Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 02-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

No mate that sounds like the stator in the converter is slipping. There is nothing between the 1st, 2nd change that would cause it to be slugish. The forward clutch is on for first, and the band is applied also for second, if the forward clutch was slipping in first, it would still slip in second.

Do a stall test to see what the rpms go to, if they are higher, the stator freewheel is slipping. Which torque converter did you use.

Harvey.
I reused my SVX tc. The one out of the 2.5 GT is the same. I did a band adjustment before installing the tranny. Snugged down then backed off only 1.5 turns. I was planning to back off another 1/2 turn and see what results I have. I am hopping to do this tomorrow after work. It does try to lock up and the rpm have not been that high. 70mph = 3k rpm. That is still higher than before.
The noise that I hear is not present when I am coasting or under slight power. When I apply more pedal there are two different noises, one soft and the other loud.
This is the weirdest thing I've come across. Thank for your help.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 02-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVX-FF

I reused my SVX tc. The one out of the 2.5 GT is the same. I did a band adjustment before installing the tranny. Snugged down then backed off only 1.5 turns. I was planning to back off another 1/2 turn and see what results I have. I am hopping to do this tomorrow after work. It does try to lock up and the rpm have not been that high. 70mph = 3k rpm. That is still higher than before.
The noise that I hear is not present when I am coasting or under slight power. When I apply more pedal there are two different noises, one soft and the other loud.
This is the weirdest thing I've come across. Thank for your help.

Steve
"only 1.5 turns", do what the book says, "3 full turns". This could cause the drag in first. If the band drags it is trying to pull first, with the band trying to pull second. It is acting like a brake on first.

See how it is after you set the band clearence right.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:58 PM

Quote:

"only 1.5 turns", do what the book says, "3 full turns". This could cause the drag in first. If the band drags it is trying to pull first, with the band trying to pull second. It is acting like a brake on first.

See how it is after you set the band clearence right.

Harvey.
Harvey, I asked on the Imprezza forum and never got an answer, but I have a Subaru transmission overhaul manaual put out by the Automatic Transmission Service Guide folks (what Level 10 and others sell for around $20), and it specifies two (2) turns, not three. I've been running mine (out of a 1998 Imprezza) at 2 turns for a couple of months now with pretty much flawless performance (fingers now crossed). The transaxle came out of a car with only 29K miles when wrecked. It was almost perfectly spot on at two turns when I checked it out on the garage floor before installation.

Maybe someone with Subaru service connections could find out why the SVX specs three, but ATSG says 2 for the Legacy & Imprezza (they don't address the SVX one way or the other so I can't speak to that).
Old 02-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

Harvey, I asked on the Imprezza forum and never got an answer, but I have a Subaru transmission overhaul manaual put out by the Automatic Transmission Service Guide folks (what Level 10 and others sell for around $20), and it specifies two (2) turns, not three. I've been running mine (out of a 1998 Imprezza) at 2 turns for a couple of months now with pretty much flawless performance (fingers now crossed). The transaxle came out of a car with only 29K miles when wrecked. It was almost perfectly spot on at two turns when I checked it out on the garage floor before installation.

Maybe someone with Subaru service connections could find out why the SVX specs three, but ATSG says 2 for the Legacy & Imprezza (they don't address the SVX one way or the other so I can't speak to that).
No eye deer,
I can only go off the SVX work shop manual, that states the 3 full turns. The End Wrench, also states 3 for both the Legacy and SVX.

I suppose it could be related to the temp that the box and band runs at? But as you are setting the clearence that the band has, you could try to find the point that the band drags, and back off a bit more. You may have to ask them why.

Harvey.

Old 02-05-2005, 05:15 PM

Quote:

No eye deer,
I can only go off the SVX work shop manual, that states the 3 full turns. The End Wrench, also states 3 for both the Legacy and SVX.

I suppose it could be related to the temp that the box and band runs at? But as you are setting the clearence that the band has, you could try to find the point that the band drags, and back off a bit more. You may have to ask them why.

Harvey.
thanks for the reminder.

I looked it up and the EndWrench site file is dated as a 1998 publication, but says it applies to 90-92 Legacy's and the SVX. I'm hoping some better connected reader will find out if the 93-98 (other than SVX) models made some kind of internal change to 2 turns. My local dealer was started by a Ford dealership when it looked like Subaru might be getting popular. They seem to have little actual experience and haven't been very helpful todate.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:23 PM

Hey Harvey, I have another TC question. I called my local Subie dealer today about the non locking up TC. Gave him the SVX year, 92, the tranny year/model, 97 Legacy2.5L GT, and he belives that the TCU is not talking with the tranny right. That a silonoid is not working correctly. Could this be the case and if so what one might it be.
I have torn down my 96 Impreza tranny and removed all the silonoids. Could I use any of these? There were a lot of metal chunks and shavings in there too.

Pics Linkie

Steve

Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 02-06-2005, 03:00 PM

Registered SVX
2 or 3 turns?

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

I checked my 4.44 Outback replacement trans waiting to go in the car. I marked the bolt before checking, exactly two turns out.

I checked the stock trans that came out and the band bolt was exactly three turns out. This trans was rebuilt by a private shop 20,000 miles ago because of a diff failure. Well, the diff failed again.

Does anyone have a SVX reman trans to check?
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 02-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX-FF
Hey Harvey, I have another TC question. I called my local Subie dealer today about the non locking up TC. Gave him the SVX year, 92, the tranny year/model, 97 Legacy2.5L GT, and he belives that the TCU is not talking with the tranny right. That a silonoid is not working correctly. Could this be the case and if so what one might it be.
I have torn down my 96 Impreza tranny and removed all the silonoids. Could I use any of these? There were a lot of metal chunks and shavings in there too.

Pics Linkie

Steve
Yes it could be the B solenoid, its located on the under side of the valve body. You can see it in your pic of the valve body, its at the top of the pic, a small round unit.

Don't know about the TCU not talking with the tranny right. They talk the same language. If the B Solenoid or wiring, is having an electrical problem, it should post a code. It could have a leakage or sticking problem, with no code. Not hard to replace, worth a try, just give it a good wash and blow job, first.

Harvey.

Old 02-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
just give it a good wash and blow job, first.

Harvey.
must......resist.......temptation.....
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Not hard to replace, worth a try, just give it a good wash and blow job, first.

Harvey.
Ok Harvey, after I give it a good wash and blow job, which I will have my rubbers on for. Should I lube it up before sliding it in or just give it a good ram?

Thank for the info mate. You boys down under are OK in my book.

Steve

Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 02-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Arw come on you guys.

You must realise, that its just, "colloquial technical workshop jargon"

Harvey.

Old 02-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
Lee,

I was having a little flare in my 2-3 shift ever since installing my 4.11 Impreza trans last July. After reading this post, decided to devote a good hour to doing a proper band adjustment. Tightened the adjusting nut up until I could tighten it no more, and then backed off two complete turns. Now, all of my shifts are super firm and crisp and it almost feels like I've installed a brand new trans in my car! Thnx.

When I was taking my younger brother to the Metro Station in DC this past weekend, we were talking about my car, and when I told him it was decently fast for an automatic, he couldn't believe my car didn't have a manual transmission! He said he wasn't paying attention to the shifter (I rest my hand on it when I drive), but found the shifting to be firm in a way that he's never experienced with any other auto trans...

My lil' brother is an engineer btw...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 02-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
SVX-FF are you having a problem where the torque converter will lock up for a short time and then release. Then it will not lock up again until you restart the car? If you are, we are having the same problem. My auto was doing that before I took it off the road. Still trying to figure it out. Let me know if you find anything. Oh PS if you throw the car in Neutral and shut it off and turn it on while doing over 50 the tc will lock and stay locked until you stop again. That is if you are having the same problem.

Tom
Old 02-09-2005, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
SVX-FF are you having a problem where the torque converter will lock up for a short time and then release. Then it will not lock up again until you restart the car? If you are, we are having the same problem. My auto was doing that before I took it off the road. Still trying to figure it out. Let me know if you find anything. Oh PS if you throw the car in Neutral and shut it off and turn it on while doing over 50 the tc will lock and stay locked until you stop again. That is if you are having the same problem.

Tom
I am going to replace my Duty Seloniod B this weekend, I hope. If that work I will let you all know. I has not locked up sence that last few moments the other week. I have not been able to drive it much, new baby and all. I am also working on a write-up to reuse the stock SVX front gears for a tranny swap. It is actully pretty easy.
BTW Tom how do you like those pirelli pzero neros tires on your SVX. I am thinking about getting them. They have been back ordered for so long.

Steve

Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 02-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
best set of rubbers I have ever used. Plus they have a treadwear rating of 400. They are excellent in rain but not great in the snow. Yea let me know what happens.

Tom