Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-10-2001, 10:19 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bucks and Dough

Quote:
Originally posted by 249SVX

Speaking of elk being extinct, we are starting to get elk in Elk county up here again. I think last year was the first time in 30 or 40 years that licenses have been issued for them, so there must be enough of them to start being a problem. BTW, have you ever seen a BEEFALO?
There is a fellow in Ohio County, Kentucky who has a "Beefalo" farm. Interesting creatures. This guy also raises Ostriches. What a combo!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-10-2001, 02:02 PM
Rockscaler

Angry Re: Re: Bucks and Dough

Runaway Reindeer Shot By Hunter
Blitzen Bolted During Feeding Time

UPDATED: 7:50 p.m. EST December 7, 2001

FRANKLIN PARK, Pa. -- Employees of a Franklin Park garden center got the news they had been dreading on Friday.

Blitzen, a reindeer that escaped from Tee Pee Garden Center on Route 910 and Rochester Road, was shot and killed by a hunter who mistook him for a deer, WTAE-TV's Emily Ryan reported.

The reindeer was one of three featured in a Christmas display at the center, which rents the animals from a Titusville farm.

Two of the reindeer, Blitzen and Donner, apparently wandered out of an open gate during feeding time Thursday. Donner was recaptured, but Blitzen took off.

A homeowner said he saw a reindeer matching Blitzen's description in his yard, about 3/4 of a mile from the center, but he had fled by the time employees arrived.

"We're all very upset and distraught," Tee Pee employee Jennifer Smith said. "We feel like we've lost a member of our family here."

"We hope this will make people more cautious of what they're doing during hunting season. Don't get Buck Fever and shoot at anything that moves."

Blitzen's owner has not decided what, if any, action he will take, and Ryan reported that there was confusion about who would ultimately handle a complaint.

Pennsylvania Game Commission officials said the shooting is a police matter because reindeer are not covered under the deer and wildlife code, but local police told Ryan the incident falls under Game Commission jurisdiction.
Copyright 2001 by ThePittsburghChannel. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Quote:
Originally posted by 249SVX

How in the Hell can you mistake an elk for a whitetail deer? That moron should never be allowed to hunt again and should have his license taken from him. People like that just give the anti-hunting and gun folks more fuel for their fire. MORON!!!!!It specifically states in the hunters handbook(the one you get when you take your test to get your license) to make sure you know what you are hunting and what you are shooting at. Apparently nobody reads that piece of literature anymore. I'm sorry for going off like this, but that crap just burns me up.

On a lighter note, it was legal to shoot a buck or a doe during deer season this year in PA. We got alot of the WHITETAILED deer running arround up here.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:08 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Santa is missing one reindeer....local kids get a rope....details at 6....

249SVX....Yep, your feeling closely matched the statements from the folks down in Virginia...< BTW, have you ever seen a BEEFALO?> No, but there used to be a buffalo ranch beside I-81 near Harrisonburg. Va.; I haven't seen any there for a couple of years now. As for the poor reindeer...they are about as distinctive from a whitetail as an elk....nothing much surprises me any more. One reason I stay out of the woods is the fact that I KNOW the kids that are taking hunting safety classes across the hall from my classroom.....AND the ones who DON'T. Every year, and we have had several so far this fall, someone (not always a teenager) nails some other hunter. "Thought he was a deer!" Sure buddy....deer wear blaze orange this time of year...

Randy: I don't think we have to worry about your Kentucky elk getting into West Virginia. We have river borders vs. mountain borders for Virginia. Of course elk have been known to do some swimming....

"Hey Charlie....come here an check this out! Do my eyes deceive me...or is that two T.V. antennas on a log crossing the Big Sandy?"
Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 12-10-2001, 10:25 PM
still in love with Hannah

poor Blitzen

Then again, if you were feeding an animal that you had to rent for an attraction, would you leave the darn gate open?
1996 Legacy Outback-"Gilda" white with brown trim