Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2002, 09:49 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Why would you think that sounds stupid? Ask away, that's why we're all here.

Go here for the 'alternator mod': http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/1147.jpg It basically boils down to how do they expect a full 95 amps to pass through a wire rated for 30 amps?

You might check fuel pressure, but how long has it been since the spark plugs and pcv valve and fuel filter were changed?

Beav
Old 03-04-2002, 10:08 PM
srmifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Why would you think that sounds stupid? Ask away, that's why we're all here.

Go here for the 'alternator mod': http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/1147.jpg It basically boils down to how do they expect a full 95 amps to pass through a wire rated for 30 amps?

You might check fuel pressure, but how long has it been since the spark plugs and pcv valve and fuel filter were changed?

Beav
Is there a more detailed chart or some kind of instructions for the mod? I do better when there's something I can read.

Just replaced the fuel filter...spark plugs and pcv valve prolly need to be replaced tho. Here's the confusing part for me tho...I have a battery charger that charges at 2 or 6 amps. I hook up a fully charged battery in the morning...starts fine then...but progressively gets worse over the day. Before I go to bed, I take the battery back out, and hook it back up to the charger. Charging at 2 amps, the battery is pretty full...but on the 6 amp , it's halfway depleted of its charge. First thought for me was alternator b/c of the battery depletion...but any other insights?

Last edited by srmifer; 03-04-2002 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:11 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Swing by a parts store that does free electrical system test (please don't make me use the 'A' word.) Or pay a garage around $15 to check it out.

Beav
Old 03-05-2002, 06:16 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Now to me it would seem a lot easier and more reliable to include a line pressure sensor and allow the TCU to 'learn' new values. Then again I'm not an engineer or programmer.

Maybe you know something that I'm missing, but a 'duty cycle' valve, to me anyway, means that it regulates pressure by frequency of cycles. Being a solenoid it's either on or off. Is it that you're seeing a voltage change as an indication of cycling rate changes? I guess this is all moot as your problems are solved, I just found it interesting.

Now I can see why you were interested in checking your TPS. I kinda came in at the end of it and assumed you were in it for an engine problem.

Beav
No the line pressure voltage to solenoid "A" does not modulate. It is steady with the throttle position and other ECU control stuff.

Yes the voltage for the TRansfer SOlenoid oscillates, does modulate or oscillate when in Drive or 123R. It bounces between 3 and 4 volts if I remember right. The important parts is that when the throttle is floored the voltage goes to zero. Light taps on the throttle will drop the voltage some.

Yes I do agree with you that the measurement of actual line and transfer pressure would be a good feature. Even having gauges hooked up would be good.

The next thing I want to look at is the the the the Lock-up Solenoid. This controls the flow to the heat exchanger.