 100 and ask why.

The main guy says "that may not be enough to reset your OBD". I tell him "This car is EPA exempt from readiness tests, please check your computer" He kinda starts arguing and says he's gotta hook up OBD II and recheck it. I hand him the EPA document with all the important stuff highlighted. He says "that's for the dealer prep". "It isn't it's the EPA's document for state/federal testing of OBD II."

I ask for his supervisor. She's a little more reasonable, looks at my document, goes to the computer at the terminal. "Yep, this car is exempt".
I say "thanks". She says, "we'll have to dyno it instead". Me: "Ma'am, it's an all-wheel drive, your front wheel dyno will make bad things happen"

She sez "Let me check the computer...is it a manual or automatic?.......OH! sorry, sir, Subarus are exempt from that.

They check the new gas cap, slap on a 2 year inspection sticker and tell me to have a good night.

I think 'a good night is when you educate people who should know better and then keep them from killing your drivetrain' and say to them "I just did"

SVXers, beware, many states are adopting the OBD II test. Go armed with the EPA document!!!

Glad you set them straight! I have never had a problem here in California with smoging my SVX. Sounds like they employ idiots with a license to smog. I would look into filing a complaint with your state bureau of automotive repair. The smog check inspection station information including technician name/number should be printed on your paperwork. Good luck in the future with the "SMOG NAZIS"
Old 04-24-2005, 12:28 AM

<<I say "thanks". She says, "we'll have to dyno it instead". Me: "Ma'am, it's an all-wheel drive, your front wheel dyno will make bad things happen">>

i would have let them dyno it. then sue Parsons for a new tranny!