How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2004, 09:17 PM

autotrans band adjustment

I just bought a 98 Impreza transaxle to go into my SVX. The transaxle only has 29K miles on it so it should be in good health. Anyway, I though I'd check the brake band while it's easy to access. It took only about 2 turns to tighten up. However, the SVX gets spec'ed at 3 turns.

I looked on the Subaru Endwrench site and the only mention I could find was a 1998 article with the 3-turn spec but they state that's for the 90-92 Legacy and SVX transmissions and to refer to the manuals for other applications. I couldn't find anything on the Impreza, especially for the 98MY.

So, anybody got a manual for a Subie between 1992 and 99 (other than the SVX) that would volunteer to see what it says?

tia...lee

oh, and if you saw something posted like this in the tech section, I deleted it there since that might not have been the right place to ask.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:23 AM

OK, seems like nobody has a manual for the impreza. No answer to a similar question on NASIOC (but I just think they're lazy, somebody on an Impreza forum has to have an Impreza manual).

Anyway, the ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Group) manual for the Subaru tranny says two turns is the correct amount.

So unless someone has a factory book saying otherwise, I leave it at two turns.

This causes me to wonder why Subaru says 3 turns for the 90-92 Legacy and the SVX - are there two types of early 4EATs (90-98 MYs)? Does the three turn rule apply only to the models that had the extra internal clutch plate (as I've heard the SVX uses, but can't confirm). Against this, I thought only the Turbo Legacy had the extra plate like the SVX, but Endwrench makes no distinction.

Old 09-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up

Lee, I don't own a manual which is why I never posted, but I do have a '96 Impreza trans in my SVX and two turns worked for me. I kinda stumbled across it from trial and error though...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-19-2004, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
Lee, I don't own a manual which is why I never posted, but I do have a '96 Impreza trans in my SVX and two turns worked for me. I kinda stumbled across it from trial and error though...

-Chike
thanks, that makes me feel a bunch better & more confidant in keeping it there.