How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-14-2004, 06:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
SVX now slower to start

I tried to find my problem already posted but never found anything just like it..My car used to start in a matter of a very few seconds but for some time it has to crank several seconds and sometimes it works best to depress the accelerator a bit, which shouln't have to be done at all with fuel injection. The main problem this causes is that my remote starter doesn't start the car except for several tries as the unit has a very short cranking limiter built in naturally that is to prevent the starter from continuing to crank after the car has started. I haven't replaced the plugs yet and don't know if that would do this anyway because after the car starts it runs fine with the exception of once in a while it is a little sluggish for the first minute or so and then it is fine. So if anyone has any ideas on this , it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Vernon
P.S. the problem is not that the starter is slow , it cranks over fine, the engine just doesn't start quickly..
Old 09-15-2004, 07:48 AM
tlemmons

I am having exactly the same problem. In fact I could have written the first post. The problem just started a few weeks ago so I am wondering if the temp in the morning is causing it. Anyone else know anything about this problem?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Any check engine lights showing up?

We seem to get this problem more often as we get ready for fall/winter. A lot of the time these hard starts are caused by a failed/failing engine temperature sensor.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:33 AM
tlemmons

I think mine came on this morning but I have not had a chance to check for codes. I will this evening.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:27 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
My autostart sometimes has trouble, sometimes doesn't. Has absolutely nothing to do with the temperature or if it's been ran.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
Earthworm,, in reference to a check engine light, mine does come on after driving several miles but the code shows it to be the left knock sensor and the left 02 sensor but I didn't think that would have much to do with starting since the computer is still in open loop when the engine is started for the first time after sitting all day or night,, but I might be wrong about that. Vernon
Old 09-15-2004, 03:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to svxin
mine used to do that the crank sensors were both bad...
Old 09-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Crank sensor, or temp sensor.

Both these sensors can cause hard starting. The difference is if it happens when it is hot or cold.

If it only happens when it is cold, then it is most likely the temp sensor, not telling the ECU to richen the mixture for the start. Once it is hot it will start every time.

If it happens, regardless of the temp, hot or cold, then it can be the crank sensor. This is a magnetic pick up, that depends on the rotational speed of the crank to supply a good signal. If the sensor is going bad, it's output will be lower than it should be, at cranking speed. May be too low to give a clean signal. Once the engine starts the crank speed increases and the signal comes up the normal.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:46 PM
tlemmons

I finally got to check my codes and I get 11, 13, 24, 28. I am assuming my problem is my crank sensor (#11) since I have had this happen in another car also. Seems like when the crank sensor gets old the temp must effect it and it does not work when cold. Does that sound familure to anyone?
Old 09-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
That sounds like it...plus you should always fix issues starting with the lowest trouble code.