Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-15-2004, 04:42 PM
mtbikerco

Engine Light on, dont know what it means

Hi,
Every now and again my SVX will light up the Check Engine. Nothing adverse is apart from the car while this light is on but it is kinda scaring me to see it pop up all of a sudden then disapear either 5min or 30 sec later. I do know that the left outer gasket around the outer piece of metal has a small leak in it, about 1/2 quart per 3000mi. Any help about this would be greatly appreciated.

Also I was wondering about what type of shox are a good replacement for stock to make the car a bit better at handling.

Thank you
Old 06-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Check the how to folder for a document that will show you how to pull up check engine codes and what they mean. Let us know the results.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:37 PM
mtbikerco

Alright, I did the code thing and got 2 of them. 21 and 28. 21 is a coolant temp sensor and I think that is in there because my car was overheating for awhile when my mechanic forgot to hook the fuses to the fans back up. but that was fixed

28 is a knock sensor No.2 (left side), which I have no idea what that is or its function, though it sounds importent. Could any please help with this knock sensor and how to replace it. also should i be looking into fixing the head gaskets because of the leaky one on the left side.

Thank you for your help to get me to find that neat trick out about the svx, I had no idea it would tell you the problems it is having.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
The coolant temp sensor is an easy one to replace, and the part should cost no more than $30 from your dealer. It literally takes five minutes to replace.

The engine has two knock sensors, and their function is to detect, go figure, engine knock. They can be more time consuming to replace.

When you say that the head gasket is 'leaking,' what exactly do you mean? What is it leaking? And are you sure you're not mistaking the valve cover gaskets (which commonly leak a little oil) for head gaskets?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-16-2004, 10:47 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Here's a how-to on the knock sensors, they run about $100
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...or+replacement

I'm guessing the leak is the valve cover gaskets, you would probably not be able to see a head gasket leak (and if you did, you would have much bigger problems). Is the leak you describe oil dripping from the bolts you can see looking down at the drivers side of the engine below the intake manifold? Those are the valve covers, unless your loosing lots of oil, don't worry about it. You might be able to tighten the bolts slightly, but svx_commuter told me they were a special kind of bolt, and usually will not tighten.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-17-2004, 08:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
You might be able to tighten the bolts slightly, but svx_commuter told me they were a special kind of bolt, and usually will not tighten.
You don't say.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-17-2004, 08:41 AM
mtbikerco

It is the valve cover that is leaking a little on the passenger side under the intake stuff. It is just a little moisture that sumulates around the edges. Also, it is dripping off of the bolt a little like you said. What does that mean that the bolts weren't designed to tighten, are they supposed to leak a little like the valves on jets (when you get up to speed they all seel tight as a drum)?

Does anyone know where to get instructions on replacing that knock sensor? How critical is that? should I replace it right away or can I wait a month or so.

Thank you so much for your help so far.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:56 AM
mtbikerco

sorry about asking for a how to, didn't read your posts very closely.